Prescribing yourself Insulin

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
That's kind of sad and disheartening. Not because I think I am better than you and won't do that in the future, but likely that I know the system will beat me down just like it has to you.

You'll soon realize that you as a physician need the job more than the hospital needs you especially if you're not a big earner for the hospital. You're just another cog in the wheel. That's why I advocate smart financial moves, minimal debt. Having financial independence gives you that "**** you" money aspect. You're not beholden to a job because it pays your mortgage etc.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Lol @ OP getting twisted over some doc giving himself insulin. Meanwhile, every night thousands of these various pages and conversations occur:

RN: “Are you familiar with Mr Smith in room xyz? He's requesting [insert favorite opioid], can I give it to him?”
On-call resident: “zzzz... who? No. What? Hurrr durrr.... sure, put in a one time order (drool), zzzzzzz.”

Reactions: 1 users
Lol @ OP getting twisted over some doc giving himself insulin. Meanwhile, every night thousands of these various pages and conversations occur:

RN: “Are you familiar with Mr Smith in room xyz? He's requesting [insert favorite opioid], can I give it to him?”
On-call resident: “zzzz... who? No. What? Hurrr durrr.... sure, put in a one time order (drool), zzzzzzz.”
I'm not getting twisted, I'm just curious. I haven't encountered something like this before and wondering what the general consensus is. I agree there are probably a lot more worst things going on in the medical field.

Members don't see this ad :)
It's a lot easier to just give the patient what they want than to spend time discussing the negatives of opioids with both the nurse and the patient. "But the patient is in pain!?!" Yeah that's because they had their belly split open, pain is a normal thing.

You just don't have the time or energy to fight the system when you have too many patients to cover and you get exactly zero benefit from doing so and may just generate patient complaints and or official nursing complaints.

I ran into a doctor during some shadowing the other day who is a type 1 diabetic and he says that he writes his own insulin prescriptions to reduce hassle.

Is this ethical? I'm assuming in most cases people would raise an eyebrow?

He doesn't do this, but as a hypothetical could he use the insulin samples often given to those deal with patients who need it?

Everyone draws the line in a different spot.

I think any physician would agree that you should not write yourself or any close family members a prescription for a controlled substance in almost any circumstance. My personal line is you shouldn't write one *ever* - if you're somewhere where a pharmacy is open, there's almost certainly an urgent care or an ER available - but some will argue "maybe" for something like a 2 day course of opiates for a broken bone until they can get in and seen by an orthopedist.

Once you get past controlled substances, it gets a lot more blurry. I'm perfectly capable of assessing Centor's criteria on pharyngitis. I'm a board certified internist (and have even heard Robert Centor himself speak before, not that that matters). If my wife has an absence of cough, tonsillar exudates so clear I can see them across the room, a fever, and adenopathy? I feel comfortable writing her an augmentin scrip. Done it before, would do it again. If a relative runs out of their prescription triamcinolone or something and they want a new scrip? I can probably deal with that. I'm willing to prescribe myself something in this situation as well.

What I won't do is prescribe any medication that requires monitoring. I'm an Endocrinologist but won't prescribe my wife Levothyroxine. Why? Because then she wouldn't go get her TSH drawn with her PCP.

In addition, I agree with the above poster that I won't prescribe any psychiatric medications. I think you can get into questions about how objectively you are in assessing the patient's mood, and I don't want to do that.

Technically speaking, you need to document something for any scrip. But that something can be a slip of paper you just write a short note on - it's not like you're billing for it. I can't say I always bother when it's myself or my wife though. What's she going to do, sue me?

Oh, and if I was diabetic, I'd prescribe myself insulin any day of the week. I would hope that's one medicine I know how to manage by this point, and self-monitoring is fine.

Well its actually kinda weird. I was pretty strict in my DPC practice and in 2 years only lost 2 patients over it. I think part of it there was that patients could very easily get in touch with me so when I'd say "Give it a few days and let me know how you're doing" they knew that a) I meant it and b) it would be super easy to contact me.

