Probably just my anxiety talking, but worried about lack of Interviews so far.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Irish Football

MCAT Rudy Ruettiger
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm starting to get very worried about my lack of interviews so far in the cycle. I've gotten only one as of today (my state-school). I know it's still relatively early, but I was kind of expecting some more II's by now, especially since so many people on SDN have gotten plenty of II's already.

My question is, you can see from my MDapps that with my first MCAT score (29), I applied to a lot of "lower tier" schools. Then, when I got my second score (35), I added some "higher schools." I am worried that with my GPA I won't get into the higher schools, and I was wondering if I may have "over-shot" for the lower schools since 35 is way above their averages. I also worry I didn't apply to enough schools (again, you can look at my MDapps page for the full list).

Can someone offer me some words of encouragement?:(

Members don't see this ad.

You won't get screened out b/c of a 35. I think you gotta be 37+ for that to maybe happen. Also, I don't think schools like Rush have really gotten into the invite game, so I wouldn't worry too much.

I don't think that screening out stuff is true. I have a 77 LizzyM score and interview invites at multiple schools with like a 65 for their average.

Just sit tight, you'll be fine.

Members don't see this ad :)
I don't really have words of encouragement...just wanted to let you know I'm in the same boat except I didn't even get IIs from my state schools yet. Hopefully, everything will work out for both of us! As everyone says, it's still early in the game and we have plenty of time to get acceptances. Good luck! :)

You won't get screened out b/c of a 35. I think you gotta be 37+ for that to maybe happen. Also, I don't think schools like Rush have really gotten into the invite game, so I wouldn't worry too much.

I don't think that screening out stuff is true. I have a 77 LizzyM score and interview invites at multiple schools with like a 65 for their average.

Just sit tight, you'll be fine.

Good to hear, thanks.

I count 9 schools where you have a good chance of an interview. That's usually good enough. It just depends on your risk tolerance if it's adequate for you!

Eh, ideally I'd like more, but the truth is that I'm not someone who wants to be accepted to several schools just to tell people or whatever. I really just want to get into any of like 9 or 10 of these schools so all I need is that one acceptance and I should be happy.

I don't really have words of encouragement...just wanted to let you know I'm in the same boat except I didn't even get IIs from my state schools yet. Hopefully, everything will work out for both of us! As everyone says, it's still early in the game and we have plenty of time to get acceptances. Good luck! :)

Thanks for the support, good luck to you too!!! We just have to stay positive I guess!

I have 0 interviews and 0 rejections. I feel like a person who missed the train at noon.

In my experience, personal and anecdotal, anytime the GPA is below 3.5 you pretty much enter the crap-shoot twilight zone. Since you applied broadly, there is really not much else to do but hope. You are in that grey zone where your GPA is too low to be that competitive for medical schools, but too high to really consider a SMP.

In my experience, personal and anecdotal, anytime the GPA is below 3.5 you pretty much enter the crap-shoot twilight zone. Since you applied broadly, there is really not much else to do but hope. You are in that grey zone where your GPA is too low to be that competitive for medical schools, but too high to really consider a SMP.

Even with my 35 MCAT? And my cGPA is 3.58. Also, did u take into account my upward trend? (~3.9 my last 5 semesters)

Even with my 35 MCAT? And my cGPA is 3.58. Also, did u take into account my upward trend? (~3.9 my last 5 semesters)

All the factors are important subjective boosts I think. But there is still that issue of the GPA. 3.5-3.6 does not scream academic excellence. There are thousands of applicants with a 3.7+/32+. From what I have noticed those are two important barriers to break through. I think you will get an acceptance this year, but I think it will be later in the year, possibly off of a waitlist.

Caveat: Just my opinion. Certainly hope you and I both have an acceptances by Thanksgiving.

Edit: Just checked your MDApps more closely. Your state school is a different story. I think you have an excellent shot there.

Last edited:
All the factors are important subjective boosts I think. But there is still that issue of the GPA. 3.5-3.6 does not scream academic excellence. There are thousands of applicants with a 3.7+/32+. From what I have noticed those are two important barriers to break through. I think you will get an acceptance this year, but I think it will be later in the year, possibly off of a waitlist.

Caveat: Just my opinion. Certainly hope you and I both have an acceptances by Thanksgiving.

