Programs that suck

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Mirror Form

Thyroid Storm
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I started a thread a little while back asking which ophtho programs were *relatively* easy to get into. Unfortunately, I got answers like Tulane, which is a still a pretty good academic institution. Aren't there any crappy programs out there that you studs didn't bother applying to b/c they sucked? I just want to get into ophtho, so if I have to go to a less then desirable location or institution I'll do it w/o thinking twice. So, which programs did you guy not bother applying to b/c they sucked so much?

Members don't see this ad.

Sledge2005 said:
I started a thread a little while back asking which ophtho programs were *relatively* easy to get into. Unfortunately, I got answers like Tulane, which is a still a pretty good academic institution. Aren't there any crappy programs out there that you studs didn't bother applying to b/c they sucked? I just want to get into ophtho, so if I have to go to a less then desirable location or institution I'll do it w/o thinking twice. So, which programs did you guy not bother applying to b/c they sucked so much?
Wow, you sure are dedicated, :thumbup: you must really want to get into ophthal. With that much dedication though, you deserve a good program, not a crappy one. Good luck with your search.
It will be interesting to see which programs people think are the worst. (I bet this generates some controversy) :) :mad: :)

What about Summa Health Sys. in Akron Ohio? Anybody heard bad stuff about them? And how crappy of a place is Chattanooga, TN to live?

Members don't see this ad :)
Summa makes nice T-shirts. I got 3 from them during residency fair :)

It sounds like you really shoot for the stars BIG GUY! :thumbdown: :thumbdown:

ScottDoc said:
It sounds like you really shoot for the stars BIG GUY! :thumbdown: :thumbdown:

I never said I wasn't going to apply to good programs too ******. You made that stupid assumption on your own. I'm just covering all of my bases. BTW, it's a little more competitive to get into an ophthalmology residency than it is to become a chiropracter, so don't lecture me on aiming high.

True, True

I will admit to being "duped"

But, I am going back to do this right - the way I should have gone in the first place.

I just question why someone who can obviously make it through med school not finish strong in residency. Look at the Jackson Browne quote; that does not sound like a person who "settles" and trys to take the easy route.

Sledge2005 said:
BTW, it's a little more competitive to get into an ophthalmology residency than it is to become a chiropracter, so don't lecture me on aiming high.

:smuggrin: :smuggrin: :smuggrin:

:thumbup:

ScottDoc said:
True, True

I will admit to being "duped"

But, I am going back to do this right - the way I should have gone in the first place.

I just question why someone who can obviously make it through med school not finish strong in residency. Look at the Jackson Browne quote; that does not sound like a person who "settles" and trys to take the easy route.

The thing is that ophthalmology is a very competitive field to get into. There are many extremely strong applicants with better resume's then mine who end up not matching anywhere (some of them are frequent posters on this message board). Therefore I plan to apply to a lot of the "relatively" less competitive ophthalmology programs, so as to increase my chances of matching. I'll apply to the good programs as well, but I'd rather match into a less prestigious ophtho program then not match at all.

Sledge,
I guess I'll be seeing you at the crappy programs (if we can find where they are) during interviews.

I thought UT-Galveston was pretty crappy, but so much for matching at crappy places. I squandered my chance to interview with Summa, but i can't imagine them being excessively competetive. UT-Chatanooga is actually a kind of decent place. The town isn't too exciting, but unfortunately a lot of residents are looking for just that kind of quiet place to live. I dunno.

I think you need AOA-like clinical grades, a LOR from the most famous ophthalmologist you can find, and average board scores to be successful. I'm serious about this last one...your board score just doesn't matter as long as it's average compared to other OPH applicants. Higher scores just don't count for extra points.

I've seen a below average applicant who only received interviews from 4 out of 40 programs applied to match, while myself, and plenty of people here with far more superior stats than I went unmatched. So, sledge, don't count yourself out. I don't know anything about your application, but based on my experience, everyone who submits a rank list has a shot.

See you in the armpits of the country!

