preparing for ORL

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

btlwhulka

20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I know this is a general and worn out question, but I would still like to hear input. Do you have any advice for a MSII about getting into ORL. I've read and heard it is supercompetitive, so what would be things I can do to set myself apart (other than smoking boards and GPA) and earn acceptance into an ORL residency? And, how good do my scores really have to be?

Thank you.

Members don't see this ad.

btlwhulka said:
I know this is a general and worn out question, but I would still like to hear input. Do you have any advice for a MSII about getting into ORL. I've read and heard it is supercompetitive, so what would be things I can do to set myself apart (other than smoking boards and GPA) and earn acceptance into an ORL residency? And, how good do my scores really have to be?

Thank you.

I have always said that research is what sets people apart. Contact some of the program staff and state that you would like to help do some research. Ours are always looking for help with various projects.

I would shoot for above 230 on the Step I.

since we're doing old tired out questions,
What helped people decide between General Surgery and ORL.
I feel like even by the time I get to my ORL elective and sub I,
1. I will have to "essentially" already made the decision
i.e. I will be doing ORL electives etc in leiu of General surgery electives... I am assuming ORL PD may not care as much abt SICU electives vs. ORL aways.

2. I can read about the procedures all I want but its heard to compare w. real life. Tons of things are more interesting the clinic/lab than they are in a book... and vise versa.

--I feel like a major mitigating factor for me is that I know Ill probably want to work until they plant me... With the exception of DeBeaky It seems as though there are more options for remaining active clinically in ORL than GS in the golden years....
thoughts... input?

Joel Fleischman said:
since we're doing old tired out questions,
What helped people decide between General Surgery and ORL.
I feel like even by the time I get to my ORL elective and sub I,
1. I will have to "essentially" already made the decision
i.e. I will be doing ORL electives etc in leiu of General surgery electives... I am assuming ORL PD may not care as much abt SICU electives vs. ORL aways.

2. I can read about the procedures all I want but its heard to compare w. real life. Tons of things are more interesting the clinic/lab than they are in a book... and vise versa.

--I feel like a major mitigating factor for me is that I know Ill probably want to work until they plant me... With the exception of DeBeaky It seems as though there are more options for remaining active clinically in ORL than GS in the golden years....
thoughts... input?

Find a local Oto doc and shadow him for a few days. Seeing what an average Oto does day to day was very helpful to me. I have seen GS's and Oto's both work late in their careers. Otos can continue to work in clinic after they stop operating, which I don't know to be the case with g-surg.