Presenting research

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DHMO

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
How much does it help your application to give an oral presentation of research at a radiology conference? I may be given the opportunity to present a project that I worked on at this year's RSNA conference. However, the conference will be during my surgery rotation; I know that I will get very nervous about this presentation and it will constantly be on my mind for weeks before it actually happens; and I don't know if I will be able to get my school to pay for my trip out to Chicago.

Would I be crazy to pass up an opportunity like this to improve my application, or is making a presentation not that big of deal (the project should be published anyway, and that seems like it is more impressive than making a presentation at a conference).

Thanks for your opinions.

Members don't see this ad.

DHMO said:
How much does it help your application to give an oral presentation of research at a radiology conference? I may be given the opportunity to present a project that I worked on at this year's RSNA conference. However, the conference will be during my surgery rotation; I know that I will get very nervous about this presentation and it will constantly be on my mind for weeks before it actually happens; and I don't know if I will be able to get my school to pay for my trip out to Chicago.

Would I be crazy to pass up an opportunity like this to improve my application, or is making a presentation not that big of deal (the project should be published anyway, and that seems like it is more impressive than making a presentation at a conference).

Thanks for your opinions.

if you have the opportunity to present at a major conference, you should do it. it will be a lot of fun. plus, you will have the opportunity to meet a lot of chairmen and program directors from around the country which will be helpful when you apply for residency.

I would recommend doing it for the experience, plus you can list it separately from the publication on your cv. IMHO the keys to a good talk are 1) to prepare the powerpoint slides before you start your surgery rotation(!), 2) to practice the talk 8-10x while timing yourself the day before (I hate doing this but it helps immensely) and 3) don't be hungover (it exagerates the natural sympathetic response!). The key to conquering the nerves is to really know the first two slides well - then just concentrate on reading them deliberately, by the time you get 2-3 min into the talk you will be relaxed.

I don't think you will be meeting many chairmens etc as the previous email states - I've given many meeting presentations and you rarely meet people unless your boss or coworkers introduce you to them...BUT, you can talk about your presentation when you interview.

It is a great experience to give a talk at one of these meetings. I agree however that it is not a guarantee that you will meet a lot of people. RSNA is a huge meeting. Go for the experience though, it is very worthwhile (even if it means missing some clinical time).