Geddy

Sledge2005 said:
The thing is that ophthalmology is a very competitive field to get into. There are many extremely strong applicants with better resume's then mine who end up not matching anywhere (some of them are frequent posters on this message board). Therefore I plan to apply to a lot of the "relatively" less competitive ophthalmology programs, so as to increase my chances of matching. I'll apply to the good programs as well, but I'd rather match into a less prestigious ophtho program then not match at all.

Your original post made it sound as though you were "going" for the least of programs rather than do your best. However, I do agree it is best to cover all bases to make sure you do get in - because after all, patients don't care where you did your residency (or med school for that matter). Good Luck.

Members don't see this ad :)
I actually lived there while I was in 8th and 9th grade. It is a quite but a very nice place to live. Weather is very pleasant with beautiful springs and falls. The river runs by the city so there are some outdoor activities available as well. It's also a short drive to Atlanta if you're looking for a big city stuff.

Rock City and Ruby Falls bring a lot of tourist business to the city.

Thought I should defend a city I spend a part of my childhood in.

Remember you should be careful putting down a city you know nothing/little about... ;)

What about LSU-New Orleans? It's a 5-year program, and is also one of the largest (7/yr?). That, combined with the fact that it's not a stellar name or location, seems that it would make it considerably less competitive.

Toadkiller Dog said:
What about LSU-New Orleans? It's a 5-year program, and is also one of the largest (7/yr?). That, combined with the fact that it's not a stellar name or location, seems that it would make it considerably less competitive.

A previous resident was 'let go' at Iowa who later ended up there.

yesterday i was checking out the ACGME website to see what the accreditation status of all ophtho programs was like, as i was trying to figure out some way to take some off my list. there are four that are sketchy:

1) Georgetown University, "provisional accreditation", voluntary withdrawal of ACGME accreditation
2) LSU - New Orleans, "provisional accreditation"
3) Tulane University - "probationary accreditation"
4) Bronx-Lebanon Hospital, Bronx NY - "continued probationary accreditation"

they never gave any definitions however, so i'm not sure what these mean, except not good. everyone else had "full accreditation" or "continued full accreditation". i don't think i missed any, but i went through all 100+ programs pretty late last night.

if anyone knows about these programs, or the reason why they don't have full accreditation, it would be useful information to post. thanks!

I believe that since the Georgetown and Washington Hospital programs merged, their accred is provisional and the Georgetown stand-alone program voluntarily withdrew its accred because it doesn't exist anymore. I don't think you can read any more into it (although it would be nice to hear how the merger is going...)

n_a_t said:
yesterday i was checking out the ACGME website to see what the accreditation status of all ophtho programs was like, as i was trying to figure out some way to take some off my list. there are four that are sketchy:

1) Georgetown University, "provisional accreditation", voluntary withdrawal of ACGME accreditation
2) LSU - New Orleans, "provisional accreditation"
3) Tulane University - "probationary accreditation"
4) Bronx-Lebanon Hospital, Bronx NY - "continued probationary accreditation"
The Georgetown program was taken over by the Washington Hospital Center program so the Georgetown program officially closed. There are minuses about that, as with any, program.

LSU New Orleans is unpopular because it is a 4 year program (1+4). People who wish to immigrate to Canada can benefit from going there. Americans cannot practice in Canada unless they go to a 4 year residency (1+4). Even doing a 3 year residency and a 1 year fellowship is unacceptable to the Royal College of Physicians and Surgeons (Canada).

Tulane has a problem of repeatedly having a vacancy due to termination of residents and/or residents voluntarily leaving. One person that I know did a 4th year elective and did not like the program. From my limited experience, certain individual faculty members are polite and not vicious animals.

Bronx Lebanon reportedly does not have a diverse faculty. Its secretarial staff is very inefficient. Many applicants do not want to work in the Bronx. Some are unimpressed with the surgical volume and variety. I have no personal knowledge of this program and have only spoken with someone who interviewed there and with some ophthalmologists with some knowledge of the program.

