Medical Preparing for USMLE exams as an IMG in the midst of a postdoc research: is it doable?

Status
Not open for further replies.

lord999

Moderator Emeritus
Lifetime Donor
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello.
There's this question that has been nagging me for quite a while and needs a well-guided answer since it pretty much determines my future course towards residency applications in the US.
It's been almost 3 years since I graduated with an MBBS degree. This duration includes a year of post-grad internship at a local hospital, passing the UK medical licensing exams(which seemed favorable at the time) and actively working as a senior medical officer. However, the goal is to get Matched for US medical training since I believe the medical systems there to be far superior than any other.
My dilemma is that I have not yet given any USMLE exams but I have prior research experience in the US as a visiting medical student. Now that I am being offered a 1 year research assistant slot at a US hospital, should I take it OR my priority should be to take my Step exams first. I do not want to lose such an opportunity but neither do I want to find myself in a position where research becomes the primary focus and the USMLE exams completely take a back step. After all, the exams are fundamental for being eligible to apply. I feel stuck:(
Your guidance is highly valued.
If you want to license in the US, you have to pass the hurdle. There can be no evaluation of your chances without a Step 1 score (and possibly Step 2 if you have GMC Full Registration). What does research do for you if you want to practice as you state in your goal? Yes, it's an opportunity cost, but if you do research depending on the lab, they are not sympathetic to studies, and IMG's have to score especially well to match for even less competitive slots.

Members don't see this ad.

Status
Not open for further replies.