Primary care prior to rheumatology

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

RHEUM2020

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
I did primary care for a few years and now applying for rheumatology. Would this count against me? how should I approach explaining this so it would be in my favor? Thanks for your help.

Members don't see this ad.

I did primary care for a few years and now applying for rheumatology. Would this count against me? how should I approach explaining this so it would be in my favor? Thanks for your help.

Anyone?

That's fine. Be honest why you want to do rheumatology now. The story matters. It's okay to change your mind. I have met several people who are applying to rheum after severe years of working as a hospitalist. Primary care makes just as much sense.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I don't think it will matter much...although if you haven't done anything academic in those last few years, no program will believe you're interested in research now. That only really matters at top rheumatology fellowships, most places expect that you'll want to do PP.

I actually think it will benefit you. Rheumatology is a lot about continuity of care, long term relationships, etc. Own it and be proud; primary care is awesome.

Hi, I am applying th is year after 3 years primary care. What was your experience last year ? Any luck ?