Promethazine/codeine on top of Percocet and diazepam?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Bakin’ Bacon

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Just wondering. Is there ever a good reason to give promethazine with codeine for cough to someone who is already on Percocet and diazepam? The prescriber insisted that we fill the promethazine/codeine.

Members don't see this ad.

Yes, there is a good reason. To wash down the percocet and diazepam, silly! Haven't you ever heard of sizzurp "purple drank"? Hear it really hits the spot during those moments where you start to be able to feel your limbs again....

• Haha
Reactions: 4 users
Yes, there is a good reason. To wash down the percocet and diazepam, silly! Haven't you ever heard of sizzurp "purple drank"? Hear it really hits the spot during those moments where you start to be able to feel your limbs again....
Now I’m wondering if I should report that prescriber.

Members don't see this ad :)
Was the Rx written by Phillip Goode, M.D.?

Reactions: 1 user
how about plain promethazine, if they don't want that, then nope.

Patient better have some really awful lung cancer complications and be using some of that as a post-surgery treatment before I would consider filling that combo. And even then that would probably be a no unless on all those meds while inpatient and I had the hospital records and notes from pain consult or palliative care to prove it.

The prescriber also insisted he get reported to his licensing board.

• Haha
lil wayne had seizures from purple drank so I suppose the diazepam is a prophylactic measure

• Haha
Is their *ever* a medical indication for this combo? Yes, there are rare medical indications for such combos. Is it likely that your patient has that rare medical indication? No, it's extremely unlikely that your patient has that rare medical indication.

Reactions: 1 users