Probation

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Radresident

Reaction score
hello guys
I am a resident who recently put on probation. They told me that they will report the probation to state medical board and also the future return to good standing. I am so anxious about it that even if I work hard to be at good standing, what will history of orobation will affect on my fellowship and job? Since i was told that pd will need to report it when ever i need to apply for any state liscence or fellowship. I appreciate ur answers in advance.

Members don't see this ad.

hello guys
I am a resident who recently put on probation. They told me that they will report the probation to state medical board and also the future return to good standing. I am so anxious about it that even if I work hard to be at good standing, what will history of orobation will affect on my fellowship and job? Since i was told that pd will need to report it when ever i need to apply for any state liscence or fellowship. I appreciate ur answers in advance.
Why are you on probation and how are you fixing that problem?

The medical ranks are replete with physicians who were on probation as residents. Yes, you will have to answer 'yes' on some licensing and possibly privileging forms, but it will only be a formality, assuming that you fix your perceived deficiencies and return to good standing. That's where your focus should be right now. Take care of that and you'll be fine for fellowships and beyond.

Members don't see this ad :)
Why are you on probation and how are you fixing that problem?
They will evaluate me after 6 months about my academic milestone, it was about poor knowledge and something like start work late, poor attend in conferences... it was not about law problem or these things

The medical ranks are replete with physicians who were on probation as residents. Yes, you will have to answer 'yes' on some licensing and possibly privileging forms, but it will only be a formality, assuming that you fix your perceived deficiencies and return to good standing. That's where your focus should be right now. Take care of that and you'll be fine for fellowships and beyond.
Thanks so even after returning back to good standing, that history of probation remains in my whole life history. Is that right?

They will evaluate me after 6 months about my academic milestone, it was about poor knowledge and something like start work late, poor attend in conferences... it was not about law problem or these things
You have to dot your i’s and cross your t’s. You already have a language barrier which means there may be a cultural barrier too when it comes to reading social cues.

You simply don’t get to be late for things. Ever. Be 15minutes early so you can never be late. If there is a required conference be there unless you literally ordered to not be there by an attending or senior resident and even then you notify the staff of your reason for absence and ask for any information that still needs to be studied. All your notes done on time, all your timesheets submitted on time, don’t give anyone any reason to honsetly say you don’t do your job

Thanks so even after returning back to good standing, that history of probation remains in my whole life history. Is that right?

Yeah, formal probation during residency follows you. You'll be required to disclose it during license application and while applying for privileges at most hospitals. If you get back in good standing, then you just explain that on the application and then, ideally, tell them that you graduated on time. I can't speak from first hand experience, but I'm confident that whoever is reviewing your paperwork won't bat an eye. Lots of licensed, practicing physicians have blemishes on their records.

Yeah, formal probation during residency follows you. You'll be required to disclose it during license application and while applying for privileges at most hospitals. If you get back in good standing, then you just explain that on the application and then, ideally, tell them that you graduated on time. I can't speak from first hand experience, but I'm confident that whoever is reviewing your paperwork won't bat an eye. Lots of licensed, practicing physicians have blemishes on their records.
Thank you, inorder to apply for a job, does the employee usually request records from the state medical board?

Thank you, inorder to apply for a job, does the employee usually request records from the state medical board?

No. They just want you to have your (unrestricted) license(s) in order to be privileged and start on time. More importantly in this case, they'll require you to be BE/BC, which you run the risk of not being if you don't get off of probation.

No. They just want you to have your (unrestricted) license(s) in order to be privileged and start on time. More importantly in this case, they'll require you to be BE/BC, which you run the risk of not being if you don't get off of probation.
Thanks,
But if I would be off from probation, it means I will receive non restricted liscence ( if in good standing at the time of apply), and no limitation for Job/fellowship?

Thanks,
But if I would be off from probation, it means I will receive non restricted liscence ( if in good standing at the time of apply), and no limitation for Job/fellowship?

I think this question has been adequately addressed.

If you get back in good standing, then you just explain that on the application and then, ideally, tell them that you graduated on time. I can't speak from first hand experience, but I'm confident that whoever is reviewing your paperwork won't bat an eye. Lots of licensed, practicing physicians have blemishes on their records.

You’ll have to have a written explanation for every license and job you want. Same thing with malpractice claims. Since most of us get sued, eventually you have to check yes on one of those boxes. At the end of the day, if you graduate in good standing it doesn’t matter that much.

One thing you have to be cautious of is becoming far too self aware of what got you there in the first place. You may overcompensate and become mentally constipated because of worrying about being under the magnifying glass. I’ve seen it.

You’ve made it this far in life. Stuff happens. Learn from it and move forward.

Reactions: 1 user