Private vs. State for undergrad

zeppelinpage4

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I got accepted to SUNY Geneseo and Union College.

Both are fairly good schools within the state that offer strong science programs. Now everybody I have asked has told me Union is better for pre-med.
Since it is a small private school they offer a lot of research and internship opportunities. Also I can work with doctors I know at hospitals close by because it is in an urban environment right from freshman year.
Pre-med advising is also very personal and most students get a ton of attention here.

Geneseo is more "sink or swim" bigger classes, less attention and I have to hunt down professors if I want any hope of doing research or gaining experience outside of class if there is any research available.

Most everybody has told me to go with Union and tell me that it will be held in higher regard just because it's a private college. Is there any truth in that?
I know Geneseo will be much harder as a pre-med and I might not make it but I like the campus/atmosphere a little bit more. Is a state school a bad idea in this case? Or am I fine with not choosing Union?

Finance isn't an issue since both schools cost the same with a generous scholarship from the private institution.

Members don't see this ad.

I got accepted to SUNY Geneseo and Union College.

Both are fairly good schools within the state that offer strong science programs. Now everybody I have asked has told me Union is better for pre-med.
Since it is a small private school they offer a lot of research and internship opportunities. Also I can work with doctors I know at hospitals close by because it is in an urban environment right from freshman year.
Pre-med advising is also very personal and most students get a ton of attention here.

Geneseo is more "sink or swim" bigger classes, less attention and I have to hunt down professors if I want any hope of doing research or gaining experience outside of class if there is any research available.

Most everybody has told me to go with Union and tell me that it will be held in higher regard just because it's a private college. Is there any truth in that?
I know Geneseo will be much harder as a pre-med and I might not make it but I like the campus/atmosphere a little bit more. Is a state school a bad idea in this case? Or am I fine with not choosing Union?

Finance isn't an issue since both schools cost the same with a generous scholarship from the private institution.

.......no, not at all. Some of the best schools in the country are public. No one cares if its public, private, state, out of state....whatever. There will be resarch opportunities no matter where you go. If you are interested in doing something you will find ways to do it. People told me that b/c i was going to a small private liberal arts college i would have less opportunities to do research and other things....ive done resaerch every year and had more opportunities than i knew what to do with. Just go where you feel comfortable. You will know which decision is best. Both will get you a degree, it really doesnt matter which one you choose as long as you when you get there you put in work and get stuff done in and outside of the classroom. Try not to listen to the hype, most people speak out of their ass w/o any actually knowledge to bakc up what they say.