Private Practice Shifts from Home

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MouseChair

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Is it common for private practice radiologists to work from home PRN? Not Telerad gigs but maybe do 1 day a week from a home workstation?

How about call? Evening swing shifts from home possible? Or do you have to be on site for contrast coverage?

Members don't see this ad.

Generally, doing a few shifts from home is very common in private practice (and now in academics as well).

Evening/weekend call is possible assuming you have ER or another provider group covering contrast reactions.

I have a home station, occasionally I have an assigned shift from home. Usually if I read from home it’s for extra shifts or after hours VIP/athlete exams.

Members don't see this ad :)
We do our weekends from home, minus the occasional procedure. We also almost always finish our late shifts from home, assuming there's enough of a break in the action to get there.

Just to clarify one thing.

Usually the shifts are very busy. Even if you work from home, you are busy and involved most of the time. It is not like that you are sitting with you girlfriend on the couch watching Netflix and then work 10 minutes every one hour. No. You will usually work 45-50 minutes every hour.

Reactions: 1 user
Just to clarify one thing.

Usually the shifts are very busy. Even if you work from home, you are busy and involved most of the time. It is not like that you are sitting with you girlfriend on the couch watching Netflix and then work 10 minutes every one hour. No. You will usually work 45-50 minutes every hour.
This is highly variable. When I work from home, it's about 1-2 CTs and maybe 1 US per hour (so, less than 15 min/hour working). Plain films don't require reads, but you can if you want.

This is highly variable. When I work from home, it's about 1-2 CTs and maybe 1 US per hour (so, less than 15 min/hour working). Plain films don't require reads, but you can if you want.

I will never take a job that has that kind of volume because the pay does not justify the time that I spend. If I work, I want to read average to high volumes.
YMMV.

The daytime is busy. But I prefer lighter nights if I have to do them. I can eat dinner, watch tv, etc.

What’s the $/RVU on a gig like this?

I don't know the exact $/RVU, but it's like $30-40. I make around $140/hr on avg when working from home. It's not a life-changing amount of money for sure, but it can help decompress the next day, which is why I do it.

I don't know the exact $/RVU, but it's like $30-40. I make around $140/hr on avg when working from home. It's not a life-changing amount of money for sure, but it can help decompress the next day, which is why I do it.

That is one of the lowest pays/hour for a physician. A lot of NPs are making more than that these days.

Reactions: 1 user
It's only about 15 minutes of actual work per hour so...I don't know any NPs making that for 15 minutes of work. The rest of the 45 minutes I'm surfing the internet, watching a movie, eating, etc.

Reactions: 1 users