Edit: Just checked your MDApps more closely. Your state school is a different story. I think you have an excellent shot there.

Thanks for the post but I don't understand, first you say gpa<3.5 is a crapshoot and then you talk about 3.5-3.6. Also, how is it that a 35 MCAT or a >3.5 gpa are "subjective factors" as you call them? They seem quite objective to me. I mean I agree with some of what you say, but from what I've heard I think you are being a little pessimistic about someone with a 3.5-3.6/35 MCAT and their chances of getting an acceptance earlier in the cycle and not "off a wait list" as you say. Appreciate the input though.

Thanks for the post but I don't understand, first you say gpa<3.5 is a crapshoot and then you talk about 3.5-3.6. Also, how is it that a 35 MCAT or a >3.5 gpa are "subjective factors" as you call them? They seem quite objective to me. I mean I agree with some of what you say, but from what I've heard I think you are being a little pessimistic about someone with a 3.5-3.6/35 MCAT and their chances of getting an acceptance earlier in the cycle and not "off a wait list" as you say. Appreciate the input though.

It has always been my dream to play football for Notre Dame, I mean, to be a doctor. Your stats are golden: hence the state school interview. That 29-35 MCAT jump shows not only that you're intelligent, but that you have the ability to learn and improve. Now, if only Notre Dame had a med school...

It has always been my dream to play football for Notre Dame, I mean, to be a doctor. Your stats are golden: hence the state school interview. That 29-35 MCAT jump shows not only that you're intelligent, but that you have the ability to learn and improve. Now, if only Notre Dame had a med school...

Now that's what I wanted to hear, thanks. And notre dame doesn't have a med school but they are loosely affiliated with Indiana's since IUSM's campus in south bend is on the campus of Notre Dame.

Members don't see this ad :)

You sGPA is 3.48, that is what I was referring to initially. And, like I said before, I hope I am being pessimistic.

You sGPA is 3.48, that is what I was referring to initially. And, like I said before, I hope I am being pessimistic.

Got it. And I would like to think that my 3.48 sGPA is better than a typical 3.48 bc of my significant upward trend in my science classes:

Here is my science GPA upward trend:

First year:

Gen Chem I, II----- B+, B
Calc I, II---------------C, C+

Second year:

Orgo I, II------------ B, B
Orgo Lab------------ B+, A
Linear Algebra----- A-
Calc III----------------B-
Chem Seminar------A

Third year:
Bio I, II, Labs------ A, A, A, A
Biochem, Lab------ A, A
Analytical Chem--- A

Fourth year:

Physics I,II Labs------ A, A, A, A
Physical Chem I,II--- A-, A-

jk8qjusyi5rr6uar25s.png

Last edited:
Calm down, I didn't get my first interview invite until like December. Many schools are just starting to interview.

Dude. You need to calm the tits down. You will never make it through the first WEEK of MS1 if you get flustered this easily.

As for a serious response, yes, awesome, your upward trend it probably another SUBJECTIVE boost. But for the third, and most likely last time, schools have THOUSANDS of applicants that are all very qualified. They are LOOKING for random things to use as a justification to reject someone, whether consciously or subconsciously.

Try taking the Maxim Hot 100 list and picking 15 women. How the hell are you going to cut down 100 hotties to 15? Process of elimination. You will need random attributes as reasons for elimination, such as slightly asymmetrical ears. By the time you are down to 20 girls and picking 5 more to cut, the criteria for elimination reaches an absurdly arbitrary level. This is what medical schools admissions is like. Your 3.48 sGPA (even with your highly publicized upward trend) is your asymmetrical ears.

Dude. You need to calm the tits down. You will never make it through the first WEEK of MS1 if you get flustered this easily.

As for a serious response, yes, awesome, your upward trend it probably another SUBJECTIVE boost. But for the third, and most likely last time, schools have THOUSANDS of applicants that are all very qualified. They are LOOKING for random things to use as a justification to reject someone, whether consciously or subconsciously.

Try taking the Maxim Hot 100 list and picking 15 women. How the hell are you going to cut down 100 hotties to 15? Process of elimination. You will need random attributes as reasons for elimination, such as slightly asymmetrical ears. By the time you are down to 20 girls and picking 5 more to cut, the criteria for elimination reaches an absurdly arbitrary level. This is what medical schools admissions is like. Your 3.48 sGPA (even with your highly publicized upward trend) is your asymmetrical ears.

