Prereq. info.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

nomorelaw

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the replies to my earlier post. I was accepted into a post-bac program and will take gen chem 1 and bio 1 this spring. problem is i only took algebra 1 in college (14 years ago - i did not do well. too much partying frosh year). will my lack of math be a problem? can anyone recommend books for gen chem? thanks.

also, my ugpa w/o science is 3.34. is that acceptable for d schools?

Members don't see this ad.

Some dental schools want to see a full year of math on your transcripts, which should include pre-calculus. If it has been a long time since you have taken algebra and think your quantitative abilities are a bit out of shape, then you might want to take a refresher course before jumping into a more advanced course. As far as good general chemistry books, I liked Exam Krackers and Kaplan has a good section in their blue book which covers most of the basics. Your science gpa is at a healthy average for detnal school matriculates. Good luck with your program and keep up the good work! :thumbup:

nomorelaw said:
Thanks for the replies to my earlier post. I was accepted into a post-bac program and will take gen chem 1 and bio 1 this spring. problem is i only took algebra 1 in college (14 years ago - i did not do well. too much partying frosh year). will my lack of math be a problem? can anyone recommend books for gen chem? thanks.

also, my ugpa w/o science is 3.34. is that acceptable for d schools?

That's quite a while to be out of math. as long as you can get something to study with, you should be ok in GCHM. I took 2 algebra classes a couple of years before GCHM and did just fine in the classes. You might need a little extra effort to brush up, but that will depend on you. You may want to think about taking a trigonometry class before you start physics or take the DAT. I didn't, and scored lower on my QR section, but so far, I'm learning it through physics. I would have scored much better on QR just for knowing some the trig I've learned after about 4 weeks of physics.