Prioritizing clinical vs. non-clinical volunteering

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Iris257

Reaction score
I currently work full-time in a clinical research setting. Depending on the project, my interactions with patients generally include consenting for studies and sitting in on research interviews.

As I work full-time, and will also be studying for the MCAT, my time for volunteering is limited. I recently moved and am in the process of registering to volunteer 2-3 hours per week phone banking for a cause I am passionate about, and had been involved in prior to my move. Depending on when I am able to start, this will result in 70-100 hours of non-clinical volunteering by the time I apply in June 2019.

I am wondering the best way to devote the remainder of my time. Technically, my job gives me 0 clinical volunteer hours, as it's a paid position. It's also not as hands-on as other things I would do if I had the time (i.e. hospice volunteer, EMT, etc.).

The only evening/night volunteering I could think of was trying to find a night shift once a week at an ED. This would be interesting, but I'm wondering if it's worth it as it takes time away from other areas of my application. I also still need to schedule in shadowing hours.

Any thoughts or words of advice are welcome! Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

I currently work full-time in a clinical research setting. Depending on the project, my interactions with patients generally include consenting for studies and sitting in on research interviews.

As I work full-time, and will also be studying for the MCAT, my time for volunteering is limited. I recently moved and am in the process of registering to volunteer 2-3 hours per week phone banking for a cause I am passionate about, and had been involved in prior to my move. Depending on when I am able to start, this will result in 70-100 hours of non-clinical volunteering by the time I apply in June 2019.

I am wondering the best way to devote the remainder of my time. Technically, my job gives me 0 clinical volunteer hours, as it's a paid position. It's also not as hands-on as other things I would do if I had the time (i.e. hospice volunteer, EMT, etc.).

The only evening/night volunteering I could think of was trying to find a night shift once a week at an ED. This would be interesting, but I'm wondering if it's worth it as it takes time away from other areas of my application. I also still need to schedule in shadowing hours.

Any thoughts or words of advice are welcome! Thanks
What is "phone banking?" What is the mission of the organization? How many hours do you have now?

What is "phone banking?" What is the mission of the organization? How many hours do you have now?

Phone banking does sound a bit vague. It will involve working as a hotline volunteer for a local LGBT center. My previous volunteer experience with a different LGBT center, which included administrative work and occasional event work, totals maybe 15-20 hours. I have a few (10?) hours volunteering with a food bank as well.

Members don't see this ad :)
Phone banking does sound a bit vague. It will involve working as a hotline volunteer for a local LGBT center. My previous volunteer experience with a different LGBT center, which included administrative work and occasional event work, totals maybe 15-20 hours. I have a few (10?) hours volunteering with a food bank as well.
Will you be fund raising, offering counseling, or something else with the new opportunity? Will there be a hands-on component at the center or face-time-with-clients opportunities?

Crisis counseling might be viewable as "clinical." Most other roles would be "nonclinical."

Reactions: 1 user
Will you be fund raising, offering counseling, or something else with the new opportunity? Will there be a hands-on component at the center or face-time-with-clients opportunities?

Crisis counseling might be viewable as "clinical." Most other roles would be "nonclinical."

Thanks for your feedback and time. I don't know if it will qualify as counseling exactly -- it's active listening and support for individuals calling in for a variety of reasons (resources, coming out, suicide, self care) and referring them to appropriate resources. The hotline is not face-to-face interaction, only over the phone.

Would you advise cutting down the hours at the hotline -- from every week to every other week -- and picking up a more clearly clinical volunteer position instead? If so, do you have suggestions that would work with a full-time job outside of ED volunteering?

Let's break it down:
You need clinical exposure/.experience which may be paid or unpaid. Clinical experince involves being in close proximity to patinets. Some of your clinical experience should be in the presence of physicians (shadowing, scribing).

You need community service working to help those who cannot help themselves. Direct service to those in need is more valuable than fund-raising or behind the scenes work.

Clinical research is an interesting thing... the involvement of most college grads is not at a very high level (not likely you are writing protocols, analyzing and writing up findings). If you work with the IRB you might get some brownie points but for the most part, it is not considered research. Depending on the subject of the resesarch, this may or may not involve patients and thus it may or may not be considered "clinical".

Have you had other clinical experience? Have you had other volunteer service to those in need (aside from the few hours in the past in LGBT advocacy)?

Thanks for your feedback and time. I don't know if it will qualify as counseling exactly -- it's active listening and support for individuals calling in for a variety of reasons (resources, coming out, suicide, self care) and referring them to appropriate resources. The hotline is not face-to-face interaction, only over the phone.