Dude I appreciate your input, but I don't appreciate your tone. Don't tell me I'll never make it through M1 or about how flustered I get, you don't know anything about me beyond the few facts posted here. My "highly publicized upward trend?" wtf is that supposed to mean? Do you have some kind of problem with me or something? Did I say something on another thread to offend you or something?

Dude I appreciate your input, but I don't appreciate your tone. Don't tell me I'll never make it through M1 or about how flustered I get, you don't know anything about me beyond the few facts posted here. My "highly publicized upward trend?" wtf is that supposed to mean? Do you have some kind of problem with me or something? Did I say something on another thread to offend you or something?

Alright, man. I am not getting roped into this kind of thing. For the third time, good luck this cycle. I hope you get an acceptance (you probably will).

Let's keep discussion civil, guys.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN Mobile

Sorry, I think it's just my frustration with my lack of interview invites that is spilling over into my posting. Sorry MiracleforMD, I'm sure you didn't mean anything by your posts, I apologize for jumping on you.

AHhhhh, I need some interviews already!!!

ihasafunny-calm-down.jpg

If you don't get into medical school, it won't be because of your stats (They are very good... LizzyM score of 69-70 is virtually a shoe-in).

If you don't get into medical school, it won't be because of your stats (They are very good... LizzyM score of 69-70 is virtually a shoe-in).

Thanks for the encouragement, I hope you're right.

Stay off of SDN, or stop going on it so frequently.

I think that your are completely right on this. My other friends who don't use SDN all seem so calm right now. Maybe I should sign off for a while...

I think that your are completely right on this. My other friends who don't use SDN all seem so calm right now. Maybe I should sign off for a while...

I think you will be fine. I am on SDN way too much, and I feel the same way as you. Get outside and stop going on here. I got an interview at San Diego in July and have been hearing crickets ever since. I'm like wtf, why UCSD and no one else. What's wrong with my application? Luckily it's my top pick by far, so it's nice, but I'm paraniod as hell.

All I have is Ohio State so far. W/e all you need is one

This is way too early to be worried. By this time last year, I was still waiting for my committee interview to take place. I wasn't complete at schools until October/November. The waiting game is tough, but you really do have to not think about it. If you wake up every morning thinking "Do I have an II in my inbox?!?!" or randomly during the day check all your status pages at each school's website to see if you received an II without yet receiving an email, you're gonna drive yourself crazy. If you feel you should apply to more schools, by the way, it's definitely not too late to add them. Also, it's not possible to be rejected from a school just because your MCAT is much higher than their average. That's an SDN myth. Virtually every school in the country has superstars (3.9+/40+) from what I've heard.

Best of luck.

This is way too early to be worried. By this time last year, I was still waiting for my committee interview to take place. I wasn't complete at schools until October/November. The waiting game is tough, but you really do have to not think about it. If you wake up every morning thinking "Do I have an II in my inbox?!?!" or randomly during the day check all your status pages at each school's website to see if you received an II without yet receiving an email, you're gonna drive yourself crazy. If you feel you should apply to more schools, by the way, it's definitely not too late to add them. Also, it's not possible to be rejected from a school just because your MCAT is much higher than their average. That's an SDN myth. Virtually every school in the country has superstars (3.9+/40+) from what I've heard.

Best of luck.

This is the first time I have heard of the -1 for school average and +1 fory your score with the LizzyM. What is the reasonsing behind that?

This is the first time I have heard of the -1 for school average and +1 fory your score with the LizzyM. What is the reasonsing behind that?

That's just the way LizzyM made her system. I guess the reasoning is that you don't have to be right at the school's average stats to be competitive. A 33 MCAT for example is still very much competitive at a school with an average of 35. If you search around, you might find a more accurate explanation for why the LizzyM scores are calculated that way. At best, however, the scores are only meant to give a rough estimate for where you might be competitive when deciding where to apply. They shouldn't be read into too much.

That's just the way LizzyM made her system. I guess the reasoning is that you don't have to be right at the school's average stats to be competitive. A 33 MCAT for example is still very much competitive at a school with an average of 35. If you search around, you might find a more accurate explanation for why the LizzyM scores are calculated that way. At best, however, the scores are only meant to give a rough estimate for where you might be competitive when deciding where to apply. They shouldn't be read into too much.

