"Preparing for the Marathon": resources for the new application cycle

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Mr.Smile12

Admissions advisor
Staff member
Lifetime Donor
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
We'll likely be reprinting the text of the article in a few weeks into the Premed forums, but I wanted to give people a chance to let me know if I'm missing any essential advice for those about to start the application process.

Members don't see this ad.

I didn’t see anything in there about not applying to schools that will leave you $500,000+ in debt…

Big Hoss
Someone should put that in a comment to the article... ;)

(Waiting for med school COA calculations to get to that level before enough people think we're not scaremongering... )

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Waiting for med school COA calculations to get to that level before enough people think we're not scaremongering
Every once in a while there will be someone on the med forums complaining about their student loans. I’ll tell them to be grateful that they’re not at a dental school that will leave them $800,000 in debt. Invariably they’re blown away by the mess some future dentists are getting into.

Big Hoss

IMG_0837.jpeg

To answer the fundamental question of this article, the answer is a resounding yes! And, this was published over a decade ago. Have things gotten any better since?

Predents, you had better do your homework…

Big Hoss

Every once in a while there will be someone on the med forums complaining about their student loans. I’ll tell them to be grateful that they’re not at a dental school that will leave them $800,000 in debt. Invariably they’re blown away by the mess some future dentists are getting into.

Big Hoss
Spreading the good word…

Big Hoss

• Love
Spreading the good word…

Big Hoss
What do you say to the person pursuing a career as a dentist, and is only accepted at schools with 500,000+ loans? (They love the field, can't see themselves doing anything else, don't mind being poor but finding a meaningful life through the field etc.)

What do you say to the person pursuing a career as a dentist, and is only accepted at schools with 500,000+ loans?

IMG_0843.gif

They love the field, can't see themselves doing anything else, don't mind being poor but finding a meaningful life through the field etc.
At some point, this “passion” will turn into “just a job.” And, then what?

Big Hoss