PRN inpatient coverage

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

J ROD

Watch my TAN walk!!
Lifetime Donor
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Looking for a side job for inpatient after moving to outpatient. Found a hospital that will pay $3600 flat rate coverage Friday 5PM to Monday 7AM. Will split about 20-25 patients on weekends. No discharges. EPIC. If you get called in $200 for going in and $125 per hour dealing it. Supposedly this is rare. Would have to travel about 3 hours to get there but they will pay for hotel. Location Southeast. Did mention might have to see couple in ED split with midlevel. Not called in for that. Potential for some kind of RVU productions as well. Need to get more clarification on this. Recruiter did not know enough.

Members don't see this ad.

The pay seems reasonable depending on the amount of ED work but adding a 3 hour commute Friday and Monday morning seems awfully rough for lifestyle. If it was local I would be much more interested.

Reactions: 1 user
I do not get these traveling jobs. Traveling like that on any sort of regular basis and being away from home sounds absolutely horrible. The pay is fine if you already lived in the area and the job is in fact how they are describing it.

Members don't see this ad :)
Are you having to round on those 20-25 patients each day or are you just covering any needs that come up?

The drive is really not an issue to me. I have half days on Friday and can come back Sunday and be home by 8 or 9 pm. More is the pay fair is the question I have. Is that the going rate? etc. I thought it would be more around 4-5K.
N=1 but where I did residency the state hospital paid 5k for weekend coverage from Saturday 8am to Monday 8am but you had to physically be on their campus all 48 hours (had separate cottages/apartments where on call docs could stay). Average of 35-40 patients per weekend from what I recall being told.

Reactions: 1 users
The drive is really not an issue to me. I have half days on Friday and can come back Sunday and be home by 8 or 9 pm. More is the pay fair is the question I have. Is that the going rate? etc. I thought it would be more around 4-5K.
how often are you planning to do this during the month?
If you are single and newish post residency its a solid way to save some etra $$ i'm guessing 1-2 wknds a month would be an extra 100k year and you could open a 401k and put a good chunk tax deferred into that.

How can you leave Sunday by 5pm if you might need to go in? I guess if you like driving/podcasts or whatever and live somewhere where this is a regular thing, but the mileage/wear tear on your car and the opportunity cost of those 6 hours for being a human or working you other PT tele job should still count.

How can you leave Sunday by 5pm if you might need to go in? I guess if you like driving/podcasts or whatever and live somewhere where this is a regular thing, but the mileage/wear tear on your car and the opportunity cost of those 6 hours for being a human or working you other PT tele job should still count.

Worth pointing out that having a commute of more than 30 minutes each way emerges as one the biggest work-related factors impacting happiness in the empirical literature.

Reactions: 7 users
Worth pointing out that having a commute of more than 30 minutes each way emerges as one the biggest work-related factors impacting happiness in the empirical literature.
Agreed, data is robust on that. A common finding across different years, countries, and cultures.

Reactions: 2 users

Is that averaged out in a week? I drive 60 min each way 1x a week. Used to be 90 min each way twice a week and that def took a toll a bit.

I've had the following:

$4000/weekend, 17 bed inpatient unit, 100ish bed general hospital consult service (1-2 consults a weekend), ER dispo (3-6 patients a weekend, social worker sees, you just decide and add meds if they're boarding). Friday 5 PM-Monday 8 AM.

$3480/weekend, 18 bed inpatient unit, 200ish bed general hospital consult service (3-5 consults a weekend), ER dispo (6-12 dispos/weekend, seen by social workers, just decisions, meds for boarders). Saturday 8 AM-Monday 8 AM.

$3600/weekend, 28 bed inpatient unit, teaching service with resident seeing 10-12 for notes, no consults, no ER. Saturday 8 AM-Monday 8 AM.

$2000/weekend, 28 bed inpatient unit, teaching service with 1 senior and 1 junior resident. Residents do all notes. No consults, no ER. Saturday 8 AM-Monday 8 AM.

