Private Practice Management Question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

CaliCatheter

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey all!

How does your group compensate or allocate time for members to attend hospital committee meetings?

Thank you in advance...

Members don't see this ad.

I have no clue. But in regards to your name, I must know what a "cali" catheter is.

In NY, they refer to a condom catheter was a "Texas Catheter".

Hey all!

How does your group compensate or allocate time for members to attend hospital committee meetings?

Thank you in advance...

I used to attend lots of these meetings...hated them.

There was no additional compensation.

You do it for "the good of the group" as we were in a PP situation.

Some docs who went to these meetings thought it was great because you got to dodge your clinical duties during the meeting.

Clinical coverage would be provided for you during that time (meaning someone watches or takes over your rooms)

Some would milk it and take their time going to and coming back from the meetings to avoid clinical duties.

However very often the meetings kept me in the hospital when I would otherwise be on my way home. The "honor" of representing the group wears off quick ...

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Ive never been to any of those meetings. I imagine you are around the table with a bunch of clipboard nurses, a doctor suit MBA, and a yellow page thick book of regulations. All of the clipboard nurses are committed to mis-understanding you along with the doctor mba. It MUST be torture. I would not do well in those scenarios and quickly be asked not to go to those.

Reactions: 1 user
In a PP setting it is very important to have a representative at most committee meetings, so we know in advance when they are and have someone else stay later than they would to get that person out of their room. We are not productivity based however.

No compensation. It’s actually better now because they are all held virtually so I can usually do something else with my phone on mute at the meeting and chime in when appropriate.

• Haha
Go to the meetings. If you are not at the table you are on the menu.
This ^^^

If you don't understand the importance of participating in hospital committees / governance / medical staff / P&T etc., well.....

This ^^^

If you don't understand the importance of participating in hospital committees / governance / medical staff / P&T etc., well.....
True...but...it is all about having the right people go to the meetings.
Some people use the meetings to dump clinical work. Some people leverage their relationship with administration that these committees provide to leverage for their personal benefit, not the benefit of the group.

So again, go to the meetings.

I do. Have been for years. But there times in my career I would rather that nobody went than the men who attended and were supposedly speaking for “all of us”.

My group gives a stipend to attend hospital and group committee meetings. It’s slightly higher per hour than an average hour in the OR. The money comes out of the “pool”.

There is a small stipend for our internal executive committee made up of a few partners that help manage the daily/weekly activity. They're appointed to 2-4 year terms by the full board of partners. Probably like 20k for the year for two meetings per month (plus any additional meetings they schedule for business)... So not worth it from a strictly money standpoint.

Many of the other partners are on other committees at the asc and hospital. Therefore we have a pulse on the entire organization and hospitals. These are not compensated.