Programs Starting In June

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dd_dpt2014

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Is there any advantage or disadvantage to starting a program in June? I always thought I would have a summer to prepare.

Members don't see this ad.

I'm not sure about advantage/disadvantage however I do know that a lot of programs that start in the summer give a light course load during that semester so that you have the opportunity to acclimate to the rigorous schedule. The thought of never having a summer off again is slightly traumatizing to me, however I believe having a period in the beginning to help acclimate before the classes get intense will be very useful in the transition from undergrad to graduate school.

That's a great point. So compared to schools that are 2.5 years long but start in Septmeber, I would still graduate at the same time... right?

Members don't see this ad :)
What would you do in the summer to "prepare"? I'd say enjoy your short break. If your program does not afford you one, it's not going to really change anything.

Reactions: 1 user
A lot of programs start in the summer. At Utah, we took Anatomy, Pathophysiology and a professionalism course, only had class 3 days a week... it still felt like a relaxing summer.

That's a great point. So compared to schools that are 2.5 years long but start in Septmeber, I would still graduate at the same time... right?
Depends on the cirriculum of the schools. For instance, Pitt starts in June and Chatham in August. My friend started PT school in June 2011 and will graduate in May 2014. I started in August 2011 and just graduated yesterday, December 2013.

Pitt is the program I am trying to decide on. Do you believe there is a large disadvantage to graduating later?

Pitt is the program I am trying to decide on. Do you believe there is a large disadvantage to graduating later?
The only "disadvantage" I see is I graduated now and my friend has to sit through clinical until May. ;) Maybe if his placement was better, he wouldn't mind having to wait, but I'd imagine it will be tough when I start making real money and he isn't yet. I think it's most important to decide if the school and its values are in alignment with yours. I got accepted to both Pitt and Chatham, but I chose Chatham for many reasons over Pitt. Graduating earlier was one of them, but it's more of a perk rather than a deciding factor. In the grand scheme, it's not like I'll be working an entire year before him, I'll really just have 2-3 months on him.