Principles of Surgery exam

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

fireflyrxn

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
hi guys

i'm looking to write the RCPSC POS exam next year, as i'm doing my residency in the US.

i've got a reasonable idea of what's involved. i have heard that there are question banks available to help prepare? does anyone know about these?

since i'm in ortho, i've all but forgotten 'basic principles' so any/all help would be muchly appreciated

cheers
ffrxn

Members don't see this ad.

I am sitting for the POS examination in April 2008. I do not have any idea of what they are like as I have trained in the States.

#1.When would someone traditionally take the POS? After completion of medical school? After completion of an internship in Surgery? After completion of a surgical residency?

#2. Are there any good review sources for this examination, CD-ROMs, Books, etc.?

Thanks,

Halo Doc

most take it at the end of the second year of residency (after completing part 2 of the MCCQE). Most canadian programs have a course for first and second year residents preparing them for the exam. The exam is tough and encompasses basic surgical principle such as wound healing, hemostasis, immunology, etc. I don't know about any question banks - i didn't have any when i wrote,although i heard rumors that some schools did.

Members don't see this ad :)
Did you ever find out any information regarding the Principles of Surgery Examination?
I am sitting for the exam this April and I need some study material like NOW! What do I do?

any luck finding them? i am a canadian trying to get back from the states. I am taking the POS in a few days. I have heard that there are notes but i have not been successful in findig them.
I would appreciate it if you could share them

Hi
anyone here who passed the canadian pOS this year...?
please reply...help and guidance needed on what to study
thanks

since april, i have not found any useful information.

any help would be appreciated!

fireflyrxn, did you give the canadian POS exam already?
if so, any advice?

Hi

I am wondering why so many US residents are taking POS exam. I am going to start a forum with Q & As soon. Anyone wants to join.

yes i would be interested in joining

Lets discuss on Yahoo messenger or skype. My login for both is caypab. I am on west coast so let me know what time suits you if interested.

For anyone who is thinking of buying this guys notes for $500 why don't you wait another week to see if he actually passed the exam! The exam was last week and the results should be out in another 1-2 weeks or so.

gerickson03m:

thank you very very much for that site!!!!!

not to be greedy, but does anyone know where to get 2007 & 2008 exams?

thanks again!

I found the exam very very theoritical yet pretty easy to pass compared to the British exams. A week's studu with appropriate materials should be pretty good.

gerickson03m,
the brainscoopers website appears to be down. Is there any way you could please e-mail the latest POS exam to me?

hi guys

i'm writing the POS exam next year. any old exams and help what to study or joining a discussion group would be appreciated. I am also looking for the Morrell notes.

cheers

Dingaan

Hi everyone!

I'm writing the POS exam next year in April. Just wanted to know where to study from and where to get hold of these past exam papers. Is there a different weighting on every question in the paper? What is the pass mark? The brainscoopers link given above has expired and I can"t access anything from there. Any help would be much appreciated!

Cheers,

Daktari ya Kuchinja