Programs With Strong Stroke Training

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

filedsearcher

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am applying/interviewng this year. Currently have an interest in doing a stroke fellowship and would like to go to a program that has a strong training in strokes.

How/Where can I find info on programs that are strong in stroke education?
What programs are know/ranked highest for stroke training?

Thank you

Members don't see this ad.

Hi filedsearcher,
I posted this reply to the 'fellowship' question. Hope this helps.
-----------------
Stroke fellowships are different from Neurocritical care. Also because the ACGME requirements for 'Vascular Neurology' fellowships are different from the UCNS requirements for Neurocritical care certification. Till 2008 someone with a NICU fellowship could also take the 'Vasc Neuro' boards and vice versa, but now these fields have gone separate ways.
Most NICU fellowships will not involve dedicated 'Acute stroke' management and subsequent follow up. Certainly stroke fellows go not manage TBI, Status or neuromuscular illnesses. Both manage bleeds (ICH).
I interviewed at quite a few places at the major programs for Stroke as well as NICU and shared my experiences with friends who did the same. Most places have separate stroke and NICU services. But fellows rotate for a few months on either services as a part of their training.
The only places where it is still possible (as of now) to combine stroke with NICU are MGH, Jefferson and UCSF, but this may change.
It is also important to see which faculty are renowned and academically more accomplished. These programs do not necessarily have the best (top 20 or so) residency training, but have the best NICU or Stroke programs in the country. Most people (including colleagues and faculty at major programs) I spoke to recommend the following programs as probably the best. It goes without saying that all these programs are big on research and publications.
For NICU:
Columbia: fantastic NICU, Stephan Mayer is a major strength to the program. But some other faculty have recently left.
Mayo Clinic: Wijdicks and Manno are a strength.
MGH: Lee Schwamm is a strength. Walter Koroshetz was the former vice chair in neurology and now is the associate director of NINDS.
UCLA: Paul Vespa is a strength. Excellent multimodality neuro-monitoring.
UCSF: J Claude Hemphill is a strength. Daryl Gress has now moved to U Va. Excellent multimodality neuro-monitoring.
UVa: among the first NICU programs. Has had very prominent people including Thomas Bleck (who moved to Northwestern). Now Daryl Gress is chair
Wash U: Michael Diringer is a strength. Tremendous research on PET imaging in NICU.
Hopkins: Mirski is a prominent name. But the program appears to be anesthesia dominated, if that matters to you.
I also interviewed at CCF- but it had a lot of turn over recently. Michael DeGeorgia has moved to Case Western. Penn is a new program, but appears good. Andrew Kofke is a strength. Duke: is good, Graffagnino is a strength.

For Stroke: The best stroke programs are in major cities with high volume of stroke patients. The future of stroke care is 'telemedicine'. At some programs that I saw, a single center is providing stroke coverage to over 10 hospitals and multiple ERs using telemedicine. Whenever a patient shows up to any ER, say 50 miles away, the 'stroke beeper goes on' so the stroke fellow/attending gets notified immediately. They access the telemed system and get connected immediately to the peripheral ER, do a quick NIHSS, authorize thrombolysis and get the patient transferred to their center. This gives them a high volume of patients in treatable time windows for intravenous and endovascular thrombolysis. This I felt was fantastic. These programs did a high volume of intra-arterial as well as endovasc thrombolysis. There are regular protocols for CT/CTA/CT Perfusion. Very few programs in the US have a telemed stroke program.
The best stroke fellowship programs (in the opinion of many people) are
MGH: has telemed, Schwamm and Koroshetz are prominent. Have fellows going into neurointerventional as well.
UT Houston: excellent telemed program. Jim Grotta is a major name in cerebrovasc disease. Has largest volume of stroke patients in the US (over 700 patients a year). TPA rate exceeds 30 % (national average is 2-3%). Largest volume of stroke patients receiving endovasc stroke therapy. Fellows have trained in interventional as well.
U Cincinnati: Joseph Broderick is a major name in stroke. He is also the PI of IMS (Interventional management of stroke) study. I am not sure about telemed. Fellows trained in interventional as well.
UCLA: excellent telemed and interventional stroke program. Jeffrey Saver is a strength. Fellows trained in neurointerventional as well.
U Pittsburgh: Lawrence Wechsler is a strength. Excellent acute stroke and endovascular service. Fellows trained in interventional as well.
CCF: Anthony Furlan is a strength. Tremendous work in intracranial stenting.
Columbia: heavy on stroke epidemiology. JP Mohr is a strength (but more epidemiology). Ralph Sacco has moved to Miami. Strength is stroke epidemiology, TCD, not heavy on thrombolysis.
UCSF: fellows train in NICU as well as stroke (but not sure how it would change, now that ACGME and UCNS requirements are different for stroke and NICU)
Some other programs that have excellent NICU fellowships and do not have as good stroke services. Duke: only stroke epidemiology and basic science. Larry Goldstein is a prominent name,but confined to epidemiology. The general neurology svc does acute stroke management, so there is no stroke svc per se. Wash U: was big in PET imaging in stroke, but William Powers has now left. Mayo Clinic: more in epidemiology. Robert Brown ia prominent name (current president of the ANA), but more involved in epidemiology and basic sciemce; acute stroke svc has a lot to be desired. Hopkins: stroke faculty not as academically renowned as NICU (but certainly have the hopkins name).
There are other programs that may not be at the highest level, but have prominent faculty-
U Chicago: Jeffery Frank (NICU), Wayne State: Bill Coplin(NICU) and Seemant Chaturvedi (Stroke), Baylor: Jose Suarez (NICU), Emory: Owen Samuels(NICU) and Marc Chimowitz (Stroke), Barrow: Mark Malkoff (NICU) and Alexandrov (stroke), BIDMC: Louis Caplan (stroke), BU: Viken Babikian (stroke)

