Programs I SHOULD apply to

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
The advice I was primarily given was to choose the best programs in your general region, except that the Big 3 programs can be equal to or better than the best programs in your desired region.

From my experience and personal opinions on the interview trail, this is what I thought were the top programs by region:

Big 3: MDACC, MSKCC, HROP
East: Penn, Johns Hopkins
Midwest: Mayo, WashU, Michigan
West: UCSF, Stanford, UCSD
South: Duke, UNC, Florida

Next tier below:
East: Yale, Maryland
Midwest: Cleveland Clinic, Chicago, Wisconsin
West: UCLA, Colorado, OHSU
South: UTSW, Emory

Some other rankings of desired locations:
NYC: MSKCC >>> NYU = Sinai > Montefiore > Columbia >>> NYP = Downstate = Stony Brook
California: UCSF >= Stanford > UCSD >> UCLA >> USC > Kaiser = Cedars Sinai > UC Davis, City of Hope, UCI, Loma Linda

I may ruffle some feathers but this is just my 2c.
This is about right. Can’t really argue with much here.

Members don't see this ad.

Solid list. Probably won't put Emory at tier one though due to prior soaping issues, new chair and rotations at multiple sites.

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Solid list. Probably won't put Emory at tier one though due to prior soaping issues, new chair and rotations at multiple sites.
My guess is new chair will take them down a notch. Say what you will about wally, but he ran a tight (but malignant) ship. New chair will be more interested in defunding the police than radonc.

Last edited:
  • Haha
  • Love
Reactions: 6 users
I think that’s a fair assessment on Emory. My reasoning for including was because it is a larger program, which means a wider alumni network, even if it doesn’t always mean “better.” Of course, none of these rankings necessarily have much to do with quality of training or quality of life, as we have spoken ad nauseum about the need to find a program most likely to land you a job.

Reactions: 1 users
I think that’s a fair assessment on Emory. My reasoning for including was because it is a larger program, which means a wider alumni network, even if it doesn’t always mean “better.” Of course, none of these rankings necessarily have much to do with quality of training or quality of life, as we have spoken ad nauseum about the need to find a program most likely to land you a job.
Fair point.. Emory is a bigger program in the south with a decent size alumni network

Reactions: 1 user
Should ucsd be recommended? I mean don’t get me wrong, I’d love to live in San Diego for 4 years, but do they have an alumni network that’s large enough yet?

Reactions: 1 user
Btw part of her recruitment package was that the department would feature trans bathrooms.
If true, this is actually a meaningful DEI initiative and should be applauded. As opposed to much disparity research.

• Dislike
Reactions: 2 users