Program Reviews

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

EMIM2011

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Anyone able to post some program reviews? Particularly interested in EM-CC programs. Thx.

Members don't see this ad.

Come on guys....180 views and no posts ?!

I figure that all of the programs will train you well if you put in the time and effort...

What I'm wondering about (when it comes to IM-CC programs, since that's what I'm applying to) is the teaching aspect.

For me, I want a program that has the following...
1) Opportunity to teach residents and medical students
2) Acute pathology (some places get a lot of transfers from surrounding hospitals after they've already sat in the ICU there for a few days)
3) Attendings who take home call at night (so the fellows can run the unit alone at night)
4) Fellows get the right of first refusal on procedures
5) Opportunity for self-directed research

I figure everywhere has all of these things to one degree or another; otherwise they wouldn't have a fellowship... but my ideal program would have all 5.

I've tried to research programs as best as I can online, but the military firewalls here block all kinds of things and many subpages of websites so it's difficult to get good information. And by the time I return from the desert the interview cycle will be over. So I'll echo EMIM2011; any information you all can give about programs would be appreciated.

Members don't see this ad :)
Home call is where its at. Wish I had something to offer you guys but my experience is only with the 3 im/ccm/pulm places i interviewed.

Generally speaking all if those requirements are met pretty much everywhere.

BTW I just did my first rigid bronch and it was MONEY

You like home call for yourself, your attendings, or both?

Home call is where its at. Wish I had something to offer you guys but my experience is only with the 3 im/ccm/pulm places i interviewed.

Fellows and attendings at my program take home call. residents stay inhouse at university and VA while NPs stay inhouse at the big private hospital.

BTW I just did my first rigid bronch and it was MONEY

Nice. Now you've got to drop some knowledge on me, a poor EM doc (and this is off topic)...

What's the utility of a rigid bronch versus a flexible bronch and when do you want to use a rigid scope?

Last edited: