Primary App. Help?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

nabilesmail

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
So my MCAT is being released on August 14th and I haven't submitted my primary yet. I just finished my PS a couple of days ago and have been working on my work/activities with the intentions of submitting my application on Thursday.

So far I think my statement is okay/decent but not great/good. The thing is I don't want to be late either. I'm also aiming more towards mid tier/top tier schools (with safeties of course). Should I focus on my statement more and maybe submit it on Monday? Or am I getting way too late.

Another thing is I haven't had my transcripts sent yet (meaning they are not there), I have 7 different college transcripts so I went around town all day sending them priority. I was wondering does the 7 week verification time start from when they receive all transcripts or from when they receive your application. My transcripts should get there by next week as most of them will be sent this week.

How late am I? How will this affect me, I have an okay GPA (3.74 CPGA/SGPA and my average FL for aamc 9,10,11 were 37.33). Should I focus on perfecting my application more, or just edit a bit more and send it in. I will also start prewriting my secondaries come August 14th once I decide exactly which schools will be on my list and which won't (depending on my MCAT)

Members don't see this ad.

At this point you won't be verified until almost the end of August. You need to do everything within your power to get your app done as soon as possible. When should you apply? Yesterday...

Okay, so I'm taking that as submit what I have within the next 2 days rather than try and make it better over the next week. Thanks! any one else? :/ scary situation here

Members don't see this ad :)
You want to get it in as soon as possible, but also keep in mind: If you haven't run your personal statement, at a minimum, by some people who can give meaningful opinions/input/critique - I'd do that. You want a great personal statement. I know that puts you in a tough spot, but don't submit a totally lackluster PS, especially already being late.

You want to get it in as soon as possible, but also keep in mind: If you haven't run your personal statement, at a minimum, by some people who can give meaningful opinions/input/critique - I'd do that. You want a great personal statement. I know that puts you in a tough spot, but don't submit a totally lackluster PS, especially already being late.

Yeah I get you, I'm kind of thrown off on what to do. Edit until monday as much as possible, or edit until this thursday (2 days) and send it in :/

I'm actually in your exact same situation. Editing my PS and activities right now and almost identical gpa and stats. lol

Depends on how good/bad it is now, and how much you think you can actually improve it with 3 extra days. If you can drastically improve your PS, getting verified 3 days later won't make a huge difference.

in your case:
amazing PS but late (Monday) > mediocre and 3 days early > crappy and 3 days late (Monday)

I was wondering does the 7 week verification time start from when they receive all transcripts or from when they receive your application. My transcripts should get there by next week as most of them will be sent this week.

I concur with everyone else about getting it in soon, but don't sweat three days if it's going to make a difference in the quality of your PS. The answer to this part is that verification time starts from the minute you submit and all transcripts are there, not from receipt of transcripts, so you have to finish your PS and all that good stuff first. Only things you don't need are MCAT and LORs.

I'm sorry I meant that I would submit BEFORE my transcripts arrived by a few days - week. So do I have to wait about 7 weeks from my transcript= 8 weeks after my application is submitted? or will the 7 week period start ticking even without my transcripts there

I'm sorry I meant that I would submit BEFORE my transcripts arrived by a few days - week. So do I have to wait about 7 weeks from my transcript= 8 weeks after my application is submitted? or will the 7 week period start ticking even without my transcripts there

don't bother submitting before your transcripts get there..

you aren't put in line to be verified until both your transcripts AND your app is in.

I submitted my app 6/18, transcript arrived 6/22 and was verified along with other 6/22ers.

so send your transcript in and then you will have your extra few days to work on your app. Once your transcript arrives, AAMC will email you and then you should submit your primary.

No sense in submitting prior to your transcript if you aren't ready.

Ahh okay, well that sucks... I have 8 transcripts :/ Do you know how long it normally takes to be mailed? there (transit time). that sucks, that means I'm going to be submitting my primary early august :/ UGH!!!!!

Ahh okay, well that sucks... I have 8 transcripts :/ Do you know how long it normally takes to be mailed? there (transit time). that sucks, that means I'm going to be submitting my primary early august :/ UGH!!!!!

Depends on how fast the school processes transcript requests. One of my schools mailed it out the next day, and the other took 3ish days to mail it out. Once it's sent, it's the same amount of time as regular postal service.

How long is regular postal service :/ ?

Instead of worrying about it, why don't you just send them all out ASAP and then you'll be ready to go ASAP.

no sense in wasting time worrying about it..

I got to my last college today, 8 transcripts haha.

They said they would mail it out in 5 business days... wtf!!!

That means my application won't start the verification process until like August 5th