I gathered this information from the experiences of people including me who interviewed this year for Stroke and NICU fellowships. Hope this helps all those neurology residents who share the same passion for Stroke and critical care as I do.

If any of these trials rings a bell, consider UT-San Antonio (UTHSCSA): SPAF, SPS3, Profess, etc. Just about $100 Million of NIH Stroke research has been awarded to: Robert Hart (atrial fibrillation), David Sherman (antiplatelet trials), Oscar Benavente (small lacunar strokes), Gustavo Roman (vascular dementia), and Robin Brey (antiphospolipids) over past 20 years. There is also A. Parra (SAH, NICU-10 bed). Just a thought.

By the way, in a recent review by NINDS, Robert Hart was noted as one of top 50 most cited scientists (and the only stroke clinician).

You only need to find a good mentor and follow their advice.

Members don't see this ad :)
Cool posts! Many thanks!:)

Hi filedsearcher,
I posted this reply to the 'fellowship' question. Hope this helps.
-----------------
Stroke fellowships are different from Neurocritical care. Also because the ACGME requirements for 'Vascular Neurology' fellowships are different from the UCNS requirements for Neurocritical care certification. Till 2008 someone with a NICU fellowship could also take the 'Vasc Neuro' boards and vice versa, but now these fields have gone separate ways.
Most NICU fellowships will not involve dedicated 'Acute stroke' management and subsequent follow up. Certainly stroke fellows go not manage TBI, Status or neuromuscular illnesses. Both manage bleeds (ICH).
I interviewed at quite a few places at the major programs for Stroke as well as NICU and shared my experiences with friends who did the same. Most places have separate stroke and NICU services. But fellows rotate for a few months on either services as a part of their training.
The only places where it is still possible (as of now) to combine stroke with NICU are MGH, Jefferson and UCSF, but this may change.
It is also important to see which faculty are renowned and academically more accomplished. These programs do not necessarily have the best (top 20 or so) residency training, but have the best NICU or Stroke programs in the country. Most people (including colleagues and faculty at major programs) I spoke to recommend the following programs as probably the best. It goes without saying that all these programs are big on research and publications.
For NICU:
Columbia: fantastic NICU, Stephan Mayer is a major strength to the program. But some other faculty have recently left.
Mayo Clinic: Wijdicks and Manno are a strength.
MGH: Lee Schwamm is a strength. Walter Koroshetz was the former vice chair in neurology and now is the associate director of NINDS.
UCLA: Paul Vespa is a strength. Excellent multimodality neuro-monitoring.
UCSF: J Claude Hemphill is a strength. Daryl Gress has now moved to U Va. Excellent multimodality neuro-monitoring.
UVa: among the first NICU programs. Has had very prominent people including Thomas Bleck (who moved to Northwestern). Now Daryl Gress is chair
Wash U: Michael Diringer is a strength. Tremendous research on PET imaging in NICU.
Hopkins: Mirski is a prominent name. But the program appears to be anesthesia dominated, if that matters to you.
I also interviewed at CCF- but it had a lot of turn over recently. Michael DeGeorgia has moved to Case Western. Penn is a new program, but appears good. Andrew Kofke is a strength. Duke: is good, Graffagnino is a strength.

