Professional Organization Involvement Post-Graduation?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

LucidDream

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
My school year before rotations (last year), I was required to attend a professional organization's convention as part of our capstone. I thoroughly enjoyed the experience and would love to go to other professional meetings.

As a recent graduate, I have a few existing memberships with professional organizations from months ago when I was a student (NCPA, SSHP, etc.) and was strongly considering keeping them and getting new ones. I've talked my co-workers and friends who graduated the year before me and it seems very few people keep their memberships post graduation. Their reasons varied, though money was a recurring factor, followed swiftly by not having the time to do anything with being a member (and again, not having the time to do anything with it, would not make it worth the money).

So, I'm curious as to if my geographical region/people I work with is actually representative of pharmacy as a whole. This being said- is anyone here involved in professional organizations and if so, what is your level of involvement?

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Just member level of ACCP and SCCM.

I don't have time to be more involved with that. My friends who are faculty members tend to be committee members and whatnot, but their jobs allow them to do that stuff while at work.

Some of it is money. My local ASHP chapters dues are more than ASHP! I'm not paying that for an organization where I am more likely to do the educating than be educated.