Some programs that I think are lousy include (not a comprehensive list):
King-Drew (Los Angeles)
Cook County (Chicago)
Summa Akron
Nassau County (Long Island, NY)
Long Island Jewish, not to be confused with Albert Einstein (Bronx)
NYMC Brooklyn-Queens/Catholic, not to be confused with NYMC Valhalla
Bronx Lebanon (Bronx, NY)
Howard (Washington)
Eastern Virginia
University of South Carolina-Columbia
University of Tennessee-Chattanooga
LSU Shreveport

There are some very bad programs that aren't quite lousy....but I've said enough controversial things for today. :eek:

3rdSight said:
King-Drew (Los Angeles)
Cook County (Chicago)
Summa Akron
NYMC Brooklyn-Queens/Catholic, not to be confused with NYMC Valhalla
Bronx Lebanon (Bronx, NY)
Howard (Washington)
Eastern Virginia
University of Tennessee-Chattanooga
LSU Shreveport

There are some very bad programs that aren't quite lousy....but I've said enough controversial things for today. :eek:

Geez...so much for my plan to get into a program that sucks. I interviewed at both UT-Chattanooga and U of SC-Columbia and didn't match!

I thought South Carolina-Columbia was a pretty nice program though....at least, I liked it. Galveston sucked. It developed the nick name Galvetraz. Heh.

3rdSight said:

I didn't realize there was program in Columbia. Is it affiliated with MUSC in Charleston? I couldn't find that program in scutwork.com.

Medical University of South Carolina is an old and well established medical school. Its ophthalmology department is the Storm Eye Institute. They have full time faculty in every major subspecialty. The former chairman was quite well known but got into a bit of trouble reportedly involving Medicare billing issues* and went to Utah's program several years ago. The current chairman, a pediatric ophthalmologist, has been there for a few years. There are a few subspecialties like retina and oculoplastics where they only have 1 faculty member. Compared to the Columbia program, the faculty does not have a rapid turnover, which is good. (However, their beloved program director did leave because Emory offered her a good deal). They do have a VA hospital. They also have a fairly nice, free standing building. The residency is reportedly a fairly solid program. The program has enough clinical material to support a resident class of 4 per year.

The University of South Carolina is a relatively new medical school established probably in the 1970's. The South Carolina Eye Institute used to be a part of the university but has the institute no longer exists. The ophthalmology department basically consists of 3 active full time faculty; a retina professor and 2 general ophthalmologists who were recent graduates of the program (one did a few months of cornea with a private practitioner). They are reportedly hiring a recently retired oculoplastic surgeon. They do have a community based chairman (subspecialty: Lasik) who does not staff any resident cases, a well known glaucoma faculty member who, for political reasons, is forbidden to operate or see any patients, and a part time volunteer faculty member. They used to have a informative website (where you could read between the lines, particularly about the faculty), but it has been replaced with a generic 1 page webpage. There have been reported discussions about closing the program outright or keeping it the department in name and having 1 or 2 MUSC residents rotate there (which does not happen at present), but such talk has been going around for a few years. Recent graduates have mixed opinions about the program, of which the specifics may be beyond the scope of a public forum.

What else do you want to know about the South Carolina programs or programs in other states?

*this is in the public record and not rumor. It does not appear that he willfully or knowingly engaged in any unethical behavior. The case was settled out of court.

Visioncam said:
What else do you want to know about the South Carolina programs or programs in other states?

That's good enough for right now. Thanks for the info.

GeddyLee said:
Geez...so much for my plan to get into a program that sucks. I interviewed at both UT-Chattanooga and U of SC-Columbia and didn't match!

I thought South Carolina-Columbia was a pretty nice program though....at least, I liked it. Galveston sucked. It developed the nick name Galvetraz. Heh.

Dude,

Your stats are awesome. You should have matched this year - don't get down though. Things happen for a reason and maybe this was for the best. I wish you the best of luck in the match this year - I am sure you will do well!... :luck:

3rdSight said:
King-Drew (Los Angeles)
Cook County (Chicago)
Summa Akron
undefined

Hi guys,
My cousin was former chief @ long island, he really liked the program, plus they are merging with north shore so they will be stronger now.
Please only quote as much of the previous message as you need! Makes reading easier.