For Stroke: The best stroke programs are in major cities with high volume of stroke patients. The future of stroke care is 'telemedicine'. At some programs that I saw, a single center is providing stroke coverage to over 10 hospitals and multiple ERs using telemedicine. Whenever a patient shows up to any ER, say 50 miles away, the 'stroke beeper goes on' so the stroke fellow/attending gets notified immediately. They access the telemed system and get connected immediately to the peripheral ER, do a quick NIHSS, authorize thrombolysis and get the patient transferred to their center. This gives them a high volume of patients in treatable time windows for intravenous and endovascular thrombolysis. This I felt was fantastic. These programs did a high volume of intra-arterial as well as endovasc thrombolysis. There are regular protocols for CT/CTA/CT Perfusion. Very few programs in the US have a telemed stroke program.
The best stroke fellowship programs (in the opinion of many people) are
MGH: has telemed, Schwamm and Koroshetz are prominent. Have fellows going into neurointerventional as well.
UT Houston: excellent telemed program. Jim Grotta is a major name in cerebrovasc disease. Has largest volume of stroke patients in the US (over 700 patients a year). TPA rate exceeds 30 % (national average is 2-3%). Largest volume of stroke patients receiving endovasc stroke therapy. Fellows have trained in interventional as well.
U Cincinnati: Joseph Broderick is a major name in stroke. He is also the PI of IMS (Interventional management of stroke) study. I am not sure about telemed. Fellows trained in interventional as well.
UCLA: excellent telemed and interventional stroke program. Jeffrey Saver is a strength. Fellows trained in neurointerventional as well.
U Pittsburgh: Lawrence Wechsler is a strength. Excellent acute stroke and endovascular service. Fellows trained in interventional as well.
CCF: Anthony Furlan is a strength. Tremendous work in intracranial stenting.
Columbia: heavy on stroke epidemiology. JP Mohr is a strength (but more epidemiology). Ralph Sacco has moved to Miami. Strength is stroke epidemiology, TCD, not heavy on thrombolysis.
UCSF: fellows train in NICU as well as stroke (but not sure how it would change, now that ACGME and UCNS requirements are different for stroke and NICU)
Some other programs that have excellent NICU fellowships and do not have as good stroke services. Duke: only stroke epidemiology and basic science. Larry Goldstein is a prominent name,but confined to epidemiology. The general neurology svc does acute stroke management, so there is no stroke svc per se. Wash U: was big in PET imaging in stroke, but William Powers has now left. Mayo Clinic: more in epidemiology. Robert Brown ia prominent name (current president of the ANA), but more involved in epidemiology and basic sciemce; acute stroke svc has a lot to be desired. Hopkins: stroke faculty not as academically renowned as NICU (but certainly have the hopkins name).
There are other programs that may not be at the highest level, but have prominent faculty-
U Chicago: Jeffery Frank (NICU), Wayne State: Bill Coplin(NICU) and Seemant Chaturvedi (Stroke), Baylor: Jose Suarez (NICU), Emory: Owen Samuels(NICU) and Marc Chimowitz (Stroke), Barrow: Mark Malkoff (NICU) and Alexandrov (stroke), BIDMC: Louis Caplan (stroke), BU: Viken Babikian (stroke)

I gathered this information from the experiences of people including me who interviewed this year for Stroke and NICU fellowships. Hope this helps all those neurology residents who share the same passion for Stroke and critical care as I do.

