Prescription Drug Management - Steroid Injections

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Steveington

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
One of the 3 elements of Medical Decision Making is Risk of Complications and/or Morbidity or Mortality of Patient Management. One of the moderate risks is "Prescription Drug Management"

Would you consider a steroid injection falling under this category?

Members don't see this ad.

One of the 3 elements of Medical Decision Making is Risk of Complications and/or Morbidity or Mortality of Patient Management. One of the moderate risks is "Prescription Drug Management"

Would you consider a steroid injection falling under this category?
Has always been a question of mine....I mean it's not like you can go to Walgreens and walk I. And say yes I would like 40mg of kenalog please.

Members don't see this ad :)
A single administration of a therapeutic agent is hardly “drug management,” but I’m sure there is a coding lecture somewhere where it is justified.

Even if it is, how does the medication for your CPT code justify the e/m level of complexity when they really should be “separately identifiable” from one another in most cases?

A single administration of a therapeutic agent is hardly “drug management,” but I’m sure there is a coding lecture somewhere where it is justified.

Even if it is, how does the medication for your CPT code justify the e/m level of complexity when they really should be “separately identifiable” from one another in most cases?
Just to be a stinker, how many doses would be considered "drug management?" 2 pills of colchicine? 5 days of antibiotics? A medrol dose pack?

I do agree with the injection, that it would be most likely incorporated with the CPT code and not separately identifiable.

This is an easy one. Why did you give them an injection? Was it better than risks of prolonged NSAID use with your patient having GERD? Just have some discussion in your notes. Spend time writing a cohesive plan. A coder who took a weekend course is the first line reviewing your notes in an audit not some PCP.

Reactions: 1 users
Why did you give them an injection? Was it better than risks of prolonged NSAID use with your patient having GERD?

but this aspect of e/m is built into the CPT you billed for the injection.

I disagree that the injection reimbursement actually covers any e/m component (from a $ standpoint) but Medicare says it does and that matters more than my feelings on the topic.

Just to be a stinker, how many doses would be considered "drug management?" 2 pills of colchicine? 5 days of antibiotics? A medrol dose pack?

all of those. The difference is that you are managing the prescription for a condition you are treating as part of the e/m you’re billing. Not justifying the drug used procedurally (with its own CPT code) for some separate e/m level of complexity.

I disagree that the injection reimbursement actually covers any e/m component (from a $ standpoint) but Medicare says it does and that matters more than my feelings on the topic.
Yes absolutely.

If this is an established patient with HR/HL and you do a steroid injection after NSAID fails on the second visit then the e/m is bundled into the injection.

However in a new patient visit where you evaluate them, order and review an x-ray, discuss various options on conservative and surgical treatment then slap that -25 on it and -59 the injection code.

I would say its a prescription drug, can cause fascia rupture and blood glucose alterations. I've heard the argument that "management" is for ongoing management of a prescription such as refills, but I would argue that the first dose requires management as well to evaluate for drug interactions, risk of allergy, side effect discussion, etc.

The problem here is the artificial nature of the billing rules, reimbursement, CPT set-up, how our time is valued etc.

Have I personally tried to talk/describe my way into how an injection is an E&M? Yes.

Is it right? Probably not. Dtrack is probably the most correct on this. The injection of a steroid is BEST described by the CPT code for an injection.

Also described by Dtrack - The CPT code includes a pre-op/E&M component that theoretically accounts for the time you spent describing the injection.

Is the reimbursement for an injection through Medicare adequate? Hells to the no. In fact, it wasn't adequate before they changed the RVUs on E&M codes. The RVU change to E&M visits accentuated the terrible reimbursement structure of the injection. They increased the value of E&M visits but they didn't increase the E&M value that is built into the CPT codes increasing the disparity between them.

Shouldn't you just bill an E&M to describe the factors you took into account ie. diabetes, hyperglycemia, blood thinner, CV risk, etc use along the with the injection. You are free to try if the significant, separate nature exists. We are supposed to use the 25 modifier, but its future is probably fraught. 25 is the difference in my opinion between money and no money and in certain areas it is simply 100% rejected outright with your practice having to contest every single case. I personally write 2 separate pargraphs and aim for separate diagnoses when I use it to try and show my thought process - and it sucks. Perhaps a local issue, but Aetna does everything they can to deny reimbursement for any injection + a follow-up visit. I recently did an STJ injection on a patient, reviewed their MRI with them, and planned an ankle scope. Aetna denied the visit. Wasn't the first time.

I personally often wonder if higher 25 use is more likely to lead to an audit. Like if 20550+99212 paid exactly the same as 99213 I feel like 99213 would be safer/less likely to result in a denial. 99212+ anything just seems like the easiest thing to deny. Its like they are saying - we know 99212 is supposed to be nothing.

I said this previously - Medicare created this "problem" with how they reimburse visits. Decent BCBS plans ie. PPO, federal, non-HMO plans reimburse in my area like $75-$80ish dollars for both E&M and injection. The difference is so trivial its not worth thinking about. By creating a $46 (something like that) difference they've really accentuated in our minds just how silly the whole thing is. How most follow-up visits where the patient is still in pain are mostly identical.

What's my devils's advocate response to all this. I suppose an impartial "industry podiatist" person on the other side would say - look, you hate the low $ follow-up visit but when it came down to it you were happy to cash in the injection on top of other services that were all really part of the same problem. ie. You did a 99203/73620 for instability and equinus and added the injection for plantar fasciitis to get yourself to $190-200ish, but that visit was really just a plantar fasciitis visit. Take the good with the bad.

I think we can survive this. Our real enemy is Medicare Advantage plans paying percentages of Medicare and private insurance that is racing to pay Medicare rates for surgery.

16. When auditing MDM, is there a list of drugs considered “drug therapy requiring intensive monitoring for toxicity?”
CMS itself has not provided such a list for use with the 1995 or 1997 guidelines. This question is answered in the CPT changes for 2021:
“Drug therapy requiring intensive monitoring for toxicity: A drug that requires intensive monitoring is a therapeutic agent that has the potential to cause serious morbidity or death. The monitoring is performed for assessment of these adverse effects and not primarily for assessment of therapeutic efficacy. The monitoring should be that which is generally accepted practice for the agent but may be patient specific in some cases. Intensive monitoring may be long-term or short term. Long-term intensive monitoring is not less than quarterly. The monitoring may be by a lab test, a physiologic test or imaging. Monitoring by history or examination does not qualify. The monitoring affects the level of medical decision making in an encounter in which it is considered in the management of the patient. Examples may include monitoring for a cytopenia in the use of an antineoplastic agent between dose cycles or the short-term intensive monitoring of electrolytes and renal function in a patient who is undergoing diuresis. Examples of monitoring that does not qualify include monitoring glucose levels during insulin therapy as the primary reason is the therapeutic effect (even if hypoglycemia is a concern); or annual electrolytes and renal function for a patient on a diuretic as the frequency does not meet the threshold.”

------
Time to order LFTs on all terbinafine cases for that 99214!

So I wonder if you do BP checks on all patients for meaningful use could you see if BP increased on NSAIDs and call that monitoring.

Reactions: 1 user