Visioncam said:
Medical University of South Carolina is an old and well established medical school. Its ophthalmology department is the Storm Eye Institute. They have full time faculty in every major subspecialty. The former chairman was quite well known but got into a bit of trouble reportedly involving Medicare billing issues* and went to Utah's program several years ago. The current chairman, a pediatric ophthalmologist, has been there for a few years. There are a few subspecialties like retina and oculoplastics where they only have 1 faculty member. Compared to the Columbia program, the faculty does not have a rapid turnover, which is good. (However, their beloved program director did leave because Emory offered her a good deal). They do have a VA hospital. They also have a fairly nice, free standing building. The residency is reportedly a fairly solid program. The program has enough clinical material to support a resident class of 4 per year.

The University of South Carolina is a relatively new medical school established probably in the 1970's. The South Carolina Eye Institute used to be a part of the university but has the institute no longer exists. The ophthalmology department basically consists of 3 active full time faculty; a retina professor and 2 general ophthalmologists who were recent graduates of the program (one did a few months of cornea with a private practitioner). They are reportedly hiring a recently retired oculoplastic surgeon. They do have a community based chairman (subspecialty: Lasik) who does not staff any resident cases, a well known glaucoma faculty member who, for political reasons, is forbidden to operate or see any patients, and a part time volunteer faculty member. They used to have a informative website (where you could read between the lines, particularly about the faculty), but it has been replaced with a generic 1 page webpage. There have been reported discussions about closing the program outright or keeping it the department in name and having 1 or 2 MUSC residents rotate there (which does not happen at present), but such talk has been going around for a few years. Recent graduates have mixed opinions about the program, of which the specifics may be beyond the scope of a public forum.

*this is in the public record and not rumor. It does not appear that he willfully or knowingly engaged in any unethical behavior. The case was settled out of court.

I apologize if I am intruding here but when one of the current residents pointed these comments out to me I had to set the record straight.
I'm not sure where you are getting your information Visioncam but it's seriously flawed.
1. The Chair is not community based and does participate in the program.
2. There is one general ophthalmologist who was a graduate of the program in 1998.
3. Another graduate was a faculty member, until just recently, and also graduated from an accredited cornea fellowship.
4. There is a recent addition of an ophthalmologist with a mini fellowship in oculoplastics but he was not retired.
5. There were some comments about 2 years ago , during the state budget crunch, about closing the entire medical school (not the ophthalmology program) but the subject was quickly dropped.
6. I don't think you can substantiate the comments about the "mixed opinions" of the graduates.
7. The SC Eye Institute was essentially just the name on the building when it was purchased by the University and later dropped when they wanted the buildings to have the same appearance, etc.

In summary the program is a good one and was recently approved by the RRC without any significant concerns. Anyone who would like additional information should contact the program director or any of the participants directly at 4 Medical Park, Suite 300, Columbia, SC 29203.
Thank you.

USC-Insider said:

I apologize if I am intruding here but when one of the current residents pointed these comments out to me I had to set the record straight.
I'm not sure where you are getting your information Visioncam but it's seriously flawed.
1. The Chair is not community based and does participate in the program.
2. There is one general ophthalmologist who was a graduate of the program in 1998.
3. Another graduate was a faculty member, until just recently, and also graduated from an accredited cornea fellowship.
4. There is a recent addition of an ophthalmologist with a mini fellowship in oculoplastics but he was not retired.
5. There were some comments about 2 years ago , during the state budget crunch, about closing the entire medical school (not the ophthalmology program) but the subject was quickly dropped.
6. I don't think you can substantiate the comments about the "mixed opinions" of the graduates.
7. The SC Eye Institute was essentially just the name on the building when it was purchased by the University and later dropped when they wanted the buildings to have the same appearance, etc.

In summary the program is a good one and was recently approved by the RRC without any significant concerns. Anyone who would like additional information should contact the program director or any of the participants directly at 4 Medical Park, Suite 300, Columbia, SC 29203.
Thank you.
This sounds like one of the faculty in the program wrote it. I came up with the list of bad programs from what ophthalmologists and residents have said. All of the programs on the list had criticism from more than one person (so these programs had bad comments about them, not just the "mixed comments" referred to by Visioncam).

The above response confirms the lack of faculty at that program. In fact, they admit that they have fewer faculty than Visioncam reported as it refers to one faculty having recently left. They also admit that they have no oculoplastic faculty, only one who did a minifellowship. The response appears to claim that their eye institute was fraudulent and was in name only (before the medical school wanted buildings of similar appearance). This kind of admitted dishonesty does not refect well on a program.

