Prerequisites

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

alda1921

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

I have received a diploma in BS Biology in the December of 2017, and I'm taking the MCAT on 5th of May. I'm planning to apply this cycle, and I would like to know how do medical school look at the prerequisites.

The main reason is because I've transferred 2 classes (8 credits of Chemistry) from an international University, and those credits were evaluated and accepted at my undergraduate institution, however, AMCAS doesn't accept any international credits, not even as transferred and now I'm worried that I would have to wait for one more year and take chemistry again. I have completed 2 semesters of Organic, and one semester of Biochemistry, and all the other.

Is there a chance that medical schools can accept those credits, and that I won't have to take them again?

Thank you.

Members don't see this ad.

Hi all,

I have received a diploma in BS Biology in the December of 2017, and I'm taking the MCAT on 5th of May. I'm planning to apply this cycle, and I would like to know how do medical school look at the prerequisites.

The main reason is because I've transferred 2 classes (8 credits of Chemistry) from an international University, and those credits were evaluated and accepted at my undergraduate institution, however, AMCAS doesn't accept any international credits, not even as transferred and now I'm worried that I would have to wait for one more year and take chemistry again. I have completed 2 semesters of Organic, and one semester of Biochemistry, and all the other.

Is there a chance that medical schools can accept those credits, and that I won't have to take them again?

Thank you.

Just going out on a limb here but you will probably have to retake.

You’ll have to retake, but you can do this as you apply! Most schools make it so you have your pre-reqs done before matriculation, not application. However, if there are exceptions you have to research the schools you’re looking into and find out.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
You’ll have to retake, but you can do this as you apply! Most schools make it so you have your pre-reqs done before matriculation, not application. However, if there are exceptions you have to research the schools you’re looking into and find out.
So I could submit my application, but I would have to have register for those classes in the meantime?

So I could submit my application, but I would have to have register for those classes in the meantime?

Yes. Just look into school specifics, but from my own account, most don’t care as long as they’re done before you matriculate.

You will have to complete the missing prerequisite courses prior to matriculation. The schools will want updated transcripts to confirm that you indeed fulfilled all prerequisites. Knock those out and do well in them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: 1 user
You will have to complete the missing prerequisite courses prior to matriculation. The schools will want updated transcripts to confirm that you indeed fulfilled all prerequisites. Knock those out and do well in them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thank you so much for the response. So would I have to write anything additionally in the application as to explain that I’m taking the classes or how does that work?

Thank you.

Thank you so much for the response. So would I have to write anything additionally in the application as to explain that I’m taking the classes or how does that work?

Thank you.

There is a place to put all planned coursework on the AMCAS application.

Reactions: 1 users
Thank you so much for your reply. Just to clarify, I've taken Analytical Chemistry I and II in Europe, and I've transferred the credits to my undegrad through certified US evaluation, and received TR - Transferred as grade (my real grade was 6 which is equivalent to C here). These credits were accepted and substituted as General Chemistry I and II.

Are you saying based on the AMCAS guide, that the schools WILL accept the credits, but the AMCAS will NOT list them as they are from the foreign institution?

"Courses attempted independently (not through a study abroad program) at a foreign institution
must be listed if the credit has been transferred to a U.S. or Canadian institution by using a credit
hour system convertible to semester hours."

- Based on this information, does this mean that there is an option in the application to list those credits, or do I have specify that somewhere else?

And since you are saying that the prerequisites will only be looked once I'm accepted to a medical school, then since they are transferred they won't show in the application nor GPA, or they will be shown in the application but not GPA?

Thank you so much for taking the time to answer these for me. I'm stressing out because I've received these information recently and I'm taking MCAT in 3 weeks.

Thank you once again!

Let me see if I can straighten this out

1) If you have both credits assigned and a letter grade assigned as transfer to a US school from a foreign institution, then your coursework would be included in AMCAS GPA
2) If you have the credit assigned as transfer that appears on a US transcript but no grade, you still must include the course on AMCAS but it will not used in GPA calculation. Therefore, the medical schools will be aware of the situation
3) US medical schools may accept the coursework from a foreign school towards prereqs (and are more likely to do so if the courses were evaluated and accepted for transfer). However, they are not required to do so. You will likely need to produce the transcript evaluation showing your had the equivalent of A to the individual medical school as a condition of matriculation
4) You should make note of this coursework on your secondary application where possible in a brief 2 line entry

I consider this a low risk issue.

Thank you once again.

So you're saying that I should not worry for right now and that I should focus on the MCAT haha? Either way I still have time to even take those classes again if I have to, as they can be completed before matriculation?

FOCUS ON THE MCAT AND SLAP THE REST OF THIS SH!!!T OUT OF YOUR HEAD

We can straighten you out on all this later. It will not be an issue

Thank you for the words of encouragement hahah. I appreciate this honestly!