Programs that have been on probation.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

JMK2005

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
PPV said:
Also, I got an e-mail from the U Wisconsin residency director letting me know that as of August 2004, the ophthalmology residency program there is under probation from the ACGME. Anyone have any inside info about the situation and how easy it will be to resolve?

Does anyone know how to search for any other programs that are on probation or have been on probation in the past?

If you know of any, please post them.

The ACGME website only list "withdrawn" programs. For the 2004-05 year, not programs have been withdrawn.

Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

JMK2005 said:
Does anyone know how to search for any other programs that are on probation or have been on probation in the past?

If you know of any, please post them.

The ACGME website only list "withdrawn" programs. For the 2004-05 year, not programs have been withdrawn.

Thanks.

I did reply to your Wisconsin inquiry under the "2005 Match: Interviews..." post.

I think the RRC (ACGME) overlooks and does not place some programs under probation even though they may be clearly sub-standard. A program may escape probation if it knows how to fill out of the RRC forms cleverly.

It is my understanding that UTMB (Galveston, TX), Tulane, Bronx Lebanon are on probation. It's possible that some of these programs may have exited probation recently. I think that LSU-New Orleans, Tennessee-Chattanooga have been on probation in the recent past. Legend has it that Mayo was on probation more than 10 years ago.

Probation is a difficult thing for medical students to assess because some of these programs are better than programs that are not on probation.

how important is it to consider probation? I live in New Orleans and would like to stay here, but LSU is a 5 year and Tulane is on probation. I don't want to limit myself from getting a good job later, so does that i mean i pack up and leave? I know i have to answer this for myself, but is probation that big of a deal or is it something that medical students throw out of proportion?

thanks

Members don't see this ad :)
If you graduate from a non-accredited residency program, you will not be able to sit for board certification. Meaning, you will not be board eligible. Since most, if not all, practices hire board-certified/eligible physicians, you are pretty much left with opening your own practice (and have to explain your inqusitive patients why you're not board certified - yes, they check) or working for county hospital, federal government, or small town desperate for an ophthalmologist.

So in short, it's hugely important...

GlaucomaMD said:
If you graduate from a non-accredited residency program, you will not be able to sit for board certification. Meaning, you will not be board eligible. Since most, if not all, practices hire board-certified/eligible physicians, you are pretty much left with opening your own practice (and have to explain your inqusitive patients why you're not board certified - yes, they check) or working for county hospital, federal government, or small town desperate for an ophthalmologist.

So in short, it's hugely important...
As far as I know, there are no unaccredited ophthalmology residency programs in the US. If someone is concerned with the University of Wisconsin (not to be confused with Dale Heuer's program at the Medical College of Wisconsin in Milwaukee), they need not be concerned about it losing accreditation. That will never happen.

Even Interfaith in Brooklyn was allowed to die a slow death with plenty of warning. They stayed open for quite a while and stopped accepting new residents.

thats good to hear that ACGME gave the program a heads up so that future residents would know about it. would hate to in a program that looses accreditation during the four year training period.

The RRC looks at different things than a prospective resident would look for. Most programs are accredited for 3 years (very rarely 5 years). Within the 3 year group, there is tremendous variation.

Does anyone know anything about UT Galveston? I just got an interview offer from them and the letter disclosed that their program was just given a probationary accreditation, to be reassessed in 12/05. All they say is that "the vast the majority of the cited problems have been corrected."

ortholsu said:
how important is it to consider probation?

I think this is important because it may reflect the morale of the program in regards to the academic, training, and working environment. If a program is on probation, then it is very likely that the residents there are extremely unhappy. I think resident happiness and collegiality greatly influence your happiness. If you have a bunch of disgruntled residents as your seniors, they may be less inclined to teach and be supportive.

My advice to you all is to gauge the happiness of residents at the programs you're considering. Beware of the programs where the residents don't show up, or only a few residents come, to meet with applicants. Resident happiness is one factor that most people over look.