Probable Reapplicant: application/school list advice

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

windanseacat

Reaction score
No IIs, 13 pre-II Rs so I am getting ready to reapply.

1. sGPA around 3.58 (took 16 units of college calculus in high school and got Bs) cGPA 3.64
2. MCAT is 510 (128,125,127,130). My first MCAT was 504 (124, 129, 124, 127)
3. State of residence is Southern California
4. URM (Filipino)
5. Went to a state school for undergrad, full ride merit scholarship
6. Clinical Volunteer- 160hrs volunteering for student run clinic in Tijuana and UCSD hospital
7. Research- 3000 hrs of basic stem cell research. Multiple posters and presentations. I was published (second author) after primary was submitted
8. Shadowing- 52 hours
9. Non Clinical Volunteering- 304 hrs for Alzheimer's org where I was a companion
10. Paid clinical - 620 hours as hospital screener
. Other- multiple long term leadership positions, University award for leadership. intern for non-profit
Since submitting I have been working as a medical scribe for a medical group that provides affordable care to underserved communities

School List:

CA University of Science and Med
UC Irvine
UCSD
UCSF
Kaiser
Wake Forest
Medical College of Wisconsin
University of Colorado
Drexel
Penn State
Emory
RUSH
Icahn @ Mt. Sinai
Virginia Tech
Tulane
Boston
U of A Phoenix
Mayo Clinic Alix (Phoenix)
Georgetown

Primary submitted Mid July and Secondaries completed end of July through mid-Sept. Any feedback is appreciated!

Members don't see this ad.

Half the schools you applied to were unrealistic with your stats. I suggest these schools when you reapply:
TCU-UNT
NOVA MD
Creighton
Loyola
Medical College Wisconsin
Oakland Beaumont
Wayne State
George Washington
Drexel
Temple
Jefferson
Penn State
Seton Hall
New York Medical College
Albany
Vermont
Quinnipiac
California University
Loma Linda (if you fit their mission)
UC Irvine
UC Davis
You should also apply broadly to DO schools and I suggest these:
WESTERN
TUCOM-CA
TUNCOM
AZCOM
UIWSOM
ATSU-KCOM
KCU-COM
DMU-COM
MU-COM
CUSOM
PCOM
NYITCOM
Touro-NY

Reactions: 1 user
Half the schools you applied to were unrealistic with your stats. I suggest these schools when you reapply:
TCU-UNT
NOVA MD
Creighton
Loyola
Medical College Wisconsin
Oakland Beaumont
Wayne State
George Washington
Drexel
Temple
Jefferson
Penn State
Seton Hall
New York Medical College
Albany
Vermont
Quinnipiac
California University
Loma Linda (if you fit their mission)
UC Irvine
UC Davis
You should also apply broadly to DO schools and I suggest these:
WESTERN
TUCOM-CA
TUNCOM
AZCOM
UIWSOM
ATSU-KCOM
KCU-COM
DMU-COM
MU-COM
CUSOM
PCOM
NYITCOM
Touro-NY
Thank you!

Members don't see this ad :)
are you sure filipino is URM? I think it is categorized as ORM, almost positive. regardless, with a publication and that leadership award, you have absolutely nothing to worry about .just make sure there are no red flags in your application, and that it sounds honest, and that your letters are decent. it's your school list that is the problem. too many reach schools. try U Illinois, Western Michigan ,UMiami, NSU, etc with some reaches. you're gonna kill it. and no need to apply DO if you're set on MD IMO.

Reactions: 1 user
are you sure filipino is URM? I think it is categorized as ORM, almost positive. regardless, with a publication and that leadership award, you have absolutely nothing to worry about .just make sure there are no red flags in your application, and that it sounds honest, and that your letters are decent. it's your school list that is the problem. too many reach schools. try U Illinois, Western Michigan ,UMiami, NSU, etc with some reaches. you're gonna kill it. and no need to apply DO if you're set on MD IMO.
Not sure if filipino is URM or ORM! But thank you I thought I applied broadly but I think I was definetly naive on some of those schools. Thank you for your feedback!!

How can I gauge what is a reach/target/safety? median MCAT score? and by how many points do people usually do