To me, Visioncam actually reviewed the 2 South Carolina programs rather kindly and did not include some extremely negative information that I have heard.

USC-Insider said:
No offense is meant toward the University of South Carolina program. You may read the comments and clarifications from the person who represents them (post by USC-Insider) and also contact the program for official information.

I am currently a PGY3 resident at the University of South Carolina in Columbia and I feel much of the information that has been posted on this website over the last few weeks about our program is incorrect and unfounded. I am not sure what measures you would want to go by but here are a few by which we grade our program.
1-In the last few years our residents have scored well above the national average on the OKAPS (as high as 98th percentile) and have an outstanding pass rate on the first attempt of the national boards.
2-Our surgical volume is next to none. I have already done 9 cataracts this year in addition to the one I did last year and I am only three months into my second year. Last year our residents graduated with anywhere between 150-200 cataracts and well above the minimum requirements by the ACGME for all other types of surgery. I have performed a total of nearly 120 laser procedures of all types. Intraoffice procedures are abundant.
3-We currently have 6 full time faculty members and 8 part time or volunteer faculty encompassing every subspecialty, a more than adequate complement of attendings in my opinion. We attend clinics and operate with all of the part time faculty.
4-We receive referrals from all over the city, state, and southeast with patients coming all the way from North Carolina on a regular basis to receive care here.
5-We receive training in all the latest techniques and refractive procedures with our Chief having done 8-10 Lasik procedures himself this academic year alone.
6-Our chair is a cornea specialist who trained with Jim Rowsey and he is in fact full time, not a community Doc.
7-We just received full accreditation from the ACGME
8-In the last 3-4 years we have had graduates go on to do glaucoma at Duke, Plastics, Retina in Chicago; our chief this year matched in Plastics in Indiana (1/12 ASOPRS spots in the country), etc...
Shall I go on?
It is appropriate to talk about the various programs and their strengths and weaknesses. However, these statements and accusations must be substantiated and should not just be hear-say. I would argue that our program does not belong in this topic thread.
I would encourage any interested applicants to contact the program or any of the participants and ask us directly any questions you may have.

In response to recent comments about the University of South Carolina Dept. of Ophthalmology in Columbia I think it is an excellent program. I am a recent graduate and am currently in a 2 year fellowship at Duke. One of my colleagues from my class is doing a retina fellowship in Chicago, and my other colleague is in private practice in Texas. I think I can speak for all of us in saying that USC prepared us well for where we are now, and we are all in very impressive positions. We all performed a plethora of cataract and other important procedures staffed by attendings who were excellent teachers. The numbers of full time faculty that people are posting are wrong, and misleading. For example, although we have no full time pediatric attendings on faculty, we have an excellent pediatric ophthalmology program. I trained with 2 excellent attendings who staffed resident clinics, hosted a rotation in their private clinic, and were very involved with lectures, journal clubs, and after clinic lectures. We performed level one surgeries on their private patients and resident clinic patients under excellent guidance. I could give an equally reinforcing description of each subspecialty, but I don?t want to make this into a novel. Most residents choose not to do much research, but opportunities are certainly available to achieve in this arena. I for example was able to write and publish with minimal effort due to the support and well known name of Dr. Tripathi (past chairman, now solely involved with research). Dr. Davis, the current chairman, is an energetic individual who is 100% dedicated to moving the program forward in a positive direction, and is very involved with and cares deeply for the residents as individuals. The rest of the faculty are likewise very competent, enthusiastic, wise, and place resident education as priority one. Although USC does not have the name of Wills or Wilmer, I like to think that a better indicator of a program is the skills and integrity of its graduates. When I use that as my gauge, and rate my fellow graduates, I feel very blessed to have been able to spend my 3 years of ophthalmology training at USC.

In addition to reiterating Orbitaldoc's comments, I
would like to add the following.

