Probation- am I screwed??

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

carrie198

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hmm, when did you complete all your secondaries? If you submitted them all near deadlines, then longer wait before you get interviews is not surprising. However, if you submitted them early, then I'm not so sure if that probation is being taken lightly by adcoms. I can't really comment further since I don't know the specific makeup of your application.

Good luck! :)

tf

You did the right thing about mentioning it. If you took the mature approach and you explained the situation properly then you should have no problems whatsoever.

I actually know plenty of people who so far have no acceptances and very few interviews although they had great scores. Don't panic.

Oh and btw. Don't forget that 1 interview can very well mean 1 acceptance. And thats what matters.

Good luck!

I had one interview, and that's all it took. I am now applying to ER residencies so it all worked out fine!

I agree. You handled the interview in a mature, correct manner. If it comes up again, then handle it the same way. It was the wrong thing to do, but you are older now and have learned from your mistake. We all have something we have done that we aren't proud about or happy with ourselves.

Don't assume that is why you haven't heard from the schools. It may be, but there is no point in trying to guess about it at this point in time.

If you get rejections from the schools, then I would suggest you meet with them and sit down and find out why they rejected you. Most schools do this as the cycle slows down. That way you can find out what happened and ask them what you could do to better your chances for next time.

If you find out it was the reason you were rejected I would suggest the following...
Why don't you contact some local high schools and ask them if you can come in and talk with some of the classes to tell them about under-age drinking and what it has cost you. Then you could show the schools you have taken the situation and used it to help others.

I'd hardly expect it to matter unless the people who review your file are from the stone ages. It would be naive of them to think that underage people don't drink in college. You just got caught. I think it's good you put it on you application instead of trying to hide it, but I can't imagine it affecting the decision to interview you!

Good luck!

no. they make question your ability to outrun and decieve authorites ;) but this isn't gonna break a strong app.

Yeah, I agree with the others. You should be fine as long as you offered a mature and reasonable explanation for the incident. I had a big blemish on my record, too (academic misconduct). It didn't hurt me at all. Hope this helps!