Some of the faculty listed for stroke here has moved:

CCF-->>Case Western: Antony Furlan & Cathy Sila, powerhouses of stroke at CCF are now at Case where Furlan is chair. Case incidently is a very good stroke fellowship program. Well rounded training in all aspects: Iv, Ia, imaging, sonology, NICU & rehab (at the VA). Rate of IA/mech is 25-30%. Fellows trained in endovascular-first fellow from CCF is in his 2nd yr of endovascular (imported with Furlan from CCF), second fellow (1st VN fellow trained at Case after ACGME approval of the fellowship) has gone on to U Louisville to do endovascular. Informative weekly integrated (neuro, NSx & NR) vascular conference which is quite educational. Good mix of small vessel, large vessel, ICHs & SAHs on service. Very supportive INR department under Robert Tarr who will get any imaging that the stroke fellow requests at any hour of the day.
Drawbacks- moderate volumes: about 40-60 stroke admissions/month, 650 endovascular cases/yr (as compared to some of the larger programs like UPMC-Pittsburgh/SUNY Buffalo:100-120 admissions/month & 1200 endovascular cases/yr). This may be because CCF & Case sit barely a mile apart & the lack of telemed for recruiting the large vessel strokes for drip & ship therapy. No telemed as yet. CT/CTA/CTP is not standard in acute strokes with MR being the main modality in ER after the plain CT. This is pretty non-standard vis-a-vis most of the bigger programs. However this is changing with newer CT techs coming in.

BI-->>U Alabama: Alexandrov is the chairman of neurology at UAB.

Emory -->>MUSC: This is not 100%, but Chimowitz has moved to SC from what I have heard.

Last edited:
Some of the faculty listed for stroke here has moved:

CCF-->>Case Western: Antony Furlan & Cathy Sila, powerhouses of stroke at CCF are now at Case where Furlan is chair. Case incidently is a very good stroke fellowship program. Well rounded training in all aspects: Iv, Ia, imaging, sonology, NICU & rehab (at the VA). Rate of IA/mech is 25-30%. Fellows trained in endovascular-first fellow from CCF is in his 2nd yr of endovascular (imported with Furlan from CCF), second fellow (1st VN fellow trained at Case after ACGME approval of the fellowship) has gone on to U Louisville to do endovascular. Informative weekly integrated (neuro, NSx & NR) vascular conference which is quite educational. Good mix of small vessel, large vessel, ICHs & SAHs on service. Very supportive INR department under Robert Tarr who will get any imaging that the stroke fellow requests at any hour of the day.
Drawbacks- moderate volumes: about 40-60 stroke admissions/month, 650 endovascular cases/yr (as compared to some of the larger programs like UPMC-Pittsburgh/SUNY Buffalo:100-120 admissions/month & 1200 endovascular cases/yr). This may be because CCF & Case sit barely a mile apart & the lack of telemed for recruiting the large vessel strokes for drip & ship therapy. No telemed as yet. CT/CTA/CTP is not standard in acute strokes with MR being the main modality in ER after the plain CT. This is pretty non-standard vis-a-vis most of the bigger programs. However this is changing with newer CT techs coming in.

Emory -->>MUSC: This is not 100%, but Chimowitz has moved to SC from what I have heard.

I'm currently working on a research project using Vitrea and 320 detector row CT whole brain scanning (images the brain in one slice, rather than with 2 as in 256 detector row CT), does anyone know if any programs are currently using this technology or plan on using it in the near future?

I'm currently working on a research project using Vitrea and 320 detector row CT whole brain scanning (images the brain in one slice, rather than with 2 as in 256 detector row CT), does anyone know if any programs are currently using this technology or plan on using it in the near future?

They use the 320 at Brigham and Women's Hospital to do real-time CT angiography of the brain or spine. Very useful for AVMs and AV-fistulas, without needing a conventional angiogram.

We use vitrea all the time on CTA data to make pretty pictures of aneurysms for the surgeons to plan their approach. I don't know if anyone out here in Boston is using the two together, but my guess would be probably.

They use the 320 at Brigham and Women's Hospital to do real-time CT angiography of the brain or spine. Very useful for AVMs and AV-fistulas, without needing a conventional angiogram.

We use vitrea all the time on CTA data to make pretty pictures of aneurysms for the surgeons to plan their approach. I don't know if anyone out here in Boston is using the two together, but my guess would be probably.

It's pretty sweet, typhoonegotiator, they're looking at the reversible ischemic penumbra of acute ischemic strokes, and it could lead to an alteration of the tPA administration time from 'within 3 hours' to a 'case by case' basis. I love Neuro - it's the wave of the future!!

I heard that some programs with INR had filled out their spots for the next 2-3 years. How accurate is it?

If you want to "focus on the topic", well, the topic is STROKE. INR != stroke.

