prokinetic agents and receptors

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Hey guys was hoping my colleages in GI could help with a question. I am in psych and had a question regarding some receptors and gut motility. I use mirtazipine quite often and as I am sure you know is a strong 5ht3 antagonist among other effects. I basically was trying to explain the side-effects and figure whether this would cause diarhea or consitpation potentially until I started to reason by other GI drugs then it made little sense.

Alosteron (which I dont think is availabe), a 5HT3 antagonist which I believe was available for IBS-D

V.
Drugs used in gastroparesis as motility agents such as
-reglan with strong 5ht3 antagnosim, with 5ht4 agonism and muscarnic effects

However, mirtazipine is also used in refractory gastroparesis patients?

Seems contradictory uses of the stuff. I understand mirtazpine and 5ht3 antagnoism being helpful for nausea/vomiting/appetite in gastroparesis but if it slows motility of the gi tract down, I cant see how that would be a benefit.

Alsofor reglan, I am guessing the 5ht4 agonism and pro muscarnic effects outweight the 5ht3 antagnoism effect on the gi tract for a net pro-kinetic activity.?

I see tons and tons of patients on reglan and a lot by the time they come to me have TD. I also use remeron a lot and often treat IBS so understanding this stuff is important. Until I realize I didnt understand it as well as I thought!

any help?

Members don't see this ad.