Originally, I suggested going -1 on the schools' LizzyM scores because you do have a chance if you are in the ball park but a little bit on the low side.

Over the past year I've seen this become more of a numbers game and getting interviews is much more difficult In fact, I think I suggested last cycle to forget the -1 for the school and do a +1 instead (go with schools where you are just a little bit above average).

Sorry, I think it's just my frustration with my lack of interview invites that is spilling over into my posting. Sorry MiracleforMD, I'm sure you didn't mean anything by your posts, I apologize for jumping on you.

AHhhhh, I need some interviews already!!!

No worries man. I am glad others are trying to help you realize you need to take a deep breath. Worrying has never made anything better. And trust me, I know how you feel. This is round 2 of medical school application season and I have 0 interviews thus far.

Keep in mind that prereq grades matter. In other words if you were a 3.0 in prereqs then a 3.9 in a bunch of bs filler classes as an upper classman you aren't showing them much. Idk what your specific situation is though.

Sent from my SGH-T999 using SDN Mobile

My GPA (c 3.55 s 3.53 with upward trend to 3.751 over last three years) and MCAT (30) is lower than yours and I've gotten invites. So that probably means they're still just going over apps and pulling out the ones they want to interview. It is still super early in the cycle. You'll get a bunch of interviews and a lot of acceptances. Just have some patience.

My GPA (c 3.55 s 3.53 with upward trend to 3.751 over last three years) and MCAT (30) is lower than yours and I've gotten invites. So that probably means they're still just going over apps and pulling out the ones they want to interview. It is still super early in the cycle. You'll get a bunch of interviews and a lot of acceptances. Just have some patience.

Are you joking? You are a URM...

What is this Lizzy M score everyone speaks of and where can I read up on it?

No worries man. I am glad others are trying to help you realize you need to take a deep breath. Worrying has never made anything better. And trust me, I know how you feel. This is round 2 of medical school application season and I have 0 interviews thus far.

Yeah, sorry again for jumping on you before. I hope you get some II's soon!

Keep in mind that prereq grades matter. In other words if you were a 3.0 in prereqs then a 3.9 in a bunch of bs filler classes as an upper classman you aren't showing them much. Idk what your specific situation is though.

Sent from my SGH-T999 using SDN Mobile

So I'd say I was ~3.5 for my pre-reqs and like 3.9 in my upper level "BS" classes like Physical Chemistry and Biochem. The only classes that lowered my sGPA to what it is were Calc I,II and III my first 3 semesters (C, C+, and B-).

I hope you're right! Congrats on your invites!

Are you joking? You are a URM...

Haha, if I was URM I'd be a LOT more calm right now.

you don't have to be an ass about it

I wasn't being an ass. If you are going to flout your URM status at least be aware of how much an advantage it is in terms of admissions. His MCAT is 5 points higher than yours, but you probably have a statistically better chance at being accepted than he does. Your circumstances are vastly different.

Irish, did your advisor give you a sense of how well you'd do overall and basically the timing? Did your advisor suggest these med schools? I'm really, really not all that familiar with each particular school, but I'm trying. It seems you have a bunch of schools that are big reaches for many applicants (i.e. Columbia, UChicago, Northwestern) and I thought Yeshiva was a big research school. I have seen most students send out what seems to be a crazy number of applications, like 18-25, while you sent out 14. What happened? For instance, why not send one to Drexel or GW?

OTOH, you have had one interview, which is great and there may be many more coming later this month or next. It's a stressful process, especially since it doesn't really end until ALL the seats are filled, which could be next June.

Besides the one feature you described of yourself, (strong upperward trend in gpa), how else sets you apart? Do you have an unique EC? volunteer experience? Research? How did your college process: did you take the SAT/ACT twice? strong upward gpa trend? get into most schools you applied? Get added merit-based scholarships? I have no clue if these factors repeat themselves in this med school process, but I have an inkling they do. If nothing else, I'm betting there is a correlation between how your common app essay was perceived and how med school essay is perceived.

MiracleforMD, I agree with what you wrote about statistics of getting in for URM is quite different for ORM, but cm09 was not flouting anything. Maybe you meant she was flaunting her status, which she wasn't. I think cm09 was being genuinely empathetic, which is exactly what is needed during this stressful time of waiting.