It is ludicrous to believe that an accurate evaluation of a
program can be made without seeking input from
residents who actually trained there. No one asked me
or my class fellows about our experience. If they did,
they would have learnt that

1. we passed our written boards (oral pending)
effortlessly on the first attempt,
2. we are doing fellowships in prestigious programs or
doing well in a busy private practice,
3. during residency I had the opportunity to submit a
research proposal which was funded to support my
research on macular degeneration when only a handful
of programs in the country can boast about such an
opportunity for residents,
4. our residency was not "scut work". Great deal of
emphasis was placed on our education; we had quarterly
oral and surgical competency tests to go with an
expectation of high OKAP scores.

An advice to prospective candidates of the program:
check with current residents and recent past graduates
of the program before you read anonymous internet
blurbs.

I'm glad to see more residents and ophthalmologists providing input about their training programs. This is the kind of information we need to have for future candidates and applicants this year. Thanks for your input! :thumbup:

spdljohn said:
I would argue that our program does not belong in this topic thread.

Thanks for the information. Look on the bright side though: I (and probably other applicants too) had never heard anything about your program until it was posted on this thread. And due to the information posted here, I decided apply. If I get an interview, I'll be able to see through any incorrectly posted negative information and won't let that affect my rank list. So as always, any publicity (good or bad), usually helps :)

I've recently been following some of the comments that have been made about the USC Dept of Ophthalmology's Residency program. I'd like to add to those comments in an effort to help those that genuinely seek it and perhaps to help curb the temptation of those that desire to be an authority on issues that they know little or nothing about. Public venues like this can be very helpful for those that want to know the inside scoop about programs and institutions such as residency programs. Furthermore, people should seek out this information so that they can be as well informed as possible.

First, I?ll summarize what has happened. Sledge2005 started a thread (I believe) by asking for a list of crappy programs so that he might increase his chances of getting into an ophtho program. Although I could say much about this strategy (good and bad), I'll forgo that so that I may say what I really want to say. Later 3rdSight posted a list of HIS OPINION of which programs were "crappy". USC Ophtho was on his list. GeddyLee seemed upset because he/she didn't match to a program that 3rd sight said was crappy. Visioncam then posted a message that was outdated (by at least seven years) and inaccurate in some regards and outright false in virtually every other.

I just completed my residency at USC Ophtho. I was the chief resident. I realize that my perspective would be interpreted as biased by some. But let me demystify some of the second and third hand info from someone who really knows. I am no longer affiliated with the University and really have no impetus to paint any pretty picture. I do want the truth to be established so that someone might actually benefit.

About six years ago USC hired a new chairman, Dr Richard Davis. He is a board certified ophthalmologist that received his Fellowship training (at Dean McGee) from one of the foremost cornea specialist in the country. He is a full time chairman, not a community based MD. A new chair was hired (about six years ago) because things weren't in the best condition, and the university wanted them to be better. Since that time USC has made giant strides to become an outstanding program for residents and a center for excellence for patients in both North and South Carolina.

There are currently 6 full time faculty members and 8 part time or volunteer faculty that cover every subspecialty except ocular pathology and neuro-ophth.

Last year our applicant pool was so strong we actually had to turn away people who did not score at least 225 on their USMLE test. For the past few years, our rank list has only been 20 names or so and seldom have we ever matched anyone past #10. The RRC just gave USC the highest accreditation status that they can. The comments by spdljohn are all verifiably true. This does not sound like a crappy program. It sounds like a program that is highly sought after by people who know what to look for in a program.

In my three years at USC, I performed over 165 cataract surgeries open to close. I was trained to do a topical clear cornea phaco in 12-15 minutes. In addition I performed (open to close) about two dozen trabeculctomies, several tube shunts, 11 corneal transplants (one open-sky, another as a triple procedure and three with IOL exchanges; most of these cases were staffed by Dr. Davis himself). I performed posterior sutured IOLs as well as an abundant number of ptosis repairs and blepharoplasty cases. Additionally, I performed about 12 LASIK procedures (only a handful of programs train residents to do LASIK), presented a paper at ARVO and scored respectably on my OKAP examinations. My two colleagues also had similar experiences as well. None of these things are very demonstrative or consistent with a crappy program. (Some of these statistics may not mean much to you because you may not know what they mean; sorry). Ask other residents at other programs if they have had similar experiences. Some programs struggle to get 45 cataracts (much less phacos) and others end up canceling more cases than they do.

