profusionist

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

titanmd

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Could someone please give me information about becoming a profusionist. I have recently been introduced to the idea but cannot find any information about it. Demand, education requirements, work schedule~ ect.
Thank you! (in advance) :)

Members don't see this ad.

Originally posted by titanmd:
•Could someone please give me information about becoming a profusionist. I have recently been introduced to the idea but cannot find any information about it. Demand, education requirements, work schedule~ ect.
Thank you! (in advance) :)

Are you talking about a perfusionist? The people who do the heart/lung machine?
Here are some links:
http://www.perfusion.com/ http://www.wnjpin.state.nj.us/OneStopCareerCenter/JobSeeker/CareerFields/car0262.html

I thought about this too, my aunt said they can make major bucks, but I found that it only held true for the top level admins in the industry. Its really stressful too (from what i've heard).

Thanks Mo Belafkih, it's no wonder i couldn't find any info...duh!

Members don't see this ad :)
Profusionist- someone who draws blood!
You will have to get training for it. No degree required probably just High school diploma. Most hospitals have information on were to get training and all that stuff. Just call the adminstrative department about profusionist training.

Vic:

There is no such thing as a profusionist. What you are referring to is a phlebotomist and there are certification programs for phlebotomy.

Phlebotomists work in the laboratory and are responsible for drawing blood from patients for clinical laboratory testing. Pay is pretty low, about $9-10/hr., Someplaces are higher with weekend and night differential.

The Two Above Posts are VERY wrong.

There is indeed a profession called "perfusionist" and it entails working with heart lung bypass, etc.

It pays very well

Here is a link that you might find helpful: http://www.musc.edu/cp/
It is to the cardiac perfusionist program at my school. A friend of mine was looking at the info on the web, too. Good luck, because there is not a whole lot out there on this program. Salary.com does not even have a catagory for it.
To those of you who wrote back saying "no such thing" or thinking that a phlebot is the same as a perfusionist should consider doing a little research before giving out blatantly false or useless information

Funkadesi and Anon:

Just for clarification purposes...what I said was, there is no such thing as a PROfusionist. I never said there was no such thing as a PERfusionist. I know exactly what a perfusionist is from working as a PA in cardiac surgery for the past 5-years!

My post was addressed to Vic who was confusing a profusionist (which doesn't exist) with a phlebotomist.

While checking out Princeton Review I found another name for this major/job. Its called "Circulation Technology" its described as "providing support to surgeons who perform complex cardiac surgery." Such as to "provide cardiopulmonary support in situations where it is necessary to temporarily suspend a patient's cardiac or respiratory functions".
The site gones on to state the average salary is 55,000-65,000 and to expect overtime and to be on call.

Just for clarification purposes...what I said was, there is no such thing as a PROfusionist. I never said there was no such thing as a PERfusionist. I know exactly what a perfusionist is from working as a PA in cardiac surgery for the past 5-years

Ive never heard of a Phyzzishun's Assistant before either.....catch my drift?

And how could you think he mistakenly meant "Phlebotomist?"
Perfusionist is a LOT more similar of a word.

Dont rely on spelling so much, for transfer of ideas.
When the EKG goes, "V-TAK, V-TAK, V-TAK" one day, are you going to sit there in your OT, and act like you didnt understand?