Program Directors please weigh in...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Elisabeth Kate

Membership Revoked
Removed
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I know what the med students think because I did a search, but I haven't seen too many replies from PDs. What would you think of a woman wearing a suit that's a color other than black, brown, gray, or navy for interview?

When interviewing for med school, I wore a muted red suit (as in, it wasn't bright red, it was more like a dull red) and was told at 2 different interviews that I stood out in a good way. The faculty member who interviewed me at the place I eventually chose to attend said that one thing she liked was that I wore red while everyone else looked like they were attending a funeral.

At that time, I didn't know there was a stigma attached to anything other than black, brown, gray, or navy or else I may not have risked it. But given that, do you automatically count off for a woman wearing a bold color, even if it isn't outrageous and she looks polished?

Members don't see this ad.

FWIW...most guys wear a black or navy suit with a white shirt...I wore a gray suit with a blue shirt, and I received compliments on most interviews for not dressing like everyone else.

I know what the med students think because I did a search, but I haven't seen too many replies from PDs. What would you think of a woman wearing a suit that's a color other than black, brown, gray, or navy for interview?

= instant rejection

Seriously people? :rolleyes:

= instant rejection

Seriously people? :rolleyes:

Before you roll those eyes, read this from a very respected member of SDN and a longtime attending:

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showpost.php?p=14521389&postcount=30

And there are many more opinions just that. It's not like I just pulled some random thing out of thin air and imagined it being a bad thing. For whatever reason, many here think that if you wear any color outside of the traditionally conservative colors, you'll doom your chances. I think it's a ridiculous claim, but wanted to get a program director's opinion in case there was something I was missing.

As long as it's professional, you're fine.

This.

Before you roll those eyes, read this from a very respected member of SDN and a longtime attending:

And there are many more opinions just that. It's not like I just pulled some random thing out of thin air and imagined it being a bad thing. For whatever reason, many here think that if you wear any color outside of the traditionally conservative colors, you'll doom your chances. I think it's a ridiculous claim, but wanted to get a program director's opinion in case there was something I was missing.

I realize that med students can as a rule be a neurotic bunch, but this is getting ridiculous. As an MS4, you should be over the age of 25 (unless you're Doogie Howser) . You should know by now what type of clothes are appropriate to wear to a formal job interview.

For clarification:

1) surgery is much more conservative than other fields; YMMV
2) the OP in that post was asking about wearing a "non-suit": a red jacket with mismatched pants. It might look cute, but a mismatched suit is by definition, more casual, and therefore, probably not appropriate for interview.
3) If you've read other posts I've made over the years, you'll see I do usually advocate stepping slightly outside the box and that applicants don't necessarily have to wear "the uniform".
4) frankly, *most* important to me (when evaluating candidates and their fashion) is not the color of the suit but whether it fits, is clean and is reasonably within style

This.

I realize that med students can as a rule be a neurotic bunch, but this is getting ridiculous. As an MS4, you should be over the age of 25 (unless you're Doogie Howser) . You should know by now what type of clothes are appropriate to wear to a formal job interview.

I'm in my early 20's and have never gone on a job interview before, but as I said, I went to my med school interview in red with no problem. Then I search for last year's interview thread to see what people wore in the winter (boots etc) and I find posts from people acting like it's mandatory to wear a dark color. Then I find the post I linked above and I started to wonder if maybe there's just something I'm not considering so I wanted to be sure. I'm not an idiot. I just wanted clarification/assurance from someone who makes these types of decisions.

Winged Scapula said:
2) the OP in that post was asking about wearing a "non-suit": a red jacket with mismatched pants. It might look cute, but a mismatched suit is by definition, more casual, and therefore, probably not appropriate for interview.
3) If you've read other posts I've made over the years, you'll see I do usually advocate stepping slightly outside the box and that applicants don't necessarily have to wear "the uniform".
4) frankly, *most* important to me (when evaluating candidates and their fashion) is not the color of the suit but whether it fits, is clean and is reasonably within style

Gotcha. Thanks.

For clarification:

I apologize ahead of time if this seems overly neurotic, but I wonder if you would consider the following to be a "mismatched suit." I have a gray pinstripe suit jacket and matching slacks. I also have a gray sheath dress from the same suit store that is the exact same shade of gray and the same style, but without the pinstripes. Would wearing the gray dress and gray pinstripe suit jacket together be considered mismatched and therefore too casual?

I apologize ahead of time if this seems overly neurotic, but I wonder if you would consider the following to be a "mismatched suit." I have a gray pinstripe suit jacket and matching slacks. I also have a gray sheath dress from the same suit store that is the exact same shade of gray and the same style, but without the pinstripes. Would wearing the gray dress and gray pinstripe suit jacket together be considered mismatched and therefore too casual?

Sounds fine since they are the exact same color and presumably the same material.

For clarification:

Despite my sarcasm in the other thread, I think this is good advice.

#4 is crucial. I'm much less likely to judge someone negatively on a slightly "different" suit if it is well tailored and their outfit coordinates. I have no problem with someone being slightly stylish.

Honestly for the men reading this thread, if you have a suit that is relatively well tailored, and your shoes aren't boxy Kenneth Cole slip ons with rubber soles, you are already ahead of 90% of the other applicants.

