Program Directors communicating?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

eitheror

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm just wondering how often Program Directors (or others on the admission committee) from different institutions talk with each other?

What do they typically discuss? I've heard that they tell each other which applicants have said "I'm going to rank you #1," but outside of that, I'm not sure what gets talked about?

Also, do they typically call up your Program Director (or others) at your home program to discuss you?

Members don't see this ad.

It happens, but I suspect not very often. From what I understand, there are three main factors which could result in two PDs communicating about individual applicants:

1. The PDs treat the same subsite and know each other personally from meetings and such
2. The two programs in question are in the same "tier."
3. The applicant in question is highly coveted by both programs OR the applicant has made it clear that a certain program is #1 and the PD is calling to relay or verify this fact

I know of one instance where a student rotated at one program but REALLY wanted to go elsewhere to a specific program. The PD where he rotated called the other PD and relayed this information. Thus the student matched where he wanted.

Another special instance of PD communication is in the Couples Match. Sometimes one person in the couple is a superstar and the other person markedly less so. In such cases a PD may try to pressure another PD (almost always in a different specialty) to facilitate matching their ideal candidate.

Nearly always, PDs communicating is good for you. For some strange reason people assume the opposite. PDs are busy enough and don't spend their spare time figuring out ways to screw med students.