Everyone I know who does weekend coverage gets paid more than any of the amounts above, with a lower census, and less drive.

Everyone I know who does weekend coverage gets paid more than any of the amounts above, with a lower census, and less drive.
Location? I'm in the south and struggled to even find something that pays less for more work as a resident 🥲

Dang these all seem so low but I guess with only 20 patients counting consults that maybe is reasonable. If you self billed you should be able to average out 70-100$ a patient but then you have subtract the breakage. After 15% of loss you probably end up about where most of these offers are. The better jobs would be pure IP no ED or consults since they easily take the most time and just cover more Ip

The main problem I had with weekend coverage was while at the last place I worked at before my own private practice, I'd walk in to inpatient and several of the patients were all on the wrong meds. E.g. psychosis-Citalopram, or malingerer who wants to be in for 2 weeks so the weekday doctor was letting the guy in stay in for weeks.

I've worked for competent institutions where they'd get rid of doctors doing poor practice like this so if I did weekend coverage it was extremely rare to see this type of thing, but at the last place? It was every freaking weekend.

While one could just say "screw it," I'm making money, this could be a liability issue cause your name will now be attached to this patient's case. Further if you try to make any abrupt changes to a case you find bogus, this could stir a lot of political pots in the department.

I remember one day I came in and I discharged 9 patients in 1 day cause all of them were clearly bogus. I was very much ticked off cause as we know discharges are A LOT OF WORK.

I remember while I was at Lindner Center and U of Cincinnati, most of the inpatient doctors would try to be nice, work as a team, and try to do all of their discharges by Friday so the weekend doctor didn't have to handle it, or if there was to be a weekend discharge do everything needed such as the discharge summary minus the last day before discharge, and call me or leave me a message to the effect of "sorry, you'll have to do this discharge but I did pretty much everything. You just have to sign the note and write how they did the last 24 hours." Last place I was at? No. Too many incompetent doctors.

So the issue is not just the money, but also the quality of treatment being provided at the place.

The main problem I had with weekend coverage was while at the last place I worked at before my own private practice, I'd walk in to inpatient and several of the patients were all on the wrong meds. E.g. psychosis-Citalopram, or malingerer who wants to be in for 2 weeks so the weekday doctor was letting the guy in stay in for weeks.

I've worked for competent institutions where they'd get rid of doctors doing poor practice like this so if I did weekend coverage it was extremely rare to see this type of thing, but at the last place? It was every freaking weekend.

While one could just say "screw it," I'm making money, this could be a liability issue cause your name will now be attached to this patient's case. Further if you try to make any abrupt changes to a case you find bogus, this could stir a lot of political pots in the department.

I remember one day I came in and I discharged 9 patients in 1 day cause all of them were clearly bogus. I was very much ticked off cause as we know discharges are A LOT OF WORK.

I remember while I was at Lindner Center and U of Cincinnati, most of the inpatient doctors would try to be nice, work as a team, and try to do all of their discharges by Friday so the weekend doctor didn't have to handle it, or if there was to be a weekend discharge do everything needed such as the discharge summary minus the last day before discharge, and call me or leave me a message to the effect of "sorry, you'll have to do this discharge but I did pretty much everything. You just have to sign the note and write how they did the last 24 hours." Last place I was at? No. Too many incompetent doctors.

So the issue is not just the money, but also the quality of treatment being provided at the place.
That’s for sure valid I guess I care a lot less about those things and I don’t mind stirring the pot at all. If someone’s on some bogus Tx plan I will for sure change and document. Malingering patients as long as they aren’t being awful to staff I don’t mind either if I’m covering if they are mine that’s different. I also don’t mind doing discharges. I love the ability to not have the arguments about “why can’t I dc” and I get to shrug and say talk to someone on Monday. But those issues can really be bothersome so that makes a ton of sense and each hospital has their own issues which you normally can’t know until you’re working.