programs 1 , rirriri 0

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Academic pathology departments like people with research interests and phds partly because these folks may draw research $$$ into the department, either during residency, which is less common, or afterwards if they stick around. These folks are also more likely to go into academics, and thus gain their training program a feather in the cap when the become professors, chairpersons, etc, elsewhere. It's all about improving reputation.

That being said, I also have neither a phd nor a significant preior research entry on myCV. I anticipate an academic career and participation in research during residency. I have gotten good responses and treatment at big name programs despite these above things being lacking. I don't think that even big name programs can fill up with phd candidates even if they want to, as there aren't enough. So don't despair.

BTW I did not come away from Northwestern feeling that they only wanted researchers. There were a couple of people I interviewed with that certainly wanted more researchers to go through the program, but there were others, including the PD that seemed to suggest a balance. I think your bluntness was appropriate. I have heard that speech too, and I haven't initiated any discussions with programs about where I stand, etc.

Members don't see this ad.

I agree with Yaah in that you did the right thing by telling him about your feelings toward the program.

Are your interviews done now or do you have more coming up?

Good luck the rest of the way!

By the way, I'll be rolling by Schaumberg in May to visit a friend. I'll e-mail you and see if you want to bust openm a Guiness together to celebrate your match with Northwestern!

later

Thanks for the information, yaah. It makes sense to have a balance, and I suppose research money is usually not frowned upon by any department! :)

Brian

Members don't see this ad :)
RI, sorry to hear the sad story of your CSA. I would suggest you to take the next year for research with somebody at Northwestern. You know them, and they know you. This will increase your chance for the next match. Also, you get paid for that. Good luck, man.

Rirriri--

I'm really sorry to hear about the CSA exam. My cousin didn't pass his first time, either, but he was able to scramble--are you sure you won't be able to?

I'm sure I speak for the rest of us when I say that we feel for you (even though I'm just a second year and haven't gone through the Step-CSA-Matching process yet).

It may seem impossible at this point, but I hope you don't let this get in the way of what you ultimately want to do. Pathology NEEDS people like you!!

I wish I could give more words of encouragement. Stay strong!!

Brian

Dude - spring the $60 or whatever it is for a rescore/recheck. MAYBE you'll get lucky and it will work out. And $60 is A LOT better than $1200. If it's just legibility of your paper, the next person to look at it might be able to read it.

You've gotten this far - take every chance you can!

PS - I was held out of the match 2 years ago because I couldn't get a CSA date in time ("that won't happen", my ass), signed outside for prelim IM, reapplied for EM, STILL didn't match, scrambled, and am at Duke now - f'n DUKE! We're in a very similar boat, but, the race isn't always to the swiftest, but to the one who keeps running (I ripped that quote, but I don't know from whom). Push, push, push, and you'll be MONEY. I promise.

Sorry, man. I thought sure you'd match this year.

I hope you stick with path (a year of research, perhaps?) and give it a go next year. Personally, I'd like to have people like yourself wherever I end up, too.

Don't beat yourself up - one year seems like a long time, but it could really be a fun one for you, too.

Keep us posted.

P

okay I accidentally clicked on pathology instead of pediatrics but was intrigued by the rirriri post here (one of my fav posters), and although I am not an expert (only play one in rotations, HAH), is there any way you could do research as a previous poster suggested OR go to grad school in the US? I know that seems like a ****ty thing to do, but at grad school, you can get research experience, the classes are soooooo much easier than med school, and you can make some good contacts.

just an idea

good luck. this totally sucks for you. :(

Sorry to hear the news about the CSA man. A couple of friends who for whatever reason did not qualify got jobs as PA's (one in Orlando, the other in Houston). One worked the year, made some cash in the process and re-applied. He is now in residency. The other was offered a contract at the same place and stayed on as a resident.

Also, alot of Universities would welcome a Post-Doc researcher for a year. I have hooked up a few friends with such positions in LA. If all else fails, drop me a line. Its in Path, nice lab, nice people, and good connections.

Hope all turns out well for you!

2000, I just graduated, came in the USA, got one interview , one prematch - and few days later I found out that I failed CSA. I am now in grad school. Applpied this year.
So, if you have any specific questions, let me know. Keep working. SOmetimes, I am happy that I failed CSA for the first time - if I would pass I would be now in a community hosp. Instead now I have interviews at University programs, publications, degree...

Good luck,

Simon

rirriri,

What is this CSA exam you were talking about?

I hope you'll keep us updated on this board about what you're doing this year. Good luck with everything!

Members don't see this ad :)
The CSA is the clinical skills assessment, on the requirements IMG's need to obtain ECFMG certification and thus being able to go into residency.

Hey rirriri: I took my CSA on Jan 27, and I am simply ****ing my pants right now. I keep thinking about everything I did wrong during the exam. How did you feel after leaving the exam? Did you feel something had gone wrong? For how long did you prepare?