Finally, I know every grad from this program for the past three years. I cannot imagine them saying anything as negative as has been purported. The attendings are very helpful and kind. They love their job and their profession and are committed to teaching residents. Every program has its strengths and weaknesses. Unfortunately the weaknesses that have been posted about USC simply are not true.

For anyone who genuinely wants to get into an Ophtho program, please know this. It IS very competitive. Please look at USC closely. Talk to the residents and past residents first hand. Most of us are more than happy to tell you about our experiences.

Sorry about the tirade. I hope this is helpful to someone. My strong caution is out to Visioncam who falsely posted information as truth. My caution also goes out to anyone who relies too heavily on the OPINIONS of others (i.e. 3rd Sight).

Good luck GeddyLee. Ophtho is a fantastic profession. You will LOVE it!

Sledge, keep on trying!

Vwhan, get a clue (and a list of all Ophtho programs; www.sfmatch.org)

vwhan said:
That comment was not necessary.

Not necessary but quite amusing.

Just to add my two cents, I have heard nothing but good things about the program at USC, in fact a friend of mine ranked it first on her match list last year (and matched there).

odieoh said:
Not necessary but quite amusing.

Just to add my two cents, I have heard nothing but good things about the program at USC, in fact a friend of mine ranked it first on her match list last year (and matched there).

The fact that a flurry of past and current residents all get on their computers and rush to the defense of the program is a pretty good testament to the quality of the program, asides from surgical volume, board pass rates, and all that jazz. I hope I can get an interview there.

Good luck all.

The U of SC is just another program on the map so I don't care to debate (even though I have heard specific juicy details--"juicy" shouldn't imply bad, just candid). Good luck to them!

Another program that I interviewed (maybe I should not reveal the name or another flurry of first time posters may appear-these first time posters never bothered to post before to help medical students), anyway, a different program claimed that they were "the best residency program in the country". The chief resident insisted on it. He even added facts that sounded good to the casual observer. By trying so hard, it raised suspicions. Since then, others have confirmed my suspicions that it's not a good program. (Maybe somebody should start a thread about how bad some places are but leave the place name out so as not to offend anyone?)

So, if a program tries too hard to convince you that they are good, beware!

There's a place that medical students should avoid, but I won't name it. There are too many bad things to list. The chairman (retina - ok, that's one of the last hints, the other hint is that their zip code does not begin with 3 or 7) has done some bad and unethical things to residents. He is very slick so many people get fooled. The conferences are very poor. Worse yet, they refuse to let residents go to the Houston or Colby course claiming it's not needed. Surgical teaching is poor. The numbers are good but there are many surgical complications. The qualifications of some of the staff is poor. Some subspecialty coverage is better on paper than in real life. The program director is good so there's a ray of hope. Pathology teaching is non-existant. The guy looks at slides that he has to anyway and calls it a conference. During the interview, the presentation is a sham. Full of lies and most of the residents go along with it and the others remain silent. During the interview day the ethical components found in informed consent are not followed at all! There's a lot of fabrication (in writing) going on but I won't say about what. Even with all this, I don't consider this place to be the worse in the country. Still, avoid this brand X!

Brand Y is also a very bad program but some of the reasons are different. I pity my friend there. That program gave their chief resident the axe! There is a story behind it! Don't automatically blame the chief resident and say that it's his or her fault. Ouch! Do you really want to go there?

On the other hand, brand Z is a very good program. It's doesn't have the most famous name but it's a very good program :) from very reliable and trustworthy sources. The chairman is a retina guy.

The RRC has given all programs 3 year accreditation. There's more specific information but if it's mentioned then you could figure out whom I'm talking about. The forum rules prohibit mentioning people's names. So the crooks get away with it and the good guy gets unrewarded.

Why the hey are you posting all these details if you won't say what the programs are? Maybe I'm an idiot, but I don't really see any way to read between the lines and figure out what "brand x, y and z" are based on your cryptic hints.

odieoh said:
Why the hey are you posting all these details if you won't say what the programs are? Maybe an idiot, but I don't really see any way to read between the lines and figure out what "brand x, y and z" are base on your cryptic hints.
There are no cryptic hints. There's no way you could figure out which programs X, Y, and Z are.