Irish, did your advisor give you a sense of how well you'd do overall and basically the timing? Did your advisor suggest these med schools? I'm really, really not all that familiar with each particular school, but I'm trying. It seems you have a bunch of schools that are big reaches for many applicants (i.e. Columbia, UChicago, Northwestern) and I thought Yeshiva was a big research school. I have seen most students send out what seems to be a crazy number of applications, like 18-25, while you sent out 14. What happened? For instance, why not send one to Drexel or GW?

Well, I only consider 3 or 4 of the schools on my lists "reach schools." UChicago, Northwestern, Columbia, and maybe Mount Sinai, as you mentioned.

The reason I only applied to 14 med schools is really twofold. First reason is $$$. I literally could not afford any more schools, my credit card has taken a huge hit as it is. The second reason is that I am really banking on getting into my state-school (Indiana) and I decided, why apply to so many lower-tier schools all over the country if I would never go to these schools over Indiana U. It's a bit risky I know, but I hope it works out.

The truth is that I'm not banking so much on getting into IU as much as I am banking on getting in to a school in the mid-west, I really want to stay in the mid-west for medical school, and if I can get any acceptance into Indiana or any Chicago school for example, then I would take it and not even consider going out east or west. Also, I applied to a lot of lower tier schools after my first MCAT (29) and then when I got my 35 I couldn't afford to add many more mid to upper-tier schools, and I felt that I didn't need to have schools like Drexel, etc.., schools that I didn't really want to go to, on my list anymore.

So bottom line is that it was a combination of risk-tolerance level and money. Also, I know of people that apply to ~15 schools or so, so it's not THAT abnormal. I wish I could've applied to 20+, but let's hope it works out for me. I really just want ANY acceptance, I'm not that kind of guy that needs several acceptances to tell people about.

Besides the one feature you described of yourself, (strong upperward trend in gpa), how else sets you apart? Do you have an unique EC? volunteer experience? Research? How did your college process: did you take the SAT/ACT twice? strong upward gpa trend? get into most schools you applied? Get added merit-based scholarships? I have no clue if these factors repeat themselves in this med school process, but I have an inkling they do. If nothing else, I'm betting there is a correlation between how your common app essay was perceived and how med school essay is perceived.

Here is a "What Are My Chances" thread I started after I received my first MCAT score if you want to check it out and see some of my ECs etc.. (I get my second score later on in the thread!)
http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=910858

MiracleforMD, I agree with what you wrote about statistics of getting in for URM is quite different for ORM, but cm09 was not flouting anything. Maybe you meant she was flaunting her status, which she wasn't. I think cm09 was being genuinely empathetic, which is exactly what is needed during this stressful time of waiting.

Her intentions seemed genuine, but her naivete is frustrating. She said, "I have a 3.5/30 and have several interviews." So naturally I checked her MDApps to get the full picture of stats, timelines, which schools, etc. and one of the first things I see is "URM", which COMPLETELY invalidates her situation when in comparison to Irish's.

Irish,

Okay, see how you went from down in the dumps to top of the world in May? You're probably experiencing that right now. Hang in there. It only takes one.

Miracle, she was looking for what is the same, not what sets them apart. I think more people should do that. Stop trying to create a problem when none existed.

@ MiracleforMD:

See, herein lies my problem with your posts to begin with. Anybody could see that this thread was created by someone looking for some "words of encouragement" (assuming I really do have a decent shot at getting an acceptance of course). Every poster other than you had some encouraging words for me (and I appreciate everyone doing that for me btw). You came on and said something about how with my stats, etc. I am in some "gray zone" and "crapshot." I think it was pretty obvious that this was NOT anything remotely close to what I wanted to hear. True? Maybe (although i still disagree somewhat), but still not what I wanted to hear, especially since at this point there is nothing more I can do this cycle to change my chances. So too cm09 was just offering me some encouragement. False hope because of her URM advantage? Perhaps. But there you come in again telling me, oh, don't listen to her, she has some advantage you don't have? You tell me to calm down, but you keep trying to stress me out. Btw, I hope I'm keeping this "civil.' Nothing personal, just trying to explain why some people (mostly me haha) may have had some problems with some of your posts on this thread.