I'm curious to see how he did also. I took mine in September (Atlanta). Honestly I thought it was more of an English proficiency exam than a "clinical" one.

After the exam I did pull a couple of Homer Simpson's and say "Doh!!!" as did my two other friends who took the exam the same day, but it wasn't anything major.

In terms of preparation, we talked to a Doc out where we were all rotating and got him to let us use a room in his clinic the two weekends before the test. Those 4 days we just took turns and simulated different scenarios from the OSCE Prep Book (ie. pt w/headache, vag bleed, weight loss). Then we marked the problem cases and reviewed them on the drive down to Atlanta. Overall we all felt prepared and basically worried as every IMG does after every exam until the report came back.

Don't sweat it too much as I am sure you passed.

Good Luck with the match.

Hey everyone,

The CSA was a load of crap. Having said that I did crap my pants for about 5 weeks until I got my result. I also felt that it was an 'english' test, but more in the way of how you relate to people, rather than how well you pronounce. Communication is a much bigger task than speaking a language. I think that's the point of the CSA. I wouldn't sweat it. I do wish they gave some sort of feedback along with the score, something like what they do with Step1 and 2. I would like to see where I did well and where I did not so well. There were a few stations I left repeating to myself: "Oh ****, oh ****, oh ****." I am sure that you did fine!! I took mine in Atlanta as well, I thought the people there were awsome. Very nice environment. Anyway, that is my 2 cents. Now, back to my 'senior slide'...As my pediatric resident sister in law says: 'what's the most useless thing in a hospital? A med student who has passed Step 2" HAHA.

I took my CSA in Atlanta too, sometime in December. I think the best way to prepare for it is to follow the Kaplan format. I did not attend their classes but I saw a friend that doled out the five grand plus for it and he was quite helpful. One thing that you must not miss is the simulations.
In recent years many IMGs fail the test because of the erroneous impression that it is just a test of English proficiency and communication. They have changed the rules! Knowledge content, coomunication and professionalism are all scored now. The biggest error will be to study for this test. Practice rather than read. Do the case simulations with another person (preferably someone preparing for the exam also or that have just taken it). The OSCE book is not very good for practice. I recommend a CD you can get from www.usmile.us. Whoever owns that site offers a CD compendium with cases exactly as they appear on the test. Practice the simulations with someone with all the CSA timings, just like the real exam. The Kaplan CSA book is also very good especially for the exact wordings of your history and the way to frame your questions. Also the physical exam highlight is important.
Practice, simulations, practice, simulations, that is the key to CSA.

where can I buy the Kaplan csa book???

You gotta be shi**in me are we all gotta be holding hands in here, is this the Psych forum?

I really admire ririri's perserverance but I gotta say that I am a US born FMG and I took the CSA..and passed the first time. That test is a complete joke. If you have 1/2 a neuron working on test day and english is your first language and you have done any rotation in the US than there is NO freakin way you should fail that exam.

SO if you are worried about the exam and you
speak ringrish as your first language......then forget about it. just dont spend the day before the test doing bong hits while watching Cheech and Chong movies and Peter North downloads from Kazaa. Go in there an just talk to patients and do all of that touchy-feely BS.."oh my gosh, I am sorry to hear you are having difficulty getting an erection, that must be so tough for you....lets see if we can get you feeling better...I'll get you a nurse"

So ririri you must of just had a bad day.

Yep, uncalled for and unwelcome.

But, people like that always get what is coming to them in the end. Karma is a b*tch.

I second (or third) that emotion!

Nastiness is so unbecoming.

By the way, has anyone heard from Rirriri? I sent him a PM a few weeks back and haven't heard anything. Just wanted to know how he was doing.

I second that notion too.....completely uncalled for!

pathologypete, i don't think the CSA is an easy exam. i took it seriously and studied for it for about 3 weeks. i didn't take a review course, but i bought that review book which gives scenarios and is in workbook form, and did it cover to cover. for some topics, such as headaches, i really had no idea about management and treatment, so i'm glad i studied.

besides the material, you're also pretty pressured for time, both in the exam rooms and when you're writing up the case afterwards. my hands were literally hurting from trying to write so fast AND legibly before time was called.

so riririri, seriously, don't feel bad.

in addition to doing research next year, you ought to consider some clinical work in order to demonstrate to PDs that your H&P skills are not lousy, despite the CSA setback. this may not be very important to the path programs, but it is to the prelim year or transitional year PGY-1 programs you apply to.

best of luck!

i barely cracked a book for the CSA. i made the MISTAKE of also thinking "oh, it's a load of crap" and that i didn't need to study.

the english part of the exam is easy for a US born IMG.....but the other part of the exam was called "data gathering" and that's what most people fail on.

i underestimated it and thought of it as the 2nd TOEFL exam, but when i recieved my "fail" score, i realised that i shouldn't have underestimated ANY exam.

i was as confident as the next person about my exam, i walked out thinking it was cake...but y'never know do you?

cheers
rirriri