Progress @ Start of Sophomore Year

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PA_dud3

PA-S1
Moderator Emeritus
5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone!
So, probably me just being neurotic, but I'd like to just check in with some others to see how I could maybe improve in general and to just see how I am doing in terms of everything app-wise. I am planning on applying in Summer 2021 and taking MCAT in spring of same.

Prereq Coursework:

Completed
:
cGPA: 3.96 sGPA 3.90
General Chem I - (A-)
General Chem II - (A)
Gen Bio I - (A)
Intro Psych - (A)
Univ Writing/Research (Eng) - (A)
Stats (AP)

In Progress:
Orgo I
Gen Bio II

Planned:
Orgo II (Spring 2020)
Sociology (Spring 2020? Not sure yet)
Biochemistry (Fall 2020)
Physics 1 (Fall 2020)
Physics 2 (Spring 2021)
Statstics? (Spring 2021)
Genetics (Fall 2021)
Second English (Fall 2021)
Anatomy & Physiology (Spring 2022)

ECs:
Clinical:
Employment - Admin. Assist @ Nephrologist's Office/Clinic (some of this is similar to scribe work so I am not entirely sure how to classify it clinical or not): ~ 52 hrs
Employment - Telemetry Monitor Tech @ Hospital: ~ 85 hrs

Volunteering
:
Nonclinical - Food Bank ~ 40 hrs

Shadowing
:
Nephrologists (MD): ~37 hrs
Family Physicians (MD): ~9 hrs
(Plan doing on DO Card and DO FM)

Also have a bit of research and 1 poster.

All ECs will be continued and fleshed out further by the app season with exception of research possibly.

I am not sure if it would be advisable to add/remove classes based on my school "list" below. These are very tentative selections and made really only to satisfy my anxiousness (lol).

UNC Chapel Hill (In-State)
WFU (In-State)
ECU Brody SoM (In-State)
CUSOM (In-State)
WVSOM
VCOM - Virginia
VCOM - Carolinas
LMU DCOM
PCOM - Georgia
UP-KYCOM
OU - HCOM
LECOM
ACOM

I know I have a ways more to go, but it just helps me to have as much laid out in front of me as possible and it really helps me to confirm everything is as it should be before I go too far to change anything.

Any help or advice you could offer in regards to my overall progress would be greatly appreciated. Any suggestions, comments, critiques, or substitutions would also be welcome of course!

Thanks so much for any help you can provide!

@Goro @Angus Avagadro

Dd3

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
I honestly feel you’re on the right track. As with anything, just don’t overload a semester with either too many hard courses or a bunch of extracurriculars since you’re entering into your upper divisional courses. However, whatever you’ve been doing so far seems to be working :)!

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
You are definitely on the right track! As PapaGuava said, don't overload your semesters. I would limit courses with labs to 2 per semester, (3 course with labs can definitely get very challenging!)

Members don't see this ad :)
Have time to pursue hobbies???

On track, but make sure to relax and actually enjoy life and your time in undergrad.

You are on track! Work hard to maintain that GPA, because your future classes is likely going to get harder. Have a competitive MCAT score to supplement that GPA too!