Yeah, some programs probably have. Who you know is often more important than what you know. Is that surprising to you?

I was just at Emory last month and can confirm that Marc Chimowitz is at MUSC now (along with Tanya Turan who also left Emory). Robert Adams (stroke telemedicine guru from Medical College of Georgia) has also gone to MUSC.

Members don't see this ad :)
Lets not unclothe the higher up of stroke neurology in this thread....;-)

Lets also stick to the topic. This thread is about stroke fellowships, not CT scanners or INR/ESN fellowships.

I would like to know more about the following vascular neurology programs if someone has any info:

NYU
Beth Israel
Mount Sinai, NY
NS-LIJ
SUNY-Stony Brook
U Rochester, NY
UMDNJ-Newark, NJ
Vanderbilt
Virginia Commonwealth
UNC
Barrow/BNI
Baylor
MUSC
Mayo-Rochester
U Florida-Gainsville
USF-Toledo
OHSU-Portland OR
Thomas Jefferson
Temple
U Tennessee
U Wisconsin
U Washington

Last edited:
What? No one's been to these programs for training??

How can you have Baylor on your list but not UT Houston for vascular neurology? The best thing to do is to ask the stroke neurologists at your training program about which programs have strong training.

I would like to know something about the training at these lesser known programs, I am not comparing any one to the other. UT-Houston is a well known vascular neurology program whereas not much information is availble about Baylor. Can some of you please contribute?? Residents/ ex fellows??

I am not sure if NYU offers stroke fellowship. The website does not say anything about it. I am not sure about Temple (? Philadelphia) either. I have not heard about that.

Last edited:
You are right, these programs dont have stroke training.

Baylor has training in Neurocritical care & possibly Rdiology dominated INR training, but not vascular neurology.

What about the others?

UT houston: strong program.
Mass : strong
UCLA: good reputation
University of Minnesota: Not so good program.People are dropping out due to lack of support. May consider if very desperate for interventional program otherwise not recommended.
Case western: ok
Cleveland: Some political issues. Otherwise good.

What is your opinion about:

UPMC
Jefferson-Miami
MCW

What about these other programs:

Beth Israel
Mount Sinai, NY
NS-LIJ
SUNY-Stony Brook
U Rochester, NY
UMDNJ-Newark, NJ
Vanderbilt
Virginia Commonwealth
UNC
Barrow/BNI
MUSC
Mayo-Rochester
U Florida-Gainsville
USF-Toledo
OHSU-Portland OR
Thomas Jefferson
Temple
U Tennessee
U Wisconsin
U Washington

Last edited:
UT houston: strong program.
Mass : strong
UCLA: good reputation
University of Minnesota: Not so good program.People are dropping out due to lack of support. May consider if very desperate for interventional program otherwise not recommended.
Case western: ok
Cleveland: Some political issues. Otherwise good.

I have also heard that the stroke fellowship at Minnesota is not doing well and that the stroke fellows are essentially functioning as residents and do too much ICU for their taste (perhaps, it's a flaw in their residency rather than fellowship program). Some fellows, I was told, have dropped out. However, their endovascular/neurointerventional program, personal preferences aside, should still be treated with a lot of respect and considered to be one of the best of those available to neurologists. They consistently produce a lot of good research and train very competent neurointerventionalists, some of whom I had a pleasure of meeting at various conferences last year.

I know this has been discussed million times, but for those interested in stroke without NeuroIR, don't overlook the Bay area. Their interventionalists are not neuro-friendly, but stroke/ICU programs and faculty at both UCSF and Stanford are top-notch.

UPMC PD is listed as Tudor Jovin. Vivek Reddy is the Assistant PD & runs the program, it seems.

What exactly is wrong with the Minnesota Stroke Program? Seems like there are a lot of complaints from the residents & numerous unhappy Vascular Neurology fellows......

Some of the faculty have left the program, including some Endovascular faculty who have moved to Texas.

I have an interview coming up at NIH. Will let you know.

I'm not sure if Mayo Jacksonville has a program, but Thomas Brott is there. He's kinda important ;). ACAS National PI and I think a key player in CREST, which should shake up the Stroke world in the near term.

Does any one have any info about these programs:
University of Michigan
Michigan state university
Universsity of Virginia
Northwestern University
Mount Sinai New York

Thanks in advance..