Primary Care Broken: Civilian and Military

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

USAFdoc

exUSAFdoc
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
The below article describes the state of Primary Care in the US.

I am fortunate in that my current civilian Family Doc job is wonderful.

My opinion is that Military Primary Care has turned into one of the WORST primary care positions possible. The USAF string of SGs have consistently made decisons that have incorporated the WORST that primary care has to offer from the civilian world and failed to address the limitations (staffing, experience etc) and collateral duties that a military Family Physcian sees everyday.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20060130/hl_nm/usa_dc

Members don't see this ad.

USAFdoc said:
The below article describes the state of Primary Care in the US.

I am fortunate in that my current civilian Family Doc job is wonderful.

My opinion is that Military Primary Care has turned into one of the WORST primary care positions possible. The USAF string of SGs have consistently made decisons that have incorporated the WORST that primary care has to offer from the civilian world and failed to address the limitations (staffing, experience etc) and collateral duties that a military Family Physcian sees everyday.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20060130/hl_nm/usa_dc

Seems like more than just the military needs to change.

USAFdoc said:
My opinion is that Military Primary Care has turned into one of the WORST primary care positions possible.

What's the name of that journal (US Medicine?) you always quote here. I looked up your last link and there was a recent article written by a X-military famlily physician that said "the grass isn't always greener on the outside".

Members don't see this ad :)
IgD said:
What's the name of that journal (US Medicine?) you always quote here. I looked up your last link and there was a recent article written by a X-military famlily physician that said "the grass isn't always greener on the outside".

Certainly true...some civilian jobs ARE pretty bad....but then...

You quit and move on when ever you want....no waiting for PCS orders....No talking to a detailer who will lie to you about where you can go.

militarymd said:
Certainly true...some civilian jobs ARE pretty bad....but then...

You quit and move on when ever you want....no waiting for PCS orders....No talking to a detailer who will lie to you about where you can go.

That is the driving force difference (loss of freedom).

IgD said:

uniformed family physician;

mil sponsored journal, but if you read between the lines, you see the amount of stress and frustration in primary care.

iatrosB said:
That is the driving force difference (loss of freedom).

and freedom especially becomes the "driving force" when those that are "driving" (admin) are doing such a terrible job that the docs have virtually no choice but to "get outta the car".

I would have little problem with my loss of autonomy if USAF admin provided at least a reasonable platform (it doesn't have to be perfect) in which I could care for patients. Instead they have provided a broken down system; undermanned, lack of quality support staff, lack of support staff, etc....and all the time admin can't seem to make a single decsion not based on $$$$, even though the decisions they make waste more and more $$$ everyday.