Procedural Dermatology

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DW3843

5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Can some of you shed some more light on "procedural dermatology" which is apparently just a confusing term for dermatology focused on its surgical aspects?

Is this a good way to go for a person interested in Surg and Derm? Also, how easy is it to tailor a dermatology practice to focus heavily on doing a lot of surgical procedures?
Also, is it common to do a G Surg prelim or something like that and then go into a surgery-focused residency in Derm?

Members don't see this ad.

bump. this thread died
any comments or advice would be appreciated.

My understanding is that procedural dermatology is a fellowship to be done after a residency in derm (I'm not completely sure about this so don't quote me!)

I was talking to a resident the other day and she said that while it is very interesting and provides for a very comfortable lifestyle, it is also very difficult to get into. After so much hard work, sweat, and tears to get into her derm residency alone, she felt that she couldn't dedicate that kind of energy to it.

But it certainly sounds very intriguing for those who are more interested in the surgical aspects of derm!

Members don't see this ad :)
DW3843 said:
Can some of you shed some more light on "procedural dermatology" which is apparently just a confusing term for dermatology focused on its surgical aspects?

Is this a good way to go for a person interested in Surg and Derm? Also, how easy is it to tailor a dermatology practice to focus heavily on doing a lot of surgical procedures?
Also, is it common to do a G Surg prelim or something like that and then go into a surgery-focused residency in Derm?

- Procedural Dermatology was recently accreditted as a ACGME Fellowship a few years ago.
- This fellowship is basically a "surgical dermatology" fellowship. You get more in depth, hands on education on Moh's surgery, lasers, and other dermatologic surgeries and procedures (eg., cosmetics, etc). You are considered an expert in these procedures after graduating (ie, you can be considered a "Moh's surgeon").
- I believe Procedural Dermatology will eventually replace the Moh's surgery fellowships (which are not accreditted by the ACGME).
- A Derm residency is required to enter this fellowship.
- A Procedural Dermatology Fellowship is typically 12 months

More details on Procedural Dermatology is provided below (cut and past). According to the ACGME, Procedural Dermatology is defined as a subspecialty within dermatology that is concerned with the study, diagnosis, and surgical treatment of diseases of the skin and adjacent mucous membranes, cutaneous appendages, hair, nails, and subcutaneous tissue. Dermatologic surgical procedures are minimally invasive and may be safely performed in outpatient settings without general anesthesia or other intravascular physiologic alteration. An especially important technique is Mohs micrographic surgical excision, which is used for certain cancers of the skin and incorporates training in clinical dermatology and dermatopathology as they apply to dermatologic surgery. In addition, cutaneous reconstruction of surgical defects, sclerotherapy, chemical peel, hair transplantation, dermabrasion, small-volume liposuction, cutaneous soft tissue augmentation with injectable filler material, rhinophyma correction, and laser surgery are important components of these fellowships.

Procedural Dermatology fellowships will be accredited to offer 12 months of education and experience subsequent to the satisfactory completion of an Accreditation Council for Graduate Medical Education (ACGME)-accredited residency in Dermatology, when all residents are required to develop initial competence in dermatologic surgery.

Graduate medical education programs in procedural dermatology must provide an organized, systematic, and progressive educational experience for physicians seeking to acquire advanced competence as a dermatologic surgeon.

Programs must provide organized education in all current aspects of procedural dermatology, including basic science, anatomy, anesthesia, ethics, pre- and post-operative management, surgical technique, wound healing, Mohs micrographic surgery, laboratory technique, interpretation of pathologic specimens related to Mohs micrographic surgery, cutaneous reconstruction of surgical defects, sclerotherapy, chemical peel, hair transplantation, dermabrasion, small-volume liposuction, cutaneous soft tissue augmentation with injectable filler material, rhinophyma correction cutaneous oncology, laser surgery, epidemiology, medicolegal and regulatory issues, quality assurance, and self-assessment.

Thanks! Very informative!

Out of curiousity, what is a Moh's surgeon?

cdql said:
Thanks! Very informative!

Out of curiousity, what is a Moh's surgeon?

Here is an explanation: http://www.emedicine.com/ent/topic29.htm

You have to complete a derm residency and apply for a Moh's fellowship. If I am not mistaken the other alternative is probably to complete a plastic surgery residency and then do a Moh's fellowship.

ahhh...i see

thanks for the info!

just to clarify...it's "Mohs" not "Moh's" surgery. The surgical technique, describing skin excisions with microscopically visualized margins, is named after Dr. Frederick Mohs, the guy who originally came up with this in the 1940's.

ahh...i see...thanks!

never heard of that fellowship before today!

Do you think that there will be sufficient demand in the future for procedural derm in private practice? I could see the numbers working for things like ophth (high cataract incidence) but are there sufficient cases for a derm practice to be heavily procedure-focused?

I'm asking in relation to the op's question on a procedure tailored practice.

I think it should be fine. Derm is still one of the fields that is actually lacking in doctors. And I would surmise that most people who enter derm are already tired from all the work in med school. So there should be plenty of procedures to be performed (and not too many other procedural derm physicians out there)

Just my guess though

just of note, plastic surgeons can not do mohs, as they must be trained in dermatopathology which is obtained through derm residency. However, if a mohs surgeon has to remove a large piece of tissue to get all the tumor out and the closure is beyond the scope of his training, plastics/facial plastics/ENT/oculo-plastics etc... (depending on defect location) may be utilized for a complicated reconstruction (say rebuilding an ear).

there are three routes to do MOHs

society of mohs, more informal, no official fellowship.
college of mohs, formal fellowship
most recently procedural fellowship which is just an ACGME mohs fellowship

i am currently looking at applying to fellowship.

Short at to the point. Nice post, AaronB, but I do agree that you'd probably need to update your sig line.... :)