Private Practice VS Academic Job Opportunities

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DigableCat

Lifetime Donor
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Other than the obvious money quotient, what are the pros/cons of being in an academic practice(university based) vs a private practice position?

Members don't see this ad.

Academics: PRO: more time to contemplate, plan, and execute studies in pain; the presence of an essentially free IRB, interaction with students and residents spurring further advancement in the field, may have more time scheduled off, publication is expected therefore spurring research. CONS: politics within the departments and outside of the department and $$$, constraints on your practice are internal, inability to select your own patients or style of practice.

Any opinions on private practice within an academic institution?

This is a common theme among departments at the university hospital I'm at, including the Anesthesia pain department.

Members don't see this ad :)
Why would you want to do that? The university continues to collect a deans tax, control the billing office, etc...
Why not become an adjunct professor and be in private practice?

How do you become an adjunct professor? How do you negotiate to be one?

Call the office of the department chair....usually it involves a lecture or two...
Except for Stoelting, most department chairs enjoy having such faculty with a tilt towards the real world

You're not painting a very inviting picture of academic medicine. Surely there has to be more pros...I mean, why would people do it, despite the significant decrease in salary potential? I mean, it can't all be about ego, research or resident/medical student teaching...Because I've seen people not really into any of those things in academia.

algosdoc said:
Why would you want to do that? The university continues to collect a deans tax, control the billing office, etc...
Why not become an adjunct professor and be in private practice?

I figured there must be some major advantage to it (private practice within the university hospital), seeing as almost every major department at my home institution does it i.e. (Neurosurg, Ortho, IM, Anesthesia pain). I don't know, building a rep maybe?