Professional Exams at RCSI

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

vegetto_456

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey Everyone,

I was reading through the student handbook and was reading the section about exams and I came across a section about someting called "Professional" exams. :confused:

For the people who have taken the, can you post some more information about the professional exams and your experiences with them. :p I would appreciate responses from students in the other schools as well (UCD UCC).

Members don't see this ad.

Hey Everyone,

I was reading through the student handbook and was reading the section about exams and I came across a section about someting called "Professional" exams. :confused:

For the people who have taken the, can you post some more information about the professional exams and your experiences with them. :p I would appreciate responses from students in the other schools as well (UCD UCC).

They finished last year 1st Profs were taken after 18mths (5 yr course) and tested anatomy, physiology, pathology, pharmacology and behaioural science.
2nd prof taken 1 yr later, microbiology and pharmacology
Final prof part 1 18mths later psychiatry, obs and gynae, ENT optholmolgy and GP
Final Profs part 2 1yr later med surg and med surg of childhood

They were written, MCQ, practicals and clinicals with p/f p/h and prize orals

Now it's semesterised so 1st and 2nd profs are gone, not sure what's happening with final profs.

Basically they were barrier exams which tested everything you learnt in the subject.

They finished last year 1st Profs were taken after 18mths (5 yr course) and tested anatomy, physiology, pathology, pharmacology and behaioural science.
2nd prof taken 1 yr later, microbiology and pharmacology
Final prof part 1 18mths later psychiatry, obs and gynae, ENT optholmolgy and GP
Final Profs part 2 1yr later med surg and med surg of childhood

They were written, MCQ, practicals and clinicals with p/f p/h and prize orals

Now it's semesterised so 1st and 2nd profs are gone, not sure what's happening with final profs.

Basically they were barrier exams which tested everything you learnt in the subject.

So what will replace the first and second prof exams? And will this affect all the irish med schools?

I hope they dont have harder final exams to make up for the prof exams being gone. :p