Private Pilot... Good Extracurricular?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Sags2riches

2+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello,

So yeah I know it sounds weird but I am currently working towards obtaining my private pilot's license. Flying has always been something I have enjoyed and I am finally learning how to do it myself! That being said I would not want to be a commercial pilot. I have been mulling over what this would look like to Dental Adcoms. I feel like I could justify it as a skill that takes a great deal of discipline, similar to the demanding work needed to become a Dentist. I also have been thinking about the idea of being able to utilize that ability to fly out to rural areas and provide Dental care to places that would otherwise not be close to a Dentist. Either way it is something I am passionate about. I just want to know if it will give me a one up in the Dental Admissions process if I can reason it in a way that will connect back to my Dental goals.

Any thoughts?

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
That's a great hobby for you to have & certainly unique, but there's no need to tie it back to dentistry. If it's something that you enjoy, just talk about what aspects you like about it etc.

Reactions: 3 users
That's awesome. If you can tie it back to dentistry, that's great. If not, it's still a cool hobby requiring valuable skills worth noting. I might mention that both flying and dentistry require a technical and problem-solving skills, as well as focus and some level of dexterity/coordination. In my interview, I actually mentioned that I do Krav Maga as a hobby/way to de-stress. I didn't directly tie it to dentistry (I will hopefully never need to groin-kick a patient!), but even then my interviewer definitely seemed interested/impressed. It's something that I believe made me stand out as a unique applicant, & I feel that flying would do the same for you.

Members don't see this ad :)
I might mention that both flying and dentistry require a technical and problem-solving skills, as well as focus and some level of dexterity/coordination.

Wow haha. I did not think of that but all those components are used directly in dentistry. Thanks for that idea!

Yeah and I definitely want to do something that sets me apart from other applicants. I think if anything it shows passion and the ability to be well rounded.

Woah! That is ridiculous. I had no clue flying was so common for Dentists!

I personally know two pilot dentists. Makes sense! Technical mind + free time + money for an expensive hobby. I think it's important to have interests outside of dentistry to maintain a balanced life.

Anything you enjoy that makes your application stand out from the rest is a good extracurricular!

Reactions: 1 users
I lol'd at the idea of a dentist who flies to underserved areas. That's Marvel's next superhero.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Reactions: 2 users
I had the head of admissions at the U talk to me for like 5 minutes about being impressed by me building computers, which is way easier than being a pilot. If you're actually in the process of being a pilot (obviously takes years, so if you just started and are barely dabbling in it, maybe not) then that would be awesome. Super set you apart.

I had the head of admissions at the U talk to me for like 5 minutes about being impressed by me building computers, which is way easier than being a pilot. If you're actually in the process of being a pilot (obviously takes years, so if you just started and are barely dabbling in it, maybe not) then that would be awesome. Super set you apart.

I started in May. I am going to solo soon. Hopefully I will get my license before the semester ends!

Computer building is really cool, btw. Who wants to pay all that for a MacBook when you can build one yourself ;)

Haha thank you thank you. You heard it here first, folks!

On a more serious note, don't bother tying it back to dentistry, even if it's something you're serious about. It just doesn't sound genuine.

Literally every interviewee wants to be a dentist; the interview is to see if you are something more than that. Piloting is awesome in its own right and there's no need for a superhero complex ; )

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Reactions: 3 users
That's a great hobby for you to have & certainly unique, but there's no need to tie it back to dentistry. If it's something that you enjoy, just talk about what aspects you like about it etc.
exactly! if your sole reason to do something is impress dental schools ADCOM's. then don't do it....they need people who have passion for all things that they do.
Adcoms will really question your passion and they are trained in finding out if you did something out of passion or to pad your resume.