Prescribe and adios?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Neonderthal_Misc

Reaction score
Is prescription medication the only real treatment neurologists can devise for their patients? Plenty of non-invasive testing is beneficial, such as EEG's, EMG's, neuroimaging, electrodes, etc. along with the assistance of CT and MRI scans. Some subspecialized brain docs also do Botox, but this is something "unimpressive" in terms of having procedural skill. Other than this, the usual treatment for any neurological disorder is mostly "we can try a combination of these pills" or "take this in intervals between periods ___ and ___". I really do not want my only treatment option to be something that will eventually be dispensed by a robot in the near future.

It is truly a shame that it has come to this. I'm absolutely FASCINATED by neurology, but outside of my scientific interest, it just seems like such an empty specialty. Neurologists can brag about how much they know, but when it comes to what they do, it's more akin to sitting in a chair and theorizing about possible treatments rather than actually committing to them.

It's also unfortunate that neurosurgery has taken hold of many of the interventional procedures relating to neuro diseases. Neurology should have done the same thing Cardiology has, and taken over interventions from a "surgery lite" point of view.

Very disappointing. I want to be a brain doctor who actually does stuff, but it seems like there are only two extremes - sacrifice your entire life to do neurosurgery, or specialize in the medical side with very low income, few treatments and diminishing respect among the community.

I'm just so into neurology at this point but the "effectiveness" scope of the specialty just seems so frustrating. If you love the field so much, is the payoff of being "just a diagnostician" worth it?

Members don't see this ad.

• Dislike
Reactions: 1 user
Status
Not open for further replies.