But then doing UC and corporate DPC patients complained almost daily.

I guess long story short, if you're building your own practice you can train your patients on how you do things. If you're taking over someone else's practice and try to change thing, patients get pissed off.

That’s really depressing especially since there are SO MANY campaigns to explain the fact that viral URIs don’t require or get better with antibiotics. The general public just dgaf. It’s really truly disheartening. I’m sorry you ended up in that position.

I’m sure I’ll end up in a similar position as a cardiologist (“well my primary thinks I have heart blockages and I WILL get a stress test!”) but I’ll definitely try to avoid it.

It's a lot easier to just give the patient what they want than to spend time discussing the negatives of opioids with both the nurse and the patient. "But the patient is in pain!?!" Yeah that's because they had their belly split open, pain is a normal thing.

You just don't have the time or energy to fight the system when you have too many patients to cover and you get exactly zero benefit from doing so and may just generate patient complaints and or official nursing complaints.

Luckily, in psychiatry, the nurses know that we will basically refuse any request for new opiates that aren't part of an established pain regimen (other than like buprenorphine which . . . generally if someone's asking for that, it's going to be much better for me to give them 2 mg than deal with them 3 hours later at 2 AM when they decide to try to Hulk out of the hospital in between episodes of vomiting and diarrhea).

What we do get a lot of is somatic complaints that don't need intervention and ideally wouldn't be validated. However, when you're the only doctor in the hospital that night, consideration needs to be paid to milieu management. There are too many patients at night for me to sit there and give them my somatization spiel about how "What you're feeling is real and it sounds pretty uncomfortable. Sometimes when people are revved up or feeling depressed they become sensitive to things they wouldn't otherwise notice. I think what you're really feeling is your depression/anxiety/whatever, but the bright side is that we're here to help, you will get better from this and when you do these symptoms will get a lot better too, etc."

Overnight, you sometimes just have to keep people quiet at the risk of rewarding crummy behavior. If people get agitated or aggressive because you didn't do something stupid they wanted, it creates a lot of problems, including:
  1. Patient can get hurt
  2. Other patients can get hurt
  3. Staff can get hurt
  4. Patient can wind up getting snowed or restrained
  5. Patient can resolve to leave AMA, which could result in #1
  6. Patient can disrupt the milieu in a way that unfairly compromises the healing environment for other patients
  7. A ton of work for the resident overnight

I think it's considered a privilege of being a doctor. But times are changing, and it's probably best to avoid prescribing to yourself or for family members, unless in cases of emergency.
What's the big deal with basic drugs? Literally no reason to waste a couple hours for a zpak.

That’s really depressing especially since there are SO MANY campaigns to explain the fact that viral URIs don’t require or get better with antibiotics. The general public just dgaf. It’s really truly disheartening. I’m sorry you ended up in that position.

I’m sure I’ll end up in a similar position as a cardiologist (“well my primary thinks I have heart blockages and I WILL get a stress test!”) but I’ll definitely try to avoid it.
Gotta earn those RVUs

Thoughts on surgeons prescribing themselves adderall for long surgeri...I mean, ADHD?

Thoughts on surgeons prescribing themselves adderall for long surgeri...I mean, ADHD?
Try to prescribe yourself controlled substances and you'll get a quick lesson in penalties from the DEA and state licensing boards. No pharmacy is going to fill that.

Reactions: 3 users
Try to prescribe yourself controlled substances and you'll get a quick lesson in penalties from the DEA and state licensing boards. No pharmacy is going to fill that.
Well while I haven't actually heard of any of them writing themselves prescriptions, I know several who get scripts from an in-network psychologist or under the table from colleagues. Definitely pretty prevalent in the surgical residents here.

I know several who get scripts from an in-network psychologist
Do you mean psychiatrist? Very few states allow psychologists to prescribe meds.

Well while I haven't actually heard of any of them writing themselves prescriptions, I know several who get scripts from an in-network psychologist or under the table from colleagues. Definitely pretty prevalent in the surgical residents here.
That's not self-prescribing then, is it?

Reactions: 3 users