After reading all the protests about another program just a few posts above, why should one be so frank? A medical student may conclude that he or she has to be careful when evaluating programs. Some programs are not very good but hide it and say they are the best and some programs are good and are very modest.

2020 said:
There are no cryptic hints. There's no way you could figure out which programs X, Y, and Z are.

After reading all the protests about another program just a few posts above, why should one be so frank? A medical student may conclude that he or she has to be careful when evaluating programs. Some programs are not very good but hide it and say they are the best and some programs are good and are very modest.

Ok, so why even bother to write everything you wrote? It seems pointless. If your whole point was what you said in your most recent quote, why not just say that to begin with?

People who want to communicate with me privately may do so. There's a lot of evil out there but it goes unreported or covered up. Don't expect the RRC to take any interest in helping. Some residents will even defend a bad program and say it's excellent.

There have even been programs that serious misconduct has occured, such as sexual harrassment (or other misconduct). If you are a woman or a straight man, would you like to go to such a program unwittingly? One reliable ophthalmologist I talked with was not shocked to hear of trouble regarding a chairman having had trouble with him 10 years ago. Other misconduct can be non-sexual, but just as bad.

It's a tough situation for medical students. How can one post "University of such and such is bad"? Medical students have to find out privately from the very few who will tell. It certainly can't be posted. Look at that other place a few posts above. They got very defensive even though the negative comments posted were mild and only slightly negative. With that kind of reaction, how could you even consider posting about a place with even worse misconduct?

Wow, what rush to support that South Carolina program, University of South Carolina!

I heard that they fired a PGY-4 resident recently. So he was on his way to finishing when they decided to ruin his career for life! That's a sign of a very malignant program.

I also heard that this is not the first time they did this. I heard they fired a chief resident not too long ago because he questioned illegal practices by the department.

UNC has fired a resident, but it was in their 1st year, well within the time that the person could shift careers and the person was not technically fired, just allowed to finish up the year.

I heard at the Academy that a certain program is getting a new faculty member. Then I heard his name mentioned. Hey, I thought that guy was at.........University of South Carolina! That means they are losing another faculty member. I think they've lost retina, cornea, oculoplastics, glaucoma, and a few other faculty within the past year or two. That program typically only has one or fewer faculty per subspecialty. Must be a lot of unhappy faculty with so many fleeing.

At the Academy meeting, I also heard of some other faculty changes at various programs but South Carolina seems to have a disproportionate amount for a small department. Other programs (such as Medical College of Virginia, Bascom Palmer, etc.) are having changes of faculty but they involve only 1-2 people and these programs didn't generate the uproar that South Carolina created here in this forum so there's no point in posting about it.

To 2020:

The whole purpose of these sort of internet forums is so that you *CAN* say stuff that you otherwise wouldn't in public. It's a chance for us to speak our minds or communicate information in an open environment.

I think it would be beneficial for all the med students here if you would just state openly the programs that you think are good and bad (like the rest of us do). It's not like your program is going to track down your IP address, figure out who you are, and fire you because you posted here.

Well, I think there is at least one great lesson to be learned for all you OPH applicants this year. Not everything is as it seems on interview day!!

For example...I really liked University of SC. I thought the program was pretty good, I liked the residents there, and I liked Columbia. I actually ranked it pretty high on my list and would have happily gone there. Goes to show...I had no idea they had such a bad reputation, or else I woudn't have bothered interviewing there.

I did think the program director there was a real ***** though. Oh yeah...the attending who questioned my view on euthanasia was a jerk too (as if euthanasia is a common ethical dilemma in OPH). Come to think of it, they were the most malignant interviewers I encountered on the interview trail. Guess it wasn't so great afterall.

Ok, out of curiousity, why are the LSU programs considered so terrible? Are they just poorly organized or are these programs considered malignant?

If someone doesn't feel comfortable calling out problems in public, please PM me.

Thanks.

PS Rock on, Geddy.

I have the same question as chameleonknight. Would be happy for any info.
Thanks