Would you advise cutting down the hours at the hotline -- from every week to every other week -- and picking up a more clearly clinical volunteer position instead? If so, do you have suggestions that would work with a full-time job outside of ED volunteering?
Since this activity has both clinical and nonclinical components, I think you could successfully spin it as either, depending on what you prefer (I think more adcomms will agree it's predominantly nonclinical). But whichever way you spin it, you need more of the other. Or, alternatively, if you have enough of each subcomponent, you can split the hours and create two entries, one with each tag.

If you decide to let it be nonclinical, consider something different than the place where you do your clinical research if it's in the ED: volunteer EMT, skilled-level nursing home, or hospice might all welcome a night shift person/someone available on weekends. Doing each one every other week might work.

Let's break it down:
You need clinical exposure/.experience which may be paid or unpaid. Clinical experince involves being in close proximity to patinets. Some of your clinical experience should be in the presence of physicians (shadowing, scribing).

You need community service working to help those who cannot help themselves. Direct service to those in need is more valuable than fund-raising or behind the scenes work.

Clinical research is an interesting thing... the involvement of most college grads is not at a very high level (not likely you are writing protocols, analyzing and writing up findings). If you work with the IRB you might get some brownie points but for the most part, it is not considered research. Depending on the subject of the resesarch, this may or may not involve patients and thus it may or may not be considered "clinical".

Have you had other clinical experience? Have you had other volunteer service to those in need (aside from the few hours in the past in LGBT advocacy)?

I work actively with the IRB, and help write protocols/consent forms/etc. to the extent that they comply with IRB regulations and are logistically feasible. I have not done any analysis/write up beyond continuing reviews for studies, and that typically involves pulling data and verifying numbers with the PI.

I've volunteered at the odd event here or there, but do not have extensive volunteering experience.

Since this activity has both clinical and nonclinical components, I think you could successfully spin it as either, depending on what you prefer (I think more adcomms will agree it's predominantly nonclinical). But whichever way you spin it, you need more of the other. Or, alternatively, if you have enough of each subcomponent, you can split the hours and create two entries, one with each tag.

If you decide to let it be nonclinical, consider something different than the place where you do your clinical research if it's in the ED: volunteer EMT, skilled-level nursing home, or hospice might all welcome a night shift person/someone available on weekends. Doing each one every other week might work.

This is a fair point! Which is why I am trying to determine if my work experience (and future shadowing) would satisfy clinical/patient exposure from an adcomm perspective.

If I could limit volunteering to once a week, that would be ideal. Non-clinical volunteering opportunities have been easier to find in my area during non-work hours. It would be relatively simple to pick up a shift once a week serving dinner at a food bank, for example, and most places do not have a minimum requirement (whereas the hotline requests at least two shifts per month).

Clinical volunteer opportunities have been more challenging to find. Since I work full-time, I wouldn't be able to complete the training required for a volunteer EMT. The ED volunteering opportunity I have in mind is at a hospital that lists a patient/family liaison position, although I would need to confirm how many evening opportunities are currently available. Hospice care would actually be my preference, but I've called around and the places I've reached typically only offer daytime shifts (as the patient's tend to go to sleep early).

I am trying to determine if my work experience (and future shadowing) would satisfy clinical/patient exposure from an adcomm perspective.
-When you consent people for study participation and sit in on interviews, where are you located? Who does the interview?
-Are you meeting with current patients or with recruited subjects. Is a diagnosis already established, or are you screening a population for certain indicators?
-If you will perform tests will the results be a part of the person's medical record?
-What benefit does a study subject receive from participation?

The answers to these questions help to determine if your work is an active clinical experience of the type adcomms are looking for.

You could look into the volunteer group, "no one dies alone". I would imagine that they have volunteer opportunities late at night.

That's a great idea, I'll look into it. Thank you!

-When you consent people for study participation and sit in on interviews, where are you located? Who does the interview?
-Are you meeting with current patients or with recruited subjects. Is a diagnosis already established, or are you screening a population for certain indicators?
-If you will perform tests will the results be a part of the person's medical record?
-What benefit does a study subject receive from participation?

The answers to these questions help to determine if your work is an active clinical experience of the type adcomms are looking for.

Consenting takes place in the hospital where I work. If an interview (versus just sample collection) takes place is study specific. They are run by the PI, a staff psychologist or another member of the research team. Our participants are current patients who have been diagnosed -- their diagnosis is what makes them eligible for the studies.

Participants are deidentified and results do not end up on their medical records. However, if we happen to discover unusual info (say, genetic info) about the group and/or participant, they can choose to opt in or out of having their PCP notified, as that info would then end up on their medical record via the PCP. For most of the studies, there is not direct benefit to the participants.

Consenting takes place in the hospital where I work. If an interview (versus just sample collection) takes place is study specific. They are run by the PI, a staff psychologist or another member of the research team. Our participants are current patients who have been diagnosed -- their diagnosis is what makes them eligible for the studies.