For women I think there is generally a bit more license to be fashionable...but you still have to walk a fine line. There was an applicant a couple years ago who was remembered solely as "red dress girl" when it came time to make the rank lists...

For women I think there is generally a bit more license to be fashionable...but you still have to walk a fine line. There was an applicant a couple years ago who was remembered solely as "red dress girl" when it came time to make the rank lists...

Was her dress outlandish? The interview suit I have picked out is a shade of purple, but it's very well-tailored and fitted. And it's not like a bold or bright purple either. More like a wine color, but with slightly more purple in it. I just don't want to be known as the purple suit girl. I guess I'll wear it to my first one and see if I can tell by others reactions if its too much. I do have a black one I could switch to if it doesn't go over well.

Was her dress outlandish? The interview suit I have picked out is a shade of purple, but it's very well-tailored and fitted. And it's not like a bold or bright purple either. More like a wine color, but with slightly more purple in it. I just don't want to be known as the purple suit girl. I guess I'll wear it to my first one and see if I can tell by others reactions if its too much. I do have a black one I could switch to if it doesn't go over well.

This girl's dress was crimson red, and was more notable for how short and tight it was...quite outlandish...

Fellow interviewee here.
I don't do drab colors.
Wore classy black pants, a gold/mustard silk blouse and a peacock tailored jacket. Lots of compliments.

OP your suit sounds nice and I'm sure its beautiful on you but IMO residency interviews are not the place to wear something so atypical. the way i see it, no one is going to detract points from your score if you wear a black suit, white shirt and black pumps. Yes its boring, but its appropriate and will never go out of style. You can't offend someone or rub them the wrong way in a standard outfit like that. Whereas a red suit might make someone think you care more about fashion/style than the interview. I just feel like an older, traditional PD might think that's just plain weird to wear. Especially those are who are totally unfamiliar with fashion trends in the current day and age. Medicine is still by and large a very conservative field. However you could definitely wear a little color and be creative at the resident dinners the night before!

I've been reading a lot of posts about how people wore out of the ordinary things to their interviews and got lots of compliments on it. It makes me instantly think of that quote from the move Mean Girls - "That is the ugliest effing skirt I have ever seen" :
[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jUPwmcNQETQ[/YOUTUBE]

Re: the mustard blouse and peacock jacket? I'm sorry but I really don't think a mismatched suit is appropriate for a formal job interview. Unless you are applying for a position at Vogue or something, save your fun outfits for another time.

We get away with a bit more color in the south. I'm sure it wouldn't fly elsewhere but I'm not applying elsewhere.
**disclaimer: I had been on an audition rotation at this site for the last month and had a good idea of what was acceptable there. Will likely tone it down for unknown places but gotta have some color :)

We get away with a bit more color in the south. I'm sure it wouldn't fly elsewhere but I'm not applying elsewhere.
**disclaimer: I had been on an audition rotation at this site for the last month and had a good idea of what was acceptable there. Will likely tone it down for unknown places but gotta have some color :)

no we don't...if anything, we may be even more conservative than northern programs...you can get away with being more feminine...skirt, colorful blouse, higher heels... but not flamboyant...

That is an exception, though. You knew what the site was like and what kind of outfit would be appropriate. If you are visiting a school you aren't familiar with, you should probably just dress in a normal, matching suit in typical colors so that you don't give off the wrong impression.

And I agree with rokshana...I grew up in the south and I think they tend to be more conservative too - skirtsuits over pants for women, pantyhose, feminine blouses, etc. If anything, I think a bigger more fashion oriented city like NYC would be the place to get away with a mismatched/trendy outfit.

Edit to add: I was really frustrated by this topic of what to wear to residency interviews. I love wearing color and I like more modern looks like cropped jackets with a skinny trouser and such. I tried so hard to find a trendy outfit and make it work somehow. I wanted to look "cute" for my interview. Then.... I realized, its just a few days out of the year where I have to dress in a boring suit like everyone else. There will be plenty of other opportunities in life to wear better more interesting outfits. I can wear fun outfits to resident dinners, second look dinners, and of course when I actually land a residency and start working somewhere!!

Last edited:
Then.... I realized, its just a few days out of the year where I have to dress in a boring suit like everyone else. There will be plenty of other opportunities in life to wear better more interesting outfits. I can wear fun outfits to resident dinners, second look dinners, and of course when I actually land a residency and start working somewhere!!

This. Exactly. :thumbup:

It's just a few days out of your life. You can play the game for a few days.

Reactions: 1 user

I would say the opposite is probably true. The South is much more conservative from my experience. Just for others who may read this - that may just be the experience at your particular institution.

We require that all of our applicants wear either a dark blue or dark green suit (men and women alike). No other colors are acceptable.
If the applicant is unsure of which one of the two they are supposed to wear, they can ask our coordinator to find out which color they are assigned to. But if they have to call and ask, it is a red flag for us.

Reactions: 1 user
We require that all of our applicants wear either a dark blue or dark green suit (men and women alike). No other colors are acceptable.
If the applicant is unsure of which one of the two they are supposed to wear, they can ask our coordinator to find out which color they are assigned to. But if they have to call and ask, it is a red flag for us.

this is the first thing i have laughed at all day.

:)