PRIMARY neurotransmitters of SNS and PNS?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

hokie4life

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Different sources say different things so just want to set it straight:

In pre/post ganglionic neurons of parasympathetic - use acetylcholine
In pre ganglionic neurons of sympathetic - use acetylcholine
In post ganglionic neurons of sympathetic - use adrenaline

so primary neurotransmiter of PNS = acetylcholine, right?
But what's the primary one for SNS since it uses two different ones, when they say primary do they mean "main" or "first"?

Related problem: destroyer bio 125

Members don't see this ad.

i thought it was epinephrine for sym ...i will look up on that and let u know

Yeah, I think destroyer says it's norepi for sympathetic.

Members don't see this ad :)
When you are dealing with questions like these, unless they specifically ask for which nt in the pre-ganglionic of the sympathetic (ACh), it will most likely be NorEpi/Epi. They are just trying to see if you understand that the sympathetic and parasympathetic dually innervate most organs/tissues, and release different chemicals to induce different reactions in the body.

So, i'm guessing primary for SNS is NorEpi/Epi, because it is what produces the excited effect throughout.

To answer the OP's question, the human nervous system can be simplified, for our purposes, down to a two neuron system: one neuron has its cell body in the CNS and its axon extends out into the body where it synapses with another nerve. This second nerve has its cell body in a ganglion, and it is this second nerve that goes out and innervates a muscle spindle, the smooth muscle in an artery, a gland, and so forth. A primary neurotransmitter is the one that is released into the synapse between the first neuron and the second neuron. For both the parasympathetic and sympathetic systems it's acetylcholine. The difference between the sympathetic and parasympathetic is what neurotransmitter is released from the second neruon. The sympathetic nervous system releases epinephrine and/or norepinephrine and the parasympathetic system releases acetylcholine. The exception to this rule is that the sympathetics that innervate the salivary glands release acetylcholine - not adrenergic (e.g. Epi and NorEpi) neurotransmitters. This is why certain drugs that are designed to put the brakes on the parasympathetic nervous system will also dry a patient's mouth (i.e. xerostomia).

Wow THANK YOU for the great responses you guys!!
so basically think acetylcholine for parasympathetic and norephinepherine for sympathetic.

This might be getting to tricky but if they do phrase it as primary I should just think of it to mean "main" and not "initial" is what I feel like we're sayin?
Example: what's the primary neurotransmitter of the sympathetic nervous system.

Well the first one (first referring to preganglionic) is acetylcholine but like we summarized norephinepherine is the main one. So *best* answer is norephinepherine? or is this wording too shady and they would just be clearer and I'm reading into it too much?:oops: