"Preventative Medicine and Health Maintneance" on NBME

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

libihero

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
on my nbme exams, my weakness always tends to be "preventative health". what does this generally mean, and is there a certain section in first aid for step 2 or step up for step 2 that would help me in this regard?

Members don't see this ad.

on my nbme exams, my weakness always tends to be "preventative health". what does this generally mean, and is there a certain section in first aid for step 2 or step up for step 2 that would help me in this regard?

It's things like vaccine schedules, USPTF recommendations, maybe stuff like ATP III/ Framingham.

MTB 2CK has a really good preventive health section that covers all of these basic recommendations and the associated rationales. It's a pretty short section, and I think it's very high-yield.

Members don't see this ad :)
I took the test today, and had questions where it was important to know screening guidelines for cervical cancer, diabetes, hyperlipidemia, colon cancer, AAA, breast cancer etc.

Just as important is knowing what not to screen for like lung cancer, pancreatic cancer, prostate cancer, ovarian cancer, etc.

Typical question would be "healthy M/F patient age X comes for routine health exam, nothing significant on history or physical, what is next step in management" answer choices being "screening test X, Y, Z, or reassurance"

I recall at least 5 questions along these lines. Very easy points.

FYI- I took my NBME just after finishing my family med rotation, getting honors on shelf, and this was my lowest section.... which really threw me. However, on my actual step 2 it was one of my highest. I think the NBME tests probably just have a low sample size for these questions so if you miss just one or two it really throws your score in that section, so I would worry to much about it.