"Procedure Mills?"

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Algiatrist

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Current fellow looking for some sage advice from the board:

Just contacted by a recruiter out of SC, they have new clinics opening near my geographic preference. They are chiro owned, and have clinics all over the place in multiple states. Website listed does not talk about the owner AT ALL, nor does it discuss ANY of the doc's that work for them. My spidey-sense is going haywire.

The state I'm interested in moving to has an opioid monitoring program, and it is illegal to dispense controlled Rx's out of a clinic, thus not really a "pill mill".

However, the compensation package advertised is more than I've heard most new fellows getting just starting out. This is likely a "procedure mill", right?

I am ultra-conservative by training, patient > profits. Can procedure mills give docs the boot if they are not stim'ing and RF'ing everything that walks through the door?

Thoughts anyone? Do I turn 180 and start running fast?

Members don't see this ad.

i think you already know the answer to your question

Members don't see this ad :)
I am in SC and I know of at least two DC owned franchises. I would avoid both. The one I am most familiar with goes through new grads frequently and are well known in the community for trying to drain every cent out of patients/insurances whether ethical or not.

Can procedure mills give docs the boot if they are not stim'ing and RF'ing everything that walks through the door?

Yes, and they will. And at a minimum, everyone gets a "series of three" ESIs, probably all within a week or two, followed by bilateral L1 through S1 MBB.

I have never seen a chiro-owned office that employs MDs that is not subjecting every patient to numerous expensive tests every week on top of 5 units of manipulation and 5 units or more of PT every day. Now, some are branching in to procedural pain management, recognizing the profit potential. It's all financial-based medicine.

I'm going to assume that the offer you're speaking of will likely be one where you end up owning the practice after, say, three years or so. Of course, you'll have to buy the practice out. If this is the case, the business model may be a little different than you expect and it's not necessary a procedure mill. However, there are other reasons why you may want to avoid signing with them.

Two of those operations have already been busted in Houston.

Must be the new business model. Have one of these in the area. MD flies in on Friday, does procedures lined up by chiro in his office. Old OEC 9400, old defibrillator, no other resc drugs or equipment that I saw there. MD contracted out of some Florida corp, very shady.

I am also in South Carolina, and have the displeasure of having one of these facilties in my town. Run. Bottom feeders. Dead end job for any fellowship-trained doc looking for opportunity to have a real scope of practice. Get used to writing narcotics for medicaid patients to entrap them for procedures. Sorry to burst your bubble, but it is a bad deal.