Primary Care: First job salary and compensation (survey?) - NY vs LA - 2023

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

FamilyMedicineMD

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am finishing FM residency this year and will be looking to start my first job as an independently practicing physician soon.
I am looking to settle in the NYC.

I understand NYC is an anomaly in regards to pay (and maybe almost everything else;)...but so is LA:cool:). In regards to physician pay, salary is on the low end, which may be a reflection of supply/demand and competition. Yet, on the other hand, the cost-of-living is high. Average rent in the city for March 2023 was ~ $ 5,100 and median was $ 4,100. That's part of the COST of living in NYC as opposed to some random place in the middle of America. (In LA the cost of living is also high (+ sunshine tax) but I understand the pay may be a better.)

For NYC. Companies are now required to post a salary in order to comply with the city's fair employment practices. Obviously employers are posting a wide range of salaries particularly for physician jobs. I am trying to distinguish what is a fair and equitable BASE salary for a new primary care physician, so those figures at the higher end are irrelevant and in this case maybe misleading. For this reason so are national physician compensation survey reports as they don't usually stratify their numbers based on years of practice or report specifically on New York City (as opposed to the entire State of New York).

This question is for both NYC and Long Island + LA area.
What ranges of base salary have people starting out of residency being offered or are receiving?
How does minimum work hours or number of patients per day reflect into your base salary?
(I posted my offer with a reasonable and general description range to avoid any possible conflicts with confidentiality)

-NYC Health: public city physician positions start at $ 177,000 (+ benefits)
-NY: I received an offer in the 190 - 210K range which is based on 4 day work week at a independent (non-hospital affiliated) group

Members don't see this ad.

You will be paid more in LA, as a general rule. I think UCLA was starting at 250k plus production with an average take home of 350k.

The average large health system PCP job in NYC will pay you 210-230 base plus production (which is important because this can be another 60-90k). As you've noticed, the H+H jobs pay much less.

Patients per hour/day rarely changes your base salary, that’s what production measures. Most jobs will have minimum expected RVUs and you will make more the more you see over that.

You will be paid more in LA, as a general rule. I think UCLA was starting at 250k plus production with an average take home of 350k.

The average large health system PCP job in NYC will pay you 210-230 base plus production (which is important because this can be another 60-90k). As you've noticed, the H+H jobs pay much less.

Patients per hour/day rarely changes your base salary, that’s what production measures. Most jobs will have minimum expected RVUs and you will make more the more you see over that.
I know of one community FM doc in UCLA that clears 500K-600k+ annually. That productivity hustle is real.

Reactions: 1 user