princeton review teaching

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

tennis23

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi guys,

I'm auditioning to teach Princeton Review tomorrow and need to think of a nonacademic subject to teach for 5-10 minutes. Does anyone have any ideas? Thanks very much - I appreciate the help!:p

Members don't see this ad.

Based on your username, I assume you either play or have an affinity for tennis. Why don't you teach the rules of tennis, or teach the fundamentals of the forehand, backhand, or serving?

I'm a TPR teacher and trainer and I taught how to get out of a crappy date. It doesn't matter what you teach, really, just be relaxed and involve the audience. Good luck!

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks so much - both of you. Holly, how big is the audience I'm auditioning in front of? thanks!

It depends. If you're auditioning at a pre-set time, your audience will be the other people who are auditioning at the same time plus a couple of office people -- probably the course director, the trainer, and some miscellaneous people. This was how my audition was, and there were about 20 people. I've run auditions, though, with a lot fewer -- like 5-10.

If you set up your own audition time, you'll probably just audition in front of a couple of office people.

Oh, don't wear a suit and tie or anything like that. Look, you know, groomed and stuff, but you don't need to really dress up. Have a good time, and you'll do great. Everyone I've ever met at TPR offices is really cool and casual, and I've been working there forever. There's really nothing to worry about.

Hey - thanks again. Does it need to be a how-to teaching? I was thinking of teaching "how the cubs managed to lose the series" (if they do). would that work? by the way, i love your quote.

Yeah, it kind of needs to be a how-to, since it's tough to legitimately interact with your audience if you're doing a straight lecture.

On the other hand, I love the Cubs idea. Just frame it in terms of "How to Lose the Pennant Even When You're the Best Team in the League." Maybe do a list of tips and tricks.

Thanks -- I like my quote, too. :)

Hi,
I want to tutor for either Kaplan or PR. So I have a few questions for you experts:

1) Where do I apply? Is there a form online? I have a chronic fear of people. :)

2) What kinda scores do you need to teach? What kind of time commitment is this? I didn't take one of those classes, so I have no clue.

3) How much do you make?

Hm, I think thats it. Oh, I made a 12V, 12P, 10B, WS: R in August 2003 if that helps.

Best,
Captainjack

I teach at Kaplan, and for my audition, I did a 5 minute presentation on the ins and outs of online dating! I had the class thing of an ad title, talked about what things to write in your profile, and gave safety tips. It went over very well, and I got offered the job! I think keeping it light hearted and fun will make it easier for your audience and for yourself!

Um, CaptainJack, if you have a chronic fear of people, this is really, really, really not the right job for you. You can't just tutor -- you have to actually teach classes.

There is a form on the TPR website, but response to it is mediocre at best; it's best to just call your local office and tell them that you're interested in teaching.

TPR does hyperlearning, which means that you only teach one part of the test -- either physics, general chem, organic, biology, or verbal, so you don't have to be experts in all of them. However, most TPR science teachers have scores well above 35, and are sort of experts in whatever they're teaching. Most offices want you to have a 13-15 in your section, but many will let you take a practice section instead if you're close to that.

After training, the time commitment is usually about 6-10 hours a week, but depends on how much you teach. Training is a little long and intense.

You make good money -- I think our office is starting MCAT at about $20-25/hr, but it varies regionally.

Thanks, Holly. The chronic fear of people was a feeble attempt at a joke. Damn, a 35? I missed it by one point? F#*$@!# A.

At Kaplan, they are more interested in people who are fun and upbeat, at ease in front of a crowd, responsible and at least got an 11 on any of their practice tests. I was nowhere near a 35, I am nowhere near an expert in anything, but I am a great teacher and I have plenty of great feedback from my students and my supervisors. Every situation is unique. Ya just never know.