Pressure/Volume

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

SHS22

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi Everyone,

I'm not sure if this exact question has been posted before, so I'll try it here.

When thinking about the Ideal Gas Law (pv=nrt), pressure and volume are inversely related. But does that hold only for ideal gas laws?

For example, when water is reabsorbed from the filtrate back to the blood, this causes a rise in BOTH blood volume and blood pressure. From the stand-point of the equation above, you wouldn't predict that to happen.

Also, is there a general rule in terms of pressure changes for vasodilation and vasoconstriction? Once again thinking abou the gas law equation, you would think that vasoconstriction would decrease the area in the blood vessel and thus cause a rise in the bloood pressure. Is that correct? And does that relationship always hold? I could swear reading in some part of the body that vasodilation causes a rise in blood pressure -- but I'm not sure where.

Sorry for the long post and thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Edited: I apologize for that.

Hi guys/gals,
After a little google :)) I think this is how vasoconstriction works. Vasocontriction increases the blood pressure because the arterioles constrict to provide resistance and keep pressure off the capillaries. Therefore, the pressure upstream increases due to resistance or the constriction of the arterioles. Equation: Pressure = Flow X Resistance. It's also a way to manipulate blood flow to specific parts of the body.

Last edited:
No, vasoconstriction does not raise the blood pressure, it only increases the blood flow. Surface tension increases the blood pressure.

Are you sure about that? I thought vasoconstriction decreases the radius, which increases resistance to flow, and thus increases blood pressure. (dP = QxR)

Are you sure about that? I thought vasoconstriction decreases the radius, which increases resistance to flow, and thus increases blood pressure. (dP = QxR)
Sorry, I was wrong. I totally apologize for that. You are right, it's the opposite. Thanks for correcting my mistake.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
PV=nRT only involves ideal GASES. I don't think you need to apply PV=nRT to something a complex as a kidney or a circulatory system. Even so, the body is much more more than a simple mixture of ideal gases in a flask: the ideal gas equation is out of scope - the blood pressure questions address liquids. If anything I would apply the fluids equations.

Best of luck!

you need to use the laminar flow equation for the bodys circulatory system. I forget the exact name of it, but its physics.