programs with equal male/female ratios?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

kbommar

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
are there any ob/gyn programs that have a more or less equal male to female ratio? the program at ohio state is 90% female. there is at most one male resident per class. does anyone know what the UCLA program is like?

Members don't see this ad.

UCLA, mostly female. The residents apparently complained last year but the chair says he takes "the best" regardless of sex. There really are more females than males pretty much everywhere, because there are more females applying. Exceptions seem to be programs where they make a real effort and where lots of people want to go (ie Hopkins) because the program in that case can pick whomever they want. I doubt Ohio State is limiting the classes to only one male though, being male is likely to help you not hurt you in most programs.

kbommar said:
are there any ob/gyn programs that have a more or less equal male to female ratio? the program at ohio state is 90% female. there is at most one male resident per class. does anyone know what the UCLA program is like?

I believe UCLA had one or two males in their entire program last year. One of them is graduating. A few programs had a decent male presence. Hopkins (as mentioned), Yale, UAB, UT Southwestern, and Brigham come to mind.

Members don't see this ad :)
I recall Mayo having about half male and half female residents.

I only interviewed at 1 program that had an almost equal m:f ratio...and it sort of bothered me. With so many more females than males interviewing, you have to assume that a program with an equal ratio is accepting less qualified males based on gender only; that is unless the few males who are applying are just that much better! I think it's nice to have a little estrogen dilution but I certainly didn't let the m:f ratio dictate (or even greatly influence) my rank list.

APGO has a section in their residency directory with how many residents...how many FMG... how many female residents broken down by class.

the male/female ratio matters for guys interested in ob/gyn. just like how women don't really want to go to a surgery residency where they'll be the only female.

kbommar said:
the male/female ratio matters for guys interested in ob/gyn. just like how women don't really want to go to a surgery residency where they'll be the only female.
I recall Fresno having equal if not more males than females in their program. Most others, it seemed like one per year was about standard irregardless of program size.

ohbee gin said:
I recall Fresno having equal if not more males than females in their program. Most others, it seemed like one per year was about standard irregardless of program size.

Yep, I interviewed there and remember it being about 50/50 as well. What I found amazing was that the current intern class is 100% male!

My program is about 4/12 (or will be when I start). 2/3 interns next year are male, which is different. I think that about 25% male is pretty reflective of the applicant pool.

I heard that within the next decade or so, Ob/Gyn will be >75% female. Boy, it will feel weird attending an ob/gyn conference as a male. Imagine a conference room full of ladies, and way at the back are a bunch of few males sitting together at the corner of the room. :oops:

Leukocyte said:
I heard that within the next decade or so, Ob/Gyn will be >75% female. Boy, it will feel weird attending an ob/gyn conference as a male. Imagine a conference room full of ladies, and way at the back are a bunch of few males sitting together at the corner of the room. :oops:

Doesn't sound so bad to a single guy! :laugh:

Btw, Leukocyte, are you going into Ob/Gyn? Can't remember if you shared what you are going into or not...

Our program will have 7 guys and 9 girls next year.

It is a small town and a great place to raise a family. Austin is 1hr away, Dallas is 2.5hrs away, Houston is 2.5hrs away, and San Antonio is 2hrs away.

www.sw.org

Let me know if you have any questions,
Jason

Our program at the University of Kentucky currently has 8 guys out of 18 total residents. The incoming class has 2 guys out of 5. I like the mix, I think it helps the dynamics of the program.

check out University of Louisville also. They take more guys than most programs, evidenced by the PGY-4 class that just graduated comprised of 4 men and 2 women.