Prereq Inconsistency

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sam0090

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score

I’ve been curious to know if anyone that is presently enrolled in a DPT program has gotten in with one minor blemish on their prerequisites? My problem point is coming from the first semester of freshman bio with a C. The rest of my grades are all in the A range, with mixed Bs for my prereq sciences (including the second semester of biology.) Would this one C severely hurt my chances of admission into a DPT program (currently looking to apply to several in Texas)? I’ve been wrestling with the decision to retake the class and just wanted a second opinion on someone who’d been in a similar situation. Thanks much!

Members don't see this ad.

Hi! I am graduating from UVA in May with a degree in Sports Medicine and was just accepted to VCU's DPT program beginning June 25th. My pre-req grades were a source of concern (for me, not the school) because in Chemistry my first year, I received 2 C-'s (1 for each semester of Chem!). Yet, I still was accepted into VCU (a top 25 PT program). I did explain some things about these grades in one of my essays. I have also worked hard to bring up my GPA from that class and have made the Dean's List a lot since then, making almost all A's every semester. My chemistry lecture and lab were graded separately (the C- was in lecture, I got A's in lab) and I think this may have helped also. Many schools combine the two for one grade in the course. Well, I hope I helped!!

Elaine

some schools do not even require Bio as a prereq

Members don't see this ad :)

As cyrus44 said im sure a PT school is more interested in your knowledge of the anatomy and other more detiled sciences needed to be successful as a PT, not your core class sciences. If not, anyone who made an A could be your PT...yikes:scared:

:eek: Are you serious? All the schools in Texas required 1 year of Bio, Chem, Physics, and Anatomy when I applied. Maybe things have changed. To the OP, I had a C in physics and retook for an A. No problems getting in. You should be fine if the balance of your application is strong. Good luck.

It really just depends on the school and the applicant pool at the time. For instance, right now at my university it's harder to get in PT school than med school, and the advisors will tell you that straight up when they look at your transcripts.

talk with the schools that you want to apply to, some are nice and do the 3.0 in the last 60 hours of course work they'll look at it how ever best benefits you