Previous Matriculation for 2 weeks

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

shawarma-pharma

Reaction score
Hey all, so long story short - I applied to Australian MD schools last year and was accepted. I didn't want to go and wanted to apply DO instead. However, my parents basically forced me into it (whole other story) and I told them that I would go check out the school and if I didn't like it, I would not attend. Anyways, so I went to the school for 2 weeks after the program commenced and my suspicions were correct (low quality education, poor curriculum etc), I decided to leave because I could not see myself completing 4 years there as well as potentially staying and practicing there my whole life. So I withdrew before the withdrawal/drop date, didn't pay any tuition, and only have a blank transcript (no grades or classes on it whatsoever).

Now Im applying to US DO. And I believe there is a question that asks if I have attended another medical school. How do I answer this question in my scenario? Have I screwed myself over?

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
I went to the school for 2 weeks after the program commenced and my suspicions were correct (low quality education, poor curriculum etc),

No one will fault you for the above answer to the prompts about previous matriculations

And really, your parents forced you into it? You an adult now....you're old enough to vote, drink, drive, buy a gun, work, pay taxes, run for office and fight and die for your country.

Thus, you're old enough to tell them "I'm applying to med school, not you, and I'll do things my way". They love you and won't throw you out into the street.

Reactions: 4 users
Hey all, so long story short - I applied to Australian MD schools last year and was accepted. I didn't want to go and wanted to apply DO instead. However, my parents basically forced me into it (whole other story) and I told them that I would go check out the school and if I didn't like it, I would not attend. Anyways, so I went to the school for 2 weeks after the program commenced and my suspicions were correct (low quality education, poor curriculum etc), I decided to leave because I could not see myself completing 4 years there as well as potentially staying and practicing there my whole life. So I withdrew before the withdrawal/drop date, didn't pay any tuition, and only have a blank transcript (no grades or classes on it whatsoever).

Now Im applying to US DO. And I believe there is a question that asks if I have attended another medical school. How do I answer this question in my scenario? Have I screwed myself over?
Something like that might be an attention grabber in a personal statement. "I chose to go to a DO school when I had an opportunity to pursue an MD degree". As Goro states, this shouldn't be a big deal for your DO application, most admissions folks use that to make sure you didn't bust out or get sent packing for professionalism violations.

Something like that might be an attention grabber in a personal statement. "I chose to go to a DO school when I had an opportunity to pursue an MD degree". As Goro states, this shouldn't be a big deal for your DO application, most admissions folks use that to make sure you didn't bust out or get sent packing for professionalism violations.
No because the question would be why didn’t you go DO first before going out of the country. I think it’s fine as an explanation that the school is ****. But it won’t be viewed as an “they’re choosing to be a DO when they had an opportunity for MD”