Participants are deidentified and results do not end up on their medical records. However, if we happen to discover unusual info (say, genetic info) about the group and/or participant, they can choose to opt in or out of having their PCP notified, as that info would then end up on their medical record via the PCP. For most of the studies, there is not direct benefit to the participants.
What percent of your work day are you face-to-face with patients (I realize this will vary from day to day) vs other support tasks for the researchers/interviwers?

I think what you're doing is active clinical patient interaction, but I also think most adcomms would want you to have a broader experience of sick and/or injured folks than what this (what sounds like very-focused) research experience will provide (correct me if I'm wrong). Volunteering in the ED, as you've suggested, would cover that expectation.

What percent of your work day are you face-to-face with patients (I realize this will vary from day to day) vs other support tasks for the researchers/interviwers?

I think what you're doing is active clinical patient interaction, but I also think most adcomms would want you to have a broader experience of sick and/or injured folks than what this (what sounds like very-focused) research experience will provide (correct me if I'm wrong). Volunteering in the ED, as you've suggested, would cover that expectation.

It varies depending on the stage of the studies. Interviews take place once or twice a week -- I'll also add that while I help facilitate the interviews (consent the participants, set up and make sure the interview process runs smoothly), this feels similar to what I imagine shadowing is like. I consent participants almost daily for other studies that include a lot of sample/specimen collection.

I agree, this is very focused research experience with clinical interaction. It's been helpful discussing it on here and getting feedback and different perspectives. I'll keep looking into finding another active clinical volunteer position.

Final question -- all things considered, how many clinical/non-clinical volunteer hours would you recommend aiming for? I'm trying to determine the best way to allocate my time. If I volunteer once a week for 2-4 hours a week, I'll have about 50-100 hours total on my application. Would a 50/50 split work, or would it be better to prioritize clinical hours? Should I find a way to volunteer more than 4 hours a week? I'd like to establish myself in a meaningful volunteer position, so figuring things out beforehand would be helpful.

Rather than thinking about hours, which is a a box checking exercise, think about what you need to prove.

You need to prove that you know what a career in medicine is about and that you have the stomach for that kind of work.

You need to prove that you like to help people (if that is one of your motivations for a career in medicine). Doing what you are capable of doing to help people who are unable to help themselves due to poverty, youth, old age, or disability is a way to show that you are willing to spend your own time to help people.

Based on those two needs, figure out what you are going to do to prove your points.

Reactions: 1 user
Final question -- all things considered, how many clinical/non-clinical volunteer hours would you recommend aiming for? I'm trying to determine the best way to allocate my time. If I volunteer once a week for 2-4 hours a week, I'll have about 50-100 hours total on my application. Would a 50/50 split work, or would it be better to prioritize clinical hours? Should I find a way to volunteer more than 4 hours a week? I'd like to establish myself in a meaningful volunteer position, so figuring things out beforehand would be helpful.
I think that a 50/50 split is reasonable, considering the limited time you have at your disposal, but I suggest you aim at the high end of the range you provided.

Rather than thinking about hours, which is a a box checking exercise, think about what you need to prove.

You need to prove that you know what a career in medicine is about and that you have the stomach for that kind of work.

You need to prove that you like to help people (if that is one of your motivations for a career in medicine). Doing what you are capable of doing to help people who are unable to help themselves due to poverty, youth, old age, or disability is a way to show that you are willing to spend your own time to help people.

Based on those two needs, figure out what you are going to do to prove your points.

Tracking volunteer hours in general feels like a box checking exercise. This is a good mindset to keep while making these decisions.

What is your PI's specialty? And if it's a physician, might this person be open to your shadowing him/her during other parts of their workday/office hours/hospital rounds, etc? Do you have other shadowing plans to set into play?

I’d prefer not to say the speciality, but I work with a few different PIs in the same department. I haven’t approached them about shadowing but it’s on my list of things to do soon. I could take a personal/sick day for that. I’d also like to find an ED doctor to shadow on a weekend shift, although I’m not sure how naive it is of me to try for that, or how to approach one.

1) I’d prefer not to say the speciality, but I work with a few different PIs in the same department. I haven’t approached them about shadowing but it’s on my list of things to do soon.

2)I’d also like to find an ED doctor to shadow on a weekend shift, although I’m not sure how naive it is of me to try for that, or how to approach one.
1) Ideally, you'll include a primary care doc on your shadowing list. If your PI is not one, they might be able to refer you to a colleague open to a shadower.

2) If you were to volunteer in the ED, you'd meet docs, and after making a connection, ask them. It's harder for a doc to say no to someone they "know."