Product idea thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Shredder

User
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Photochromic contact lenses. Why aren't they already in existence is the question--there would be a huge market for such a useful item. I'm tired of incessant squinting during walking, driving, and tennis. Let's get this show on the road. Andrew Doan?

Any other ideas to fulfill unmet needs, especially where medicine and healthcare are concerned? med businessmen unite

Members don't see this ad.

how about anti-fungal socks (or are they already around...)?

zhaf86 said:
how about anti-fungal socks (or are they already around...)?
i dont know how that would work--one time only? or you would have to give them some chemical treatment after each washing, or use soap laden with antifungal agents. the ointments and powders available seem all right.

Members don't see this ad :)
Shredder said:
i dont know how that would work--one time only? or you would have to give them some chemical treatment after each washing, or use soap laden with antifungal agents. the ointments and powders available seem all right.

I can't believe that I'm weighing in on this topic, but how about disposable anti-fungal socks...no cream, no powdery mess, no problem!

osucomdustin said:
I can't believe that I'm weighing in on this topic, but how about disposable anti-fungal socks...no cream, no powdery mess, no problem!
i think that would get much too costly compared to the alternatives and might not fly

Shredder, do you really think if anybody had a viable idea they would post it?
If you had one, would you not want to keep the edge and keep it to yourself?

Ideas can be worth a lot... so don't just give them away for free if they are usable.

Shredder said:
i dont know the exact details, but the idea is that ticket pricing seems primitive. how about this--ticket prices increase by the same amount that capacity decreases. 6 dollar starting price that rises to 12 upon selling the last tickets. any thoughts? revolutionary? slogan: "We never sell out"

That won't work if you are the only one doing that. People might come to you as long as you are cheaper but then you don't make any profit. As soon as other theaters are cheaper people will go there or wait to see the movie. Your idea would only work for high publicity releases for the first showing.

As someone who has brought a biotechnology product (biopolymer based soap) and a non-scientific product (illuminated graphics for sporting equipment) out of the laboratory and on their way to market....all i can say is that ideas are 1% of the whole deal.

Every idea you have, chances are some one else has thought of it too...and more than likely they have a much bigger wallet than you. its the execution of the idea that matters. go ahead and share the ideas guys, our society is so greedy and shallow that we all worry that someone is going to "steal" our ideas from us and make millions with them. This happens ONCE IN A LONG WHILE...but it is the thing most people with an idea immediately worry about. It's like they guy living in corn country Iowa (no offence to Iowans) worrying about terrorists flying plans into there house....it will not happen.

Its not the protection of ideas that is the problem, its too many people trying to run with bad ideas that is the problem. The best way to avoid this is bounce your ideas off every smart person you know, then go bounce it off ever not so smart one. Honest, smart people who won’t blow smoke up your ass are some of your best assets as an inventor.

Honestly, unless the idea is very easy to execute (like software) then most likely you are looking a minimum of 50-100,000 dollars to even get the idea to the prototype stage, where it will be taken seriously by real investors. Want a patent your talking another 20,000 to god knows how much...then there is product testing, safety and efficacy, liability insurances .....it goes on...

all i am saying is its very good for smart people to come together and talk about their ideas. that’s how you filter out the real stinkers and find a keeper every once in awhile.

Anyway a few i look forward to getting into once im in med school..

1) virtual doc's (expert software for clinical diagnosing)
2) telepresence medicine (really the only way to save our medical system if you ask me)

3) Fungal wraps for skin problems (all kinds) moss and fungus used to be (think B.C.) the method of treatment for all kinds of wounds. They still today rival some our best treatments for burns, but nobody is even looking in to them as far as my research has shown